WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionhelp!!!!! setting up a wireless network between windows xp & 7 Emptyhelp!!!!! setting up a wireless network between windows xp & 7

more_horiz
I am computer support student over in a community 2yr college, what we do in there is mainly computer support, not networking.
I have at home a laptop running windows 7 home premium 64bit, and a pc running windows xp pro SP3 86x, on the side I have a lynksinc wireless router on which both of my systems are connected with the sole purpose of having an internet shared connection, however I would like to stream my computing to the next level up by sharing files and folders between systems, I have done a quite bit of research and already set up a workgroup on which both of my systems are shown, the problem is that Im stuck in there, can't really access each others' files from the opposite machines, does anybody knows of a good site that would have answers to all of my questions, thanks

descriptionhelp!!!!! setting up a wireless network between windows xp & 7 EmptyRe: help!!!!! setting up a wireless network between windows xp & 7

more_horiz
Welcome to GeekPolice!

Well, if you have gone as for as you do, already seeing the other machine, it is just a matter of created shared folders, I think.
Start in your XP machine, i.e. go find a folder that you want to share, rightclick ==> properties ==> sharing ==> share the folder. In this way you can share folders and disks: Now if you go to your WIN7 computer and find the XP computer in your workgroup and double click it, shared folders should be visible.

descriptionhelp!!!!! setting up a wireless network between windows xp & 7 EmptyRe: help!!!!! setting up a wireless network between windows xp & 7

more_horiz
actually i beleive a link between windows 7 and xp cannot be made (not positive)

more_horiz
xald wrote:
actually i beleive a link between windows 7 and xp cannot be made (not positive)

Of course it can. Come see my home network Big Grin

more_horiz
sorry i just read some where that it couldnt

more_horiz
hey guys thanks for all the replies, I did indeed created the shares in my xp machine, my windows 7 laptop actually sees them, but when I try to open the shares from the other machine, it says something like, "folder inaccessible, you dont have permision to view this folder", I already right clicked the folders and enabled folder sharing in both the security tab and the sharing tab, I even gave administrators full control of this shares but nothing I do seems to work, I would greatly appreciated if I could be provided with a webpage or podcast on how to do this

thanks

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum