WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows XP Boot Disc Freezes on "Windows Setup" Screen EmptyWindows XP Boot Disc Freezes on "Windows Setup" Screen

more_horiz
Evening All

I recently got some nasty virus on my PC (W32/Virut.Gen or something). After seeing what could be done, it was apparent that the best way to get back to a properly working system would be to re-format the HDD and re-install Windows.

So, I've backed up the things I wanted to save by using Knoppix to access my files, bypassing Windows (but not any .exe files) and put my Windows XP Setup CD in. I changed the settings to boot from CD first and waited to go through the joyous occasion of re-installing windows. However, it got me onto the 1st blue screen that has "Windows Setup" at the top, and froze. Before it did, my floppy drive buzzed a little and the orange light on it came on. After that, the CD drive stopped spinning and the floppy drive light has stayed on.

I should have known it wouldn't be as simple as that. This virus seems to have really done a number on my machine! I've tried with my Sister's Windows setup disc and the same thing happened. Now, I get the feeling it's not a good sign, and that the virus has mucked around with something other than my .exe files, but I'm hoping someone here has been through the same thing or can help point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Chris

descriptionWindows XP Boot Disc Freezes on "Windows Setup" Screen EmptyRe: Windows XP Boot Disc Freezes on "Windows Setup" Screen

more_horiz
Since you are reinstalling Windows, I would use a tool like GParted to delete the NTFS partition already on the drive.

descriptionWindows XP Boot Disc Freezes on "Windows Setup" Screen EmptyRe: Windows XP Boot Disc Freezes on "Windows Setup" Screen

more_horiz
Cheers for that. I've downloaded GParted and will give it a go tomorrow. Ta Smile...

more_horiz
Good luck! Big Grin

more_horiz
Ok. I burned GParted to disc, ran it on my XP machine, deleted the 2 partitions that are on my hard drive, then re-booted and ran the Windows XP setup disc, but the same thing happened...floppy drive buzzed, and its light stays on while the setup freezes on the same screen.

Cheers for the tip, but do you think there's anything else I can try?

more_horiz
I ended up using Dariks Boot and Nuke software to wipe the hard drive again and this sorted the problem out Big Grin

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum