WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionRandom drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me. EmptyRandom drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me.

more_horiz
Hi. Let me first say thanks to whoever takes time to read through my problem. I saw this site recommended for technical support and I would like to get some help with a few issues i have.

I will briefly describe what happens:
-My internet randomly drops. Comcast technicians have come several times to check the lines from the pole to the modem, and they always swap one thing or another but they don't find anything wrong.
My internet works very good while it's connected, but as I said, it randomly drops for a few seconds and then comes back up. I had this same problem last year around this same time of the year. The Comcast techs say that because the weather is changing from hot to cold, that maybe the lines expand and contract creating those problems. I live in Texas and the weather can be warm one day and cold the next one. Right now it's mostly cool. I bypassed the router and the problem still happens. I still think that this problem is kind of strange because I seem to be the only one complaining about it. I haven't found any other person complaining about that on the internet.
It's an issue that is hard to notice, but because my brother plays online games he noticed the sudden drops in his game, not being able to move his character or whatever, and the game responding after a few seconds. I have noticed it when watching a stream of a video. It's something that usually happens around the evening, or when it's dark outside. I has happened during the day too but less often.
So I would like to get some advice from an expert and see if I have any options. Maybe it's something I have in the computer (I run constant scans of Malwarebytes and AVG), I don't know if its the lines and I need to change ISPs from cable to dsl maybe(?), I would just like to have the reliability I don't have right now, because this random lapses really affect any applications that need to have a constant connection. This is the most annoying problem I have.

-I have other (I think minor) problem and is that I sometimes watch videos maybe in youtube or a stream and when I switch to fullscreen the video will seem fine at first but at any moment it will randomly freeze the image on the screen and I will have to revert from full screen to windowed mode to continue watching. I will be going back and forth from fullscreen to windowed to fullscreen when the problem happens.

I don't know what may be causing this. I recently formatted my computer because I had a serious trojan problem. Thankfully I was able to save my files. I reinstalled everything, and I checked that I installed the updated video card drivers.

My specs are these:
Windows XP Media center edition, SP3, Pentium D, 2.8 GHz, 2 Gigs ram.
Monitor: Lg W2253, GPU: HD Radeon 4830

My ISP: Comcast cable 6Mb, Router WGR614v7 Netgear

descriptionRandom drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me. EmptyRe: Random drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me.

more_horiz
Hello,

Start >> run >> CMD. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults by typing: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults by typing: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Restart your PC.

If it doesn't work, download Winsock XP Fix from here, save it to your Desktop.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Double click on the exe on your Desktop.
Press the "Fix" button, then restart again.

See if the connection problem still exists.

As for your video problem, it may be due to the computer not being able to process flash (flv) videos at a higher resolution or full screen. This may happen to lower end computers. It happened to me before on my older PC, except that I did not have the full screen reverted to windowed mode, just the video freezing.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Random drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me. Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionRandom drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me. EmptyRe: Random drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me.

more_horiz
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will follow your instructions and I'll be back with the results as soon as possible.

more_horiz
I did all the commands, and I also did the program because the last command didn't seem to do anything (maybe it did).

The internet seems to working better now, I don't know if its totally fixed but I can see an improvement. My brother has not complained of lag in his games. I can still see some delay on the web pages loading, but it's rare.

I wish I knew what your instructions did or what may have caused the problem and what fixed them for now.

The fullscreen problem it's still there and it's weird that before the formatting it wasn't giving me trouble. Anyways, I appreciate your help very much Doctor Inferno, and I hope you get a reward for this great help you're giving.
If I notice any other problems I will bump this page. Thanks again.

more_horiz
Ok, no prob.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Random drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me. Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionRandom drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me. Empty(update) Random drops. problem for years, no one has ever being able to help me.

more_horiz
My problem is back. I have a lot of delay and waiting when loading pages, and also online games randomly don't respond when issuing a command.

I tried using the commands recommended on this thread, and also winsockxp fix but is not doing much. Now I don't know what to do.

edit: Now I see that even my laptops are not connecting well. I don't know if it's my router or what.. my connection.. horrible comcast...

edit2: I called comcast and they tell me theres and "outage" in my area.. so i guess don't help me until I see if its really comcast causing this.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum