WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptiondvd burner or external hard drive? Emptydvd burner or external hard drive?

more_horiz
hey,

Need a means of back up so i'm just wondering what's better. An external HD or a DVD burner?

i know External hardrives can fail and when they do you're screwed. But DVD burners give you unlimited yet, reliable back ups as if one disc screws up you only lose 4 gigs of backup. So i'm also wondering is it possible that a dvd disc's data will somehow just dissappear one day?

and what other disadvantages/advantages of the dvd disc/dvd burner method of backing up files and the external HD method?

thanks

descriptiondvd burner or external hard drive? EmptyRe: dvd burner or external hard drive?

more_horiz
I would go for a external hard drive, they might fail, but rarely. It works just like a hard drive in the computer if you're getting the AC powered one.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

dvd burner or external hard drive? Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptiondvd burner or external hard drive? EmptyRe: dvd burner or external hard drive?

more_horiz
what advantages do they have over dvd burners though?

more_horiz
It's more common the DVD disc gets scrathed and wont work than hardrive failure, I've got 2 external drives, 1 I've had for over a year and hasn't failed me yet.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
dvd burner or external hard drive? DXwU4
dvd burner or external hard drive? VvYDg

more_horiz
External hard drives are more convenient. You can transfer files over anytime and delete the files as you wish. If you burn your data to a DVD, you can't change it once its written. That is unless you get a rewritable DVD which will definitely cost more.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

dvd burner or external hard drive? Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum