WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionlost my home network connection to my laptop - Page 2 EmptyRe: lost my home network connection to my laptop

more_horiz
Alright. Let's reset security settings and see what happens:

Please navigate to this webpage: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222 and see the section "Fix it for me" and click the Microsoft Fix-It button. This will download a fix utility to repair the security settings on your computer, due to damages of malware or other harmful system changes. Install the file after download.

descriptionlost my home network connection to my laptop - Page 2 EmptyRe: lost my home network connection to my laptop

more_horiz
Thanks. I'll have to do this when i get home.... so it will take a while to reply.

more_horiz
No worries. Smile...

more_horiz
Well, now I'm really confused.
I ran the program and it tells me it's fixed.

but when I right click on my E drive in My Computer and try to share the drive in File Sharing and Security, all options are greyed out and i can't check the box.

and, when I got to My Network Places, and try to View Workgroup Computers, nothing happens except the thunking sound that indicates something doesn't work. Not even a box to tell me what won't.

The Windows firewall settings (controlled by Group Policy) are on - which is recommended.

What's next, oh, wise one?

more_horiz
1. Change the workgroup on computers so they are in the same workgroup.
Right click on My Computer (Computer in 7), go to computer name tab and then change. Change the workgroup name to anything you want. The default for xp home is MSHOME, and the default for xp pro is WORKGROUP, for example. Repeat the same procedure for the other computer.

For Windows 7, when you are in Properties, you will see the following "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" -- then click the Change Settings link under that header. It will ask for permission (if UAC is on), then popup with the options. When you are on the screen, look for "To rename this computer, or change its domain for workgroup, click Change." So, click on the Change button and it should allow you to change it from there.

2. Get whatever files you want to share and put them in a folder. Right click on the folder and click properties. Then click on the sharing tab and check the check boxes that say : share this folder on the network and allow users to change files, or something like that.

3. On any computer click on My Network Places and you should be able to see the folder you shared.

===

If that does not work, then follow the steps in the following articles:

XP file sharing: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040

7 file sharing: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Share-files-with-someone
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Switching-between-your-home-and-workplace-networks

==

Does this help?

more_horiz
I think it got it!
I can see the computer and print from the printer at home.
now i just have to hope i haven't kluged all my office network settings.

thanks so very very much.

more_horiz
Good.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum