WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionlocate C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ikhlayer.sys so i can delete it Emptylocate C:Windowssystem32driversikhlayer.sys so i can delete it

more_horiz
So here’s the problem:
I got the blue screen with error messages on it a few times and posted the technical data and a Hijackthis scan log to the Virus, Spyware, and Malware forum, and Whocrashed as advised by Belahzur, and after further advising I ran a scan with WhoCrashed and “C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ikhlayer.sys” came up as a problem which Belahzur advised me to delete. So I went into the drivers folder and “ikhlayer.sys” was nowhere to be found. I did a system search for it and similarly found nothing. I did another whocrashed scan and it found it so I went back and tried to search for it manually and again didn’t find it.
What should I do? I need my computer to run!
Also is my computer on its last legs or should it be fine in theory if I just work the latest bug out?

Thanks!

descriptionlocate C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ikhlayer.sys so i can delete it EmptyRe: locate C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ikhlayer.sys so i can delete it

more_horiz
by the way this is the most recent STop error message I got:

***STOP: 0X00000008E (0X0000003, 0X805127BE8, 0XEEEC2CB64, 0x00000000)

descriptionlocate C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ikhlayer.sys so i can delete it EmptyRe: locate C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ikhlayer.sys so i can delete it

more_horiz
They're most probably due to faulty/incompatible RAM. Please perform these memory tests:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1565

http://www.memtest.org/

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

locate C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ikhlayer.sys so i can delete it Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
I am having trouble with getting this thing to work. The article says the following:

"To use Memtest86+ first download either the pre-compiled floppy disk image or the bootable ISO CD image.

"Unzip the downloaded file and create your bootable disk by either running the 'install' program (for the floppy disk image) or creating a CD from the ISO image by using a program like Nero or Easy CD Creator."

Ok so i download and open the thing (the CD version) and I am already confused by some stuff that I get the feeling should be obvious but it isn't:
So I have this "boot.cat" and the "memtest.IMG" - do I just write those to a CD or do I do something else with them? If I do something else with them, i have a problem: Windows XP doesn't know what to do with either file.

Do I put the IMG on CD and then reboot? What about the Boot.cat?

Please pardon my density.

more_horiz
By the way, the blue screen thing never happens when I am in safe mode. Ever. I am in safe mode right now. Also I have had this computer since like 06 or so, maybe 07, and until recently, I only ever had this problem once in all of that time. This computer was purchased directly from Dell.

more_horiz
To create a bootable memtest86+ CD, download the .ISO image from here, unzip it and burn it to CD using e.g. ImgBurn or another burning program of your choice.

Then restart PC and start up from the CD.

BTW: ikhlayer.sys appears to be related with PCTools Spyware Doctor. Do you have this installed and have you tried to uninstall it and see if the problem persists? I´d try that before spending a CD Smile...

Hope this helps!

more_horiz
I haven't had a chance to try any of this stuff (and i am writing from another computer right now) but i just wanted to ask in the meantime the following:

if I'm running my machine in normal mode and this blue screen thing happens again, is damage being done to it? I do not intend to just live with the problem or something, but I want to know permanent damage isn't happening when it goes to blue screen.

Thanks again!

more_horiz
Permanent damage to you hardware caused by software is quite unlikely. It is however possible that your hardware is about to die and any kind of use is going to finish it off - few can be done then.

more_horiz
Gabethebabe wrote:
Permanent damage to you hardware caused by software is quite unlikely. It is however possible that your hardware is about to die and any kind of use is going to finish it off - few can be done then.

I c. Am I in danger of loosing all of my data or just having the machine die?

more_horiz
You will not quickly lose your data - harddisks can be taken out and data recovered.
If it is the HD that crashes, this may be a tad more difficult, but dishing out some cash can get you the service of specialized experts in data recovery from crashed HD´s. They can recover stuff from HD´s that were thrown out of a 4-story window.

more_horiz
still have't had a chance to create the CD. I the meantime, for most of a year now, my cooling fan has been somewhat clogged with dust and has been making odd sounds. Do you think that may have had something to do with these problems?

more_horiz
bump

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum