WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

Connection problem

3 posters

descriptionConnection problem EmptyConnection problem

more_horiz
Hello again Smile...

I once again have a question for the mighty Geekpolice. This is the problem: Everytime I start/restart my computer I have to deactivate and then activate my connection to my broadband (at my network places, even though the sevice is activated when I start my computer), too be able to use the internet. Any ideas?

Thanks
//Hannes

descriptionConnection problem EmptyRe: Connection problem

more_horiz
Forgot to mention that I don't use a wireless connection too access my broadband

more_horiz
Could u please explain what u mean by activate & deactivate, e.g., tell me precisely what procedure u go thru?

more_horiz
Ok, I will try to be more precise. I am using XP.

1. I start my computer/or restart it, I notice that I can't use the internet.
2. I go to start and then my network places (is that the correct name for it in english?, I am trying to translate from Swedish Goofy). From there I go to network connections (again, is that the correct name?).
3. I see that the connection I have to my broadband is active (even though I, for some reason, can't use it too log on to the internet).
4. I double click on the "connection" and I deactivate it.
5. I activate it.
6. I repeat 4 and 5 for a little while, and all of a sudden it works.
7. The next day when i go up from bed, I have to do all these steps listed once again, and I have no idea why.

more_horiz
HannesM:

I grew up speaking Norwegian as my granma was from there but I've forgotten almost all of it now. & I certainly don't know the computer terms as that was > 40 years ago. We'll get along ok.

1st, if u have wireless, whether or not it's connected, I'd like u to turn it off/disable it if it isn't already, please. See if that doesn't activate your connection. If not, continue on. If so, let us know this has been resolved, please.

Now what I'd like u to do is this:
When the connection is inactive, click start, click run, then type cmd in the box that opens.
You'll get a weird prompt that usually has a > followed by a blinking cursor. This is called the "command prompt".
Type ipconfig /all > 1ip.txt & press enter. This will create a file called 1ip.txt.

Go to your control panel, then system, then device manager. Now click the + sign on the network adapter item. Make sure there are no red x's or yellow ! marks beside your lan adapter. If there are, please let us know this.

Now activate your connection &, once activated, type ipconfig /all > 2ip.txt at the command prompt. This will create a file called 2ip.txt.

Please paste the contents of both those files in your reply.

The last thing I'd like u to do is to please run a virus scan, also download MalwareBytes from
www.malwarebytes.org
& scan your pc. Please let us know the results.

I've given u a lot to do but I'm trying to resolve your difficulties as quickly as possible.

Do u remember anything that happened, e.g., any software installed,--anything at all around the time this occurred?

Have a good day.

more_horiz
Hello again Smile...

Here we go Smile...

1. My computer has no virus or malware.

2. 1ip (made this one directly when I started my computer, when the connection was active, but I still couln't use the internet)

IP-konfiguration för Windows

Värddatornamn . . . . . . . . . . : Hannes

Primärt DNS-suffix . . . . . . . :

Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP-routning aktiverat . . . . . . : Ja

WINS-proxy aktiverat . . . . . . : Ja

Söklista för DNS-suffix . . . . . : bredbandsbolaget.se

Ethernet-kort Anslutning till lokalt nätverk 2:

Anslutningsspecifika DNS-suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se

Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Fysisk adress . . . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-D0-84-6A-14

DHCP aktiverat . . . . . . . . . : Ja

Autokonfiguration aktiverat . . . : Ja

IP-adress . . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.243.36

Nätmask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0

Standard-gateway . . . . . . . . : 85.227.240.1

DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.240.1

DNS-servrar . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.54.122.198

Lånet erhölls . . . . . . . . . . : den 14 september 2009 09:57:40

Lånet upphör . . . . . . . . . . : den 14 september 2009 10:57:40

3. ip2: (inactive)

4. Ip3: (active)

Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Okänd

Beskrivning . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

IP-adress . . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.243.36

Lånet erhölls . . . . . . . . . . : den 14 september 2009 10:01:24

Lånet upphör . . . . . . . . . . : den 14 september 2009 11:01:24

5. When I had the connection inactive I checked the device manager, and everything was active, except my network card.

6. This broadband is actually new, but I have never had a simlilar problem before. No new software installed, nothing strange occured the day I got my broadband.

Thanks for the help mr.Norway Smile...

more_horiz
Hannes, 1st, thank u so much for your cooperation. You're doing great. let me translate this & I'll get back. Obviously I need to be certain of what I'm looking at, so let me get an accurate translation. Having grown up speaking Norwegian is not helping me now because they didn't have pc's when I was doing that.

more_horiz
You don't need to thank me, it is I who should thank you: Thank you for the help Smile... Let me know if I can help you with the translation in any way!

Have a nice day!

more_horiz
Hannes, I contacted a friend of mine who comes from Sweden but now lives here in the states. If we start having problems, she says she'll translate back & forth for us. Let me know if that's something u feel u could benefit from. I helped her set up her Project Mix w/Sonar so she says she won't charge me. You're doing exceptionally well, but this has got to be hard for u. I'd like to make it as easy as possible. So if either of us needs her, she's standing by.

more_horiz
Sounds good too me. Always nice to have a "back up" if we run into problems. I will tell you if I feel that I need her help!

How is the translation of the "ip thing" going? Can't be easy translating those terms. I could give it a go if you want me to, some terms will probably however, as a consequence, not be 100% accurate. But these may guide you, to the correct term? Anyway, let me know if I can help in any way.

more_horiz
Host computer name

Primary DNS-suffix

Node type…………….: Unknown

IP routing active............: Yes

WINS-proxy active

Search list for DNS-suffix…………..: bredbandsbolaget.se (my broadband supplier)

Ethernet card connection to local network 2:

Connection specific DNS-suffix

Description

Physical adress

DHCP active

Auto configuration active

IP-address

Nätmask (net worm can’t be the correct translation right? :S)

Standard-gateway

DHCP-server

DHCP-server

Loan was established………….: 14th September

Loan will stop

Ip-configuration for Windows

--------------------

A quick translation of the terms on the "ip-thing". I have no idea if these actually will help you, but I hope Goofy

more_horiz
That was actually very good, Hannes. U wrote:
Nätmask (net worm can’t be the correct translation right? :S)
Well, that's right--not dealing w/a net worm--the actual translation is "subnet mask. " It's a networking term. That term gave me no difficulty, as I recognized immediately what it was.

I had a little trouble w/the word "unknown" but looked it up in a Swedish dictionary I found online. If it's any comfort, I did this once for a lady whose computer spoke Spanish. We did resolve the problem. So it's not impossible.

What is the name of your modem? You're doing really well. I'm very very impressed. A lot of folks whose native language is English don't do as well as u are.

more_horiz
Glad that I can impress you Goofy

The name of my modem is Inteno - X5671 VDSL2/ADSL2+ Wireless
router.

more_horiz
Hannes, just curious--is there any reason why u have wins proxy enabled? Do u run a program that uses this? I really think this is what's messing up your settings, but, before I kill it , I need to make sure you're not using it for some reason.

Here's a few questions, the answers to which will help:
1) Is your computer the only 1 in the house, or are there other computers?
2) If there are other computers, do they have the same problem connecting, that is, do u have to activate them?
3) Did your network card come with your computer or did u buy it separately?
4) Do u have more than 1 network card in your computer?

more_horiz
I have no idea what wins proxy even is, so I am not sure if I have any program that uses it. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959252.aspx <-- Started reading about wins proxy at that link for a while and it does say that it can be used for LANs. I did have a LAN with a router before I moved here, if that could be the reason why it is active. But since, even after reading it, I am still not entirely sure what it does I can't really say if I have got a program that uses it or not. Is there a way to find out?

1. There are other computers, and they don't have any problems.
2. No
3. I bought everything seperately.
4. No, or at least I don't think so. When I check device manager, network card, there is only one showing up as it should be.

more_horiz
Ok, Hannes, I think I'm ready to go ahead & give some advice now.

1) Create a restore point! Create a restore point! *CREATE A RESTORE POINT!!!!!* Did I mention u should create a restore point?

Go to programs > accessories >system tools, click system restore, then create.

2) Click start, click run, type cmd, & press enter.
3) Type the following command: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
This will reset your tcipp to default values.
4) Reboot.
5) Go to control panel, then network connections. Right click your local area connection, click properties, highlight tcpip, & click properties. Make sure that obtain an ip address automatically is checked,& check use the following dns addresses:
The addresses u can use are:
195.54.122.198-200

What this means is that the last number in the address can range from 198-200.

Click the advanced button & make sure dhcp is enabled. Now click the wins tab. Make sure there's nothing there--if wins is enabled, disable it. Remove any entries present. Click the options tab & uncheck tcip filtering, unless, of course, u wish to block specific types of traffic, in which case specify. Click ok.

6) Turn off your computer. Restart your modem, then restart your computer. Tell me what we've got. Be sure to include any error messages, if present. We hope not.

more_horiz
Ohh, ok I will try this tonight!

more_horiz
Two quick questions before I do this.

1. "Make sure that obtain an ip address automatically is checked,& check use the following dns addresses:
195.54.122.198-200"

If I understand you correctly, you want me to confirm that the ip-adress, which is generated, looks like one of these: 195.54.122.198, 195.54.122.199, 195.54.122.200. Am I correct? Let me think

2. When I click to the wins tab right now, I don't find anything that is saying that wins is enabled. It says "wins-addresses, in order of usage" and there is no address, or anything else for that matter, there. So, if there is an address there, after I have followed your guide, how do I disable it? Simply by removing it? Let me think

Thanks Smile...

more_horiz
hello guys ,

i have problem with bredband also and the router is inteno as well , once of my PC doesn't get IP adress while the other does , i have installed new windows on that PC and i checked it on other ISP it get IP and it works on only with breband !!! cable is working as well any idea please ?

thanks
Zahir

more_horiz
HannesM, I'm sorry--my machine crashed & I'm just now sufficiently recovered to be able to reply. U wrote:
1. "Make sure that obtain an ip address automatically is checked,& check use the following dns addresses:
195.54.122.198-200"

If I understand you correctly, you want me to confirm that the ip-adress, which is generated, looks like one of these: 195.54.122.198, 195.54.122.199,
195.54.122.200. Am I correct?

This will be in the dns addresses, not the IP address. Your IP address will probably look like 192.168.1.something.

I really don't understand what's enabling wins proxy but your network settings are definitively not correct from what I was able to determine by reading your broadband installation manual. Between GoogleTranslate, my friend, & what I know about computers, we actually did really well translating that. Your router appears to be on 192.168.1.1. Your subnet mask or netmask should look like 255.255.255.0. Am I correct that all computers in the house are connected to the internet through your router/modem?

more_horiz
Your machine crashed? Shocking Whoa What happened?

I have been out of town over the weekend, and I have not been able to log on to the internet during that period, sorry about that. I thought I could access the internet there, but that did not work (since there were no internet connection there to begin with) Indifferent or Blank. I should have told you.

1. Ok.

2. Yes, they all are. However this is the only one that is connected to the modem via a LAN cable. I currently use wireless connections on the other computers, however the other computers have been connected to the same modem via a LAN cable. And when they were connected, there were no problems whatsoever for them.

So, if I have understood this situation correctly, the big question here is how do we diable wins proxy?

So are we going to try the netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt command?

Have a nice day and thanks

//Hannes

more_horiz
Hannes, I've been really worried about u! I was afraid my instructions blew your machine up or something. I am *so* relieved!

Tell u what--how about u go to:
www.trendmicro.com
& download hijackthis, as well as
www.belarc.com
& download advisor.exe. Pm me w/the logs they generate. Perhaps I can get an idea of where the wins proxy is coming from & disable it properly.

Your router should be located on 192.168.1.1, according to your manual. Your IP address should therefore look like 192.168.1.something between 2-254 & your netmask should look like 255.255.255.0.

As for my crash, I was on a website, & it said a script in a flash movie was slowing my machine & asked if I wanted to abort. I said, yes, & the only thing I could do then was turn it off, it was locked up so tight. When I rebooted, windows wouldn't start. I went into safe mode & did a chkdsk, got it up 1 last round to get some data, but it started generating all kind of errors. Thanks to good backups & that 1 chance I got to rescue some remaining data, I didn't lose any documents but lost all my favorite websites. It crashed a 2nd time because I got in a hurry & installed the versions of my screenreader out of sequence & then entered an activation key for an earlier version of the software. That was enough, evidently, to bring my system down again. So I did the repartition/reformat/reinstall thing twice.

more_horiz
zaherer, I think it'd be better if u started a new topic. It gets too confusing when replying to 2 different people in 1 thread. Please indicate your operating system, your internet provider, your equipment, &, in your case, click start, run, type cmd & press enter, then type ipconfig /all > ip.txt at the prompt & paste the contents of the ip.txt file for review.

Thanks for your cooperation.

more_horiz
Haha sorry to have worried you. I did try to log on to the internet, but I guess I was too far away from civilization.

I have pm:ed the logs.

Haha, that sounds like one hell of day Goofy And all of that because of a flash movie, what are the odds... Computers are delicate things.

Good luck with deciphering the logs by the way, I appreciate the help Smile...

Thank You! and have a nice day!

more_horiz
Ok, Hannes, let's start really small at first. 1 thing I noticed was that your wireless appears to still be enabled, so I think u missed my post where I said to disable it. Go to control panel > network connections, click on the wireless connection, & disable it. U might also wish to go to control panel > system > hardware tab, device manager, network adapter, the name of your wireless adapter (broadcomm, looks like) & choose do not use from the list. Let's see if that solves the problem. If not, then we do need to change your network settings.

Also, it says you've got a print server running--is that right?

more_horiz
Hello,

My wireless is enabled? :O How is that even possible? Let me think I have not used any wireless connections on this computer... But now that you mention it, I do have something at network connections that is called "incomming connections". I have no idea what it is doing there though. Should I delete it? Can't find any way to actually, simply, disable it for some reason.

I can't find anything by the name of "broadcom" in device manager. I do however have broadcom control suit installed for some reason... Hmm... Oh, I just realized that I may have missed to tell you something important (please don't kill me Indifferent or Blank). I bought the computer I have right now after the computer I had before it, crashed. I did however manage to save my harddrive from the computer that crashed. Then I bought the new computer, and connected the old harddrive to it, so I still use the old harddrive "so to speak". The point here is that the harddrive I use once had other network card "drivers" installed on it (since the computer that crashed had a different network card). Could this have something to do with the problem? I did not tell you this because my internet connections have worked fine on the new computer, with the new network card, until I moved here and tried to use "this broadband".

Nope, I don't even have a printer. I guess I should disable it? And I guess you do it there --> control panel > system > hardware tab, device manager, "Ports", "Printer Port" (is that the correct term in english?)

Thanks

more_horiz
O, my dear lord, yeah, important wasn't the word for it lol. Ahem. Right.

Ok, Hannes, here's what I'd like for u to do. Go to 1 of your other computers in the house, (not the 1 you're having trouble with), click start, run, type cmd, then ipconfig /all > other.txt at the prompt. Send me the other.txt file, & let me see what those settings look like. I have a feeling this explains *a lot*!

more_horiz
You would think that you would remember these things (like networkcard swapping) when it actually matters, when for instance the kind "trial advisor" at the geekpolice, abletec, is trying to help you in his own freetime, but for some damn reason it did not even cross my mind :S I seriously need to configure my brain or something Goofy Anyway, Sorry about that!

I have sent you the "other.txt file" via p.m.

Thanks

more_horiz
No problem, Hannes. I'm lookin at the log now. Lol. Could u translate "frånkopplat"?

is riksdagen.se the name of your last ISP?
R u runnin a virtual private network there?
Does 1 computer have to be on all the time for all your others to connect to the internet or can they connect independently?
I assume the 1 u ran the ipconfig command on this last time has no issues connecting, right?

I'd like for u to uninstall that lan suite software. I'd also like for u to try this on both computers, the 1 that's connected & the 1 you're havin trouble with when connection isn't active:
click start, run, type cmd, then type
ping 85.227.240.1
What do u get?

Lots of stuff here--sorry.

more_horiz
Frånkopplad = Disconnected

Riksdagen.se - Well, it is my friends "work" computer (a computer the company/or whatever you work for, give you) and riksdagen.se is the "provider" of the computer, if you understand what I mean.

The computer does have a VPN, but it was not connected to the VPN when I wrote the "command".

They can connect independently

Nope, no issues what so ever.

Ok, I will uninstall the broadcom suite software and try that command. I will give you a report tomorrow. Now I need some sleep.

Thanks

By the way, about the print server, I can disable that one right? control controlpanel > system > hardware tab, device manager, "Ports", "Printer Port".

more_horiz
So I starten broadcom advanced suit, and it says that there are no broadcom-networkcards in the computer and the program asks if I want to uninstall it. I click yes. And then... Gahh, it says that it can't start the "uninstallationprogram". Hmm... So I tried to uninstall it through add/remove programs, and crossed my fingers, and from there it worked. *Yippie*

I will try the command tomorrow.

more_horiz
No, let's not disable the printer port or u won't be able to print. When u got your new broadband, did it come w/software? Cuz I think that's where that's coming from.

Get some sleep. I really need some too.

more_horiz
Ok. It did not come with the software actually, but let's keep it Big Grin

I have sent you the "ip thingy" via pm.

more_horiz
Ok, Hannes, it's as I figured--the machine's not finding the default gateway.

Let me do this--this has become a little confusing after all the correspondences. Let's see if I can't pull this together, have a good close look at everything right in a row, as it were, & then get back w/u as to why that's happening. I'm finding it very confusing in terms of figuring out which network cards are connected,which are not, as well as determining precisely what the setup actually is. The fact that there is a virtual private network involved isn't helping my cause, either.

What we may eventualy need to do is take the virtual private network down, set the computers up according to your ISP's instructions, & then re-setup the vpn. But I admit to u that as a former doctor, who was taught always to follow the saying "first do no harm", I am being extremely cautious & conservative in my approach.

more_horiz
Ok good luck with that Big Grin

The only network card that is connected is: Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabir Ethernet NIC, but I guess you already knew that.

However the VPN connection has nothing to do with this computer though (at least it should not have anything to do with this computer). There is only one computer in this apartment that is using a VPN (and that computer isn't here at the moment, it will be back in a day or so). And that computer is my friends, who uses the VPN connection for work.

If I can help you with anything, if there is anything that needs to be "cleared out", so to speak, please ask and I will do my best finding you information. But since I am not a "tech-god" when it comes to networking I may need you to guide me Smile...

Thanks

more_horiz
I think, in that case, I am gonna wait to do anything till I see what occurs. I think the broadcom might have been messin things up, & the fact that u had a new computer w/an old hard drive connected to it & irrelevant network cards trying to run might be the difficulty. It may also have changed settings. When your computer restarts, & if your internet connection is inactive, please do the start > run >cmd > ipconfig /all > ip1.txt again & send me the contents. I'd like to see if either the wins proxy or the ip routing is disabled.

What's very weird about this whole thing is that, while your broadband instructions state that u should be behind a router, it looks like all your computers are actually directly connected to the internet. That kind of poses somewhat of a security risk & I don't recall having seen a firewall, but I might not necessarily.

Obviously, if the computer restarts & the internet is active, then we have resolved the problem.

Let me know either way. I am really impressed by your ability to translate & follow instructions so well. I know that has to make it a lot harder for u, as I only have to translate a few words & it's not easy for me. So I can't even imagine how u do it, much less do it so well.

more_horiz
O, never mind, looks like u managed to uninstall the broadcom program & it still starts up inactive. Am I correct?

more_horiz
Yep, it still starts up inactive.

As for the post before:

Hmm ok, let me try to explain this one (even though I am not really sure if it is an explanation, as I am not entirely sure what your question is). I have connected a LAN cable between this computer and a modem. Now the reason why I don't use a "firewall" (as in a router firewall) is because the company, which delivers the broadband, has given us "codes", as in, if you want to use my broadband (through for example a wireless connection), you have to specify a username and password. I guess that is standard in the US as well? The "broadband connection" is, according to my ISP safe, I do not need to protect it "more" (by for example getting a router). I am however thinking about getting either Outpost or Comodo firewall to protect my computer, but that is another story I guess. I have no idea if this actually answers your question, or if it simply raises new questions, or if it doesn't answer any question, but well well Goofy If you are interested, I could mail my ISP and ask how their protection "works" I guess.

Thanks for the compliment, even though I guess we are in different situations. Since in Sweden, you have to learn how to speak in english in school. Whereas in the US, you don't really need to learn how to speak Swedish. If you were referring to the Swedish words that you translated.

Here is a good Swedish - English dictionary, for free, if you ever need one: http://lexin2.nada.kth.se/swe-eng.html

Thanks

more_horiz

Nodtyp . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Okänd

IP-adress . . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.227.244.13

Lånet erhölls . . . . . . . . . . : den 23 september 2009 23:35:47

Lånet upphör . . . . . . . . . . : den 24 september 2009 00:35:47

more_horiz
Looks like wins proxy is still activated. As I still have no idea what wins proxy actually does, I started to browse the web for some information and found this among other things: http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/xp-networking/how-disable-wins-proxy-enabled-xp-home-114354.html He seems to have had a similiar problem, like the one I am experiencing, with the exception that I can't use the internet directly after startup, whereas he seems to have been able to use it for a while.
I don't know if that "find" actually will help us in any way, I am simply trying my best to find information Smile...

more_horiz
Well, again, Hannes, I may have more questions than answers (aren't u sick of me?) but what are the following for?:
1) Conexant Systems, Inc. - PRISM Wireless LAN Version 2.01.13.0013
2) Dell Inc. - USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Version 2.01.13.0013 (Alpha)
3) Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. - Mobile Connect HOST86.11.107.01.02.24

In your control panel > system > hardware > device manager > other devices, you've got a Kommunikationskabel mellan två datorer [Modem]. Is this your phone modem? Because it's obviously not working.

Also, please check & make certain your broadcom lan suite is in fact uninstalled because Belarc is still seeing it.

Do I understand correctly that you're a student at Stockholm University & that u live on campus & are connected to the university network?

Thanks for sending those logs clarifying which computers I was dealing with. That really helped get my thoughts organized. I'm glad they have a pm facility--I'd hate for every1 to be able to read peoples' private computer business.

O, yeah, & by the way, for whatever reason, 1 of my posts didn't go thru--the 1 where I told u I was Mrs. instead of Mr. Norway lol.

more_horiz
This topic has right now 368 views, when we are through with this we will be celebrities or something Big Grin Ok, here we go again:

1. I have no idea, at all, what that is actually... And when I check on wiki these guys are actually competitors with broadcom, what the hell? Goofy

Oh found this process on my computer: PRISMVR.exe and found this: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/prismsvr.exe.html Which seems to say that it belongs to dells wireless cards, which wouldn't be surprising since the old computer (the one that crashed) was a dell actually (the last time I will ever buy one of those). So, this should be killable I guess, (since I don't have a dell wireless). It should not have any purpose...

2. That was a wireless usb 2.0 "thingy" I got from dell when I bought the computer. Should not have any purpose on this computer either. Since I have never used it since the dell computer crashed.

3. That is a "usb modem", which I only use when I move the computer around, and need a connection.

Hmm where is that one? Do you mean control panel > system > hardware > device manager >modem >kommunikationskabel mellan två datorer? That should be the LAN cable that connects my computer to the modem, yes. Hmm it isn't working? Then how can I use the internet at all? And when I click on it in the device manager it say's that there is nothing wrong with it. *confused*

Oh, I have not sent you a new belarc log actually, the one I sent you during the "organization" was the old one. I will send you a new one after this post.

This is getting stranger and stranger. Yes I am a student at SU but I don't live on campus, and I am not connected to the "university network". As in always connected at least (or am I wrong :S), I mean I can log on to the site and check around if I wish and use their "internet library". Hmm or maybe that means that I am connected to them after all.

Oh damn, sorry about that mr... I mean mrs.Norway Smile...

Thank You! and have a nice day

more_horiz
Hmm or maybe I won't send you a new belarc log, since I can't figure out how you create a new one? :S LMBO or ROFL

more_horiz
This computer is not a dell? Seriously? O, wow, damn! It had so much dell stuff on there I truly believed it was. Holy @#$%! Well, I mean, even your homepage was dell. this leftover stuff on your old hard drive is not helping our cause any at all. So what is this machine? Custom-built? Man, I feel so lost now I don't even think God can find me. Wow! Geez bees!

1) Kill the wireless stuff--all of it.
2) Kill everything having to do w/dell in add/remove programs & then restart.
3) Is your internet connection active?
4) If not, go to control panel > system, click on hardware, press device manager, look in other devices. If you've got something there, highlight it & hit your delete key. Answer yes to confirm, then restart.

Where are we at this point?

Hannes, just delete your old belarc log & run the advisor again to give a new 1.

What is very very weird about this whole thing is that your isp manual states that your ip address should actually look something like 192.168.0.something. Yours looks like 85.whatever... I'm hesitant to tear everything apart because it looks as though your other computers w/this same address configuration work ok. I really wanna see if killing this wireless stuff might help us.

Usually in a situation like this we can actually go into the router by clicking start, run, & typing http://192.168.0.1 & it brings up a webpage where it can be administered. Yours obviously won't work like that the way this is set up. This is getting weirder & weirder.

When we figure this out we'll have to throw a "fixed the network" party lol.

more_horiz
Ah, so you thought this was a dell. My homepage was dell? What homepage? This is custom-built, do you want to know the parts it consists of?

1. Ok, that means that I have to remove my usb 2.0 modem as well Sad tearing
2. Ok, so let's remove old "dell leftovers": dell system restore, dell driver reset tool, the wireless dell thingy and intel application accelerator. Hmm do you want me to remove for example cybelink power dvd as well (I "got" it from dell)? I might as well, since I don't use it.
3. Yes (I mean I use it, can it be inactive in that case?)
4. I still can't find anything in device manager by the name of "other devices" :S

I will give you a report soon.

Ok.

Then killing all the wireless stuff it is.

True, it does not work like that.

Haha why not Big Grin I wonder how you celebrate a "fixed the network party"... I hope there will be cake at least.

more_horiz
1. The wireless "thingies" are all gone.
2. I managed to delete the following dell leftovers: Dell driver reset tool (besides the wireless "thingies). The dell system restore can't be "removed" using add/remove programs for some reason. As for Intel application accelerator, and cyberlink power DVD, I realised that there was a reason why I haven't removed those before, they are troublesome to remove and I may loose other parts of the hdd as well, so I won't touch those.
3. Still inactive on startup
4. I still can't find that one

As for belarc, do you want me to delete the "belarc computer profile"? Because if I only delete the log, saved in temp, I get a new log as soon as I click on my belarc computer profile again.

Thank you

more_horiz
Let me out of curiousity ask you this, extremely interesting question Big Grin: Have you ever had wins-proxy activated? If yes, what did you use it for?

more_horiz
The cyberlink dvd is fine. But let's get rid of anything that says dell. & we celebrate a fixed network party w/lots & lots of beer lol.

more_horiz
I have pm:ed you a new belarc log Big Grin

Now, we only have one thing left to get rid of which reeks dell and that is: Dell OS Recovery CD Version, which for some reason can't be removed from add/remove programs... Hmm...

Sounds lika a great plan! Cheers Mate

more_horiz
I've never had wins proxy activated. & I don't think u need it unless you're connected remotely to something. U have an incoming connection in your network connections aplet & that's where it's coming from.

Have u ever edited the registry before &, if yes, do u feel comfortable w/it? If not, Hannes, the geek police have a live chat we could probably use to do this together. As u know, editing the registry incorrectly can bring your computer down huge time. I've been doing this probably the majority of your life lol & I stil don't like editing the registry. I'm being extraordinarily conservative in my approach. If this had been my computer, I think I'd have configured it up like I said long ago. But since things for the most part seem to be working, I'm taking it slow.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum