WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionPrograms disabled after running chkdsk EmptyPrograms disabled after running chkdsk

more_horiz
After allowing chkdsk to run my wife's computer developed major problems. I happened to be watching as she booted up and chkdsk asked to run, and when she allowed it went on to delete several hundred "corrupted indexes" referencing to "File 9." Now, as Windows loads several error messages appear that MSASCui.exe, IAANOTif.exe, WLTray.exe failed to initialize properly, and iTunesHelper was not installed correctly. Most programs including web browsers (Chrome, IE, Mozilla) all fail to run. Control Panel opens but the tools don't run, reporting "The page failed to load." (i.e Backup-Restore, Remove Programs, etc.)
Inserting a thumb drive causes error messages that "Rundll is not configured or you don't have permission" but the drive loads and I was able to copy files to it.
Oddly (perhaps?) Excel, Word, and other MS Office programs still run without problems.
She said chkdsk had asked to run the previous evening and she declined but it had continued to browse the internet okay. I can't be sure this isn't malware related but could find no discussion of anything like this so I decided to post in OS. She runs MS Essentials which still runs a scan okay.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I have not attempted to recover using the recovery partition and hope to avoid that because she had MS Office installed via her previous job and will lose it.

This is a Dell Inspirion 1525 intel dual core with 3GB running Vista Home Premium version 6.0 SP2.

Thanks

descriptionPrograms disabled after running chkdsk EmptyRe: Programs disabled after running chkdsk

more_horiz
Hey there, some of these error lead me to believe you may have a larger problem than once thought.

I am going to redirect you to the Virus Spyware Malware Removal Forum.

Please read this topic before posting for help in this topic.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum