WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Dell Laptop battery problem

4 posters

descriptionDell Laptop battery problem EmptyDell Laptop battery problem

more_horiz
Hi All

this is my first topic on the forum

Ive been given a Dell Inspiron 1000 by a neighbour to have a look at because of a few problems. I've cleared up most of what needed to be done. The only problem im still having is with the battery. On boot, it says battery needs to be recaibrated and I go into the recalibration utility (after been given the option for this or to boot OS). On step 1 it charges the battery and goes to 100% then tells me to go to Stop 2 to remove AC adaptor and press a key to continue, and let the battery run down. I removed the adaptor and screen goes blank. one of the system lights stayed on and the battery light flashed on and off for about an hour then went off.

Still when i boot it up its the same thing all over again. I've tried recalibration a few times but nothing. Only the last time I tried the battery started on 3% and stayed there during step 1.

The laptop does not power at all and no lights come on or anything when power button is pressed without AC plug. It will only power up when plugged in and powered via AC plug.

Does this mean the battery is dead, or coming to the last of its days? (I believe these Inspiron 1000 batteries have short life)

In Device Manager the ACPI-Compliant Battery is apparently working properly...??

Any advices is appreciated. Just want to be sure of the problem before I return the laptop

thanks

descriptionDell Laptop battery problem EmptyRe: Dell Laptop battery problem

more_horiz
Yes, it most likely is dead or about to be dead.

Dell batteries are not as good of quality as other batteries on the market. I know that because I have a Dell laptop. I have had it for almost a year and a half, and now I have to replace my battery.

My battery was a one hour battery, and up until now, it deteriorated and now it only lasts for 20 minutes, then I have to plug in. I am working on grabbing a much better battery, a 9 cell.

I hope you can get the situation worked out. Like my story states, their batteries suck. I would recommend a replacement...oh and they are not cheap. Goofy

more_horiz
Thanks DragonMaster.

I had a look at a few batteries just incase, never thought they'd be that expensive.

I'll be looking at buying a new laptop for myself in (hopefully) the not too distant future. Not really looking to Dell so much now after reading more into their battery life etc.

Any idea which Device Manager still reports the battery to be working properly? or is this just an assumption by the system given its being powered properly otherwise (ie via the AC plug)?
Let me think

more_horiz
Assumption by the system.

What happens when you unplug the AC cord while the system is on?

Does it shutdown immediately?

more_horiz
Hello,

Be careful not to rush and buy another battery , due to the fact I have seen people do just that and find that it is the charging unit in the latptop that is bad and not the battery so this leaves them out $100 and a battery they cannot use! Hope the below helps!

Newbie Guide:

http://ftp1.us.dell.com/diags/R66243.htm

Expert Geek Guide:

http://www.uofr.net/~greg/hardware/laptop_power_troubleshooting/

How to rebuild the battery for half the cost: (warning only for experts)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/479447/laptop_battery_hack_dont_buy_a_new_one/

Mikey

more_horiz
DragonMaster Jay wrote:
Assumption by the system.

What happens when you unplug the AC cord while the system is on?

Does it shutdown immediately?

If I remove the power cord or turn switch off at the plug then the laptop instantly goes dead

more_horiz
makxp77 wrote:
Hello,

Be careful not to rush and buy another battery , due to the fact I have seen people do just that and find that it is the charging unit in the latptop that is bad and not the battery so this leaves them out $100 and a battery they cannot use! Hope the below helps!

Newbie Guide:

http://ftp1.us.dell.com/diags/R66243.htm

Expert Geek Guide:

http://www.uofr.net/~greg/hardware/laptop_power_troubleshooting/

How to rebuild the battery for half the cost: (warning only for experts)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/479447/laptop_battery_hack_dont_buy_a_new_one/

Mikey

Thanks Mikey

During battery calibration process I tried a few times (once today where charging stayed at 3%, the twice last night) it once went from from approx 10% power on the battery diagram all the way up to 100% before prompting for Step 2 (Remove power cord). Would this happen if the charging unit was finished with??

Could try the BIOS option maybe, see what happens.

The video on Metacafe is pretty good.

descriptionDell Laptop battery problem Emptyre: Dell Laptop battery problem

more_horiz
Here is the issue I have found with software from the computer makers such as hp, dell and etc is that they are not that reliable , It could be that as soon as it fills the battery to 100% it shorts out and kills the battery (or has already damaged the battery) these types of issues are very tricky.

Try these steps:

First Set:

1) Charge battery fully
2) Drain it FULLY - just leave the laptop on until it dies, then keep pressing power until it's fully dead
3) Charge again
4) Drain again
5) Repeat one last time

Second Set:

I know this one is weird but check your cmos battery on the motherboard to see if its bad (Replace it for $1.00) I have had weird issues where I checked everything on a clients laptop to find replacing the cmos battery took care of main battery issues.

Third Set:

Buy a battery from a website that allows returns and check your laptop with the new battery

Fourth Set : (If Newer Battery wont work)

Have a local pc tech check the internal charging system (Inside the laptop)

ALSO NOTE:

Older Laptop batteries using early Ni-CAD and Ni-mh could run 2-3 hrs brand new and within months could every barely power up the laptop! If the battery is older then you should replace the battery! My best guess is the battery is bad and needs replaced or manually fixed as seen in the video!

more_horiz
Umm.. if the AC cord is the only thing powering the laptop, and the AC cord is unplugged...the laptop goes dead.

Contact Dell Support, at support.dell.com -- which can give you the option of testing the battery and its unit before you make a decision to buy.

more_horiz
DragonMaster Jay wrote:
Umm.. if the AC cord is the only thing powering the laptop, and the AC cord is unplugged...the laptop goes dead.

Contact Dell Support, at support.dell.com -- which can give you the option of testing the battery and its unit before you make a decision to buy.

I think he meant when it charged 100% he removed the power cord with the battery in then it went dead to say the battery most likely is shot!

more_horiz
Realistically, if the battery cannot be calibrated and the battery is no longer accepting charge - then the battery is dead.

However, if the battery was able to be calibrated - but still went dead...then the charging component would be bad.

more_horiz
Quote;

"First Set:
1) Charge battery fully
2) Drain it FULLY - just leave the laptop on until it dies, then keep pressing power until it's fully dead
3) Charge again
4) Drain again
5) Repeat one last time"

- The problem here is that the battery doesnt really drain that way, I cant leave the laptop on without the power cord in and on.

The CMOS option does sound funny but will give it a try? It would be under the keyboard on the laptop wouldnt it?

The laptop is an old enough laptop and it's a Ni-MH battery. Just seems like it's not holding the charge at all

The calibration utility was yesterday showing the charge going up and it got to 100%, but when power cord came out it went dead.

more_horiz
kes3000 wrote:
Quote;

"First Set:
1) Charge battery fully
3) Charge again
4) Drain again
5) Repeat one last time"

- The problem here is that the battery doesnt really drain that way, I cant leave the laptop on without the power cord in and on.

The CMOS option does sound funny but will give it a try? It would be under the keyboard on the laptop wouldnt it?

The laptop is an old enough laptop and it's a Ni-MH battery. Just seems like it's not holding the charge at all

The calibration utility was yesterday showing the charge going up and it got to 100%, but when power cord came out it went dead.

Then buddy it is time to replace the battery in my opinion!

more_horiz
Just to update.

I removed the CMOS battery and reset it. I started up the recalibration utility again left it charge. It went from 0 to 100& then asked me to remove power cord as normal. Funnily enough, when I removed the power cord the system stayed on. It was to run down from 100% to empty but I went off for 2/3 mins and then came back and it was already down under 5% then fell to 0% and went off. Put the system back on charge and left it to full charge again. Tried to turn it on but nothing. Battery isnt holding the charge or so it seems, especislly after dropping power so quickly in Step 2 of recalibration.

descriptionDell Laptop battery problem EmptyDell Laptop battery problem

more_horiz
I will guess 90% then its the battery buddy , you need a new one or try that trick on the video!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum