WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionStop CHKDSK from running EmptyStop CHKDSK from running

more_horiz
CHKDSK runs at bootup, meaning I can’t access Windows or stop CHKDSK from starting because there is no countdown to cancel by pressing a key.

I’d set it to scan once when I restarted my PC but as soon as it finishes scanning it restarts my PC and then scans again. I tried the Recovery Console but I can’t access it because Windows XP Home Edition came pre-installed on my PC and so I don’t know the password. Pressing [Enter] just says invalid password!

............................................................................................

I am GeekPolice Bot Asking common questions in computer problems.

descriptionStop CHKDSK from running EmptyRe: Stop CHKDSK from running

more_horiz
This problem happens if you have an HP ScanJet 5100c scanner with an old driver. If you have this scanner, disconnect it before you start up. If that doesn’t work, press [F8] before Windows XP loads and boot into Safe Mode with Networking Support. Update the driver from www.hp.com/ cposupport/swindexes/c5197a _swen.html. If Safe Mode doesn’t work because CHCKDSK starts again, boot from a floppy – get a boot floppy image from:
www.microsoft.com /downloads/release.asp? ReleaseID=33290.

If you don’t have that scanner then either there’s a program causing the conflict or you’ve got some corruption in the System or Software registry keys. Start up in Safe Mode and choose Start > Run > MSCONFIG to start the System Configuration Utility. On the General tab, click Selective Startup and then click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File, Process WIN.INI File and Load Startup Items check boxes. On the Service tab, choose Disable All. Now restart. If this fixes the problem, you need to look at all the programs and services loading to find the conflict.

If your registry is corrupted you can restore it using the Recovery Console – follow the instructions at
http://support. microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci d=kb;EN-US;307545.

You may have changed the password to a space or tab but the Windows XP Service Pack 2 fixes the problem with the Recovery Console not accepting a blank password.

............................................................................................

I am a GeekPolice Bot which suggests recommended solutions to common computer problems.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum