WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows Police Pro/other virus/malware.... EmptyWindows Police Pro/other virus/malware....

more_horiz
Hello all!

I started my computer and found that I had the windows police pro bug on my computer. I have tried running MalwareBytes by changing the name to SCR but it will install and then crashes. Additionally, everytime I am trying to open anything, it's pulling up the screen that asks me what program do I want to open with. It will not allow me to run Hijack this either.

I tried following your instructions on the malware removal guide thread but because of the problems listed above, obviously I wasn't successful.

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

descriptionWindows Police Pro/other virus/malware.... EmptyRe: Windows Police Pro/other virus/malware....

more_horiz
Hi

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. Note: If you are having difficulty properly disabling your protective
    programs, or are unsure as to what programs need to be disabled, please refer to the information available through this link : Protective Programs
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Windows Police Pro/other virus/malware.... RcAuto1

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Windows Police Pro/other virus/malware.... Whatnext

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

descriptionWindows Police Pro/other virus/malware.... EmptyRe: Windows Police Pro/other virus/malware....

more_horiz
I am unable to download the combofix as I had stated previously, whenever I am trying to access anything on the computer, it is asking me what program do I want to use to open the program. I downloaded CF onto my jump drive and tried to install it that way on the desktop of the infected computer but it wouldn't allow me to do anything with it that way either.

more_horiz
Hi. Please be patient, as there will be quite a bit of work in this post. If you have any questions, please ask. Especially if you are confused.

Please open Notepad, and enter what is in the quotebox below:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableTaskMgr"=-

Click File > Save as
Choose Save as type: All Files
Save the file to your Desktop as fixtm.reg
Exit Notepad and double click on the file to run it. Choose Yes/Confirm any prompts.

====

Please press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, or Ctrl+Shift+Esc, or right-click on your TaskBar and click Task Manager.

Click the processes tab. First put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Show processes from all users.

Then scroll through the list till you see the process called Windows Police Pro.exe and left-click on it once so it becomes highlighted. Then click on the End Process button as shown by the red arrow in the picture above. Click Yes to end it.

After you have ended the Windows Police Pro.exe process, scroll through the list of processes until you find the svchast.exe or svchasts.exe processes. Then end this process as well by clicking on the End Process button and confirming that you want to end it. Please note that in Windows there is a legitimate program called svchost.exe, so please be careful to only end the process that is spelled svchast.exe.

====

Please open Notepad, and enter what is in the quotebox below:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

Click File > Save as
Choose Save as type: All Files
Save the file to your Desktop as exefile.reg
Exit Notepad and double click on the file to run it. Choose Yes/Confirm any prompts.

====

Lastly, please open Malwarebytes, and click the Update tab, and click Check for Updates. Then click the Scanner tab, then perform Quick Scan. Click Scan.
Please post the log that is generated, in your next reply. Also, please tell me how your computer is running.

more_horiz
Thanks for the help so far. Okay...I couldn't locate the Windows Police Pro.exe or the svc.hast files when I opened the task manager.

After installing the files that you gave me, I was able to run a HijackThis log as follows but still can't access MalwareBytes.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:17:05 PM, on 9/8/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16876)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\VScan\EngineServer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxdccoms.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\myAgtSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\medquist\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\medquist\Desktop\winlogon.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = \blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BF56A325-23F2-42AD-F4E4-00AAC39CAA53} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetRefresh] C:\Program Files\Compaq\SetRefresh\SetRefresh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAShCut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Quick Search Box] "C:\Program Files\Google\Quick Search Box\GoogleQuickSearchBox.exe" /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BHR] C:\Program Files\Zamaan's Software\Browser Hijack Retaliator 4.5\BHR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxdcmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 1300 Series\lxdcmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxdcamon] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 1300 Series\lxdcamon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [cdloader] "C:\Documents and Settings\medquist\Application Data\mjusbsp\cdloader2.exe" MAGICJACK
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\medquist\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AntiSpyware Service] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\dp2ajfrnwf.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [NordBull] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cpv.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AntiSpyware Service] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\dp2ajfrnwf.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Belkin Wireless USB Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Belkin\USB F5D7050\Wireless Utility\Belkinwcui.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {05CA9FB0-3E3E-4B36-BF41-0E3A5CAA8CD8} (Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58813
O16 - DPF: {149E45D8-163E-4189-86FC-45022AB2B6C9} (SpinTop DRM Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/The%20Secret%20of%20Margrave%20Manor/Images/stg_drm.ocx
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1121120584921
O16 - DPF: {C52439A0-2693-4E40-B141-9F9AD5257241} (Lexmark eDiagnostics Class) - https://ediagnostics.lexmark.com/serval.cab
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_13) -
O16 - DPF: {CC450D71-CC90-424C-8638-1F2DBAC87A54} (ArmHelper Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/The%20Secret%20of%20Margrave%20Manor/Images/armhelper.ocx
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Apartment - ThreadingModel - (no file)
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: EngineServer - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\VScan\EngineServer.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c9eafd4427cab6) (gupdate1c9eafd4427cab6) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: lxdcCATSCustConnectService - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\\lxdcserv.exe
O23 - Service: lxdc_device - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxdccoms.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Virus and Spyware Protection Service (myAgtSvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\myAgtSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

--
End of file - 9772 bytes

more_horiz
Hi

Please Open HijackThis.
Click Do a system scan only button, then place a check against each of the following: (if present)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BF56A325-23F2-42AD-F4E4-00AAC39CAA53} - (no file)
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AntiSpyware Service] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\dp2ajfrnwf.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [NordBull] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cpv.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AntiSpyware Service] C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\dp2ajfrnwf.exe (User 'Default user')

Now, close all other open windows, leaving only HijackThis open, and select Fix checked.
Close HijackThis.

Please reboot your computer.

Locate and delete these files using Windows Explorer.(if present.)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\dp2ajfrnwf.exe << this file
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\cpv.exe << this file.

====

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser
    Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser
    Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

====
!! NOTICE: This instruction is for this user only. If you are a lurker reading this, do not attempt it. !!

Please navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and attempt to rename it again, to iexplore.exe
Then, double-click that to launch MBAM. Attempt to run a scan, and post the results in your next reply. If you cannot run the scan, please let me know.

==

In your next reply, please include a fresh HijackThis log, and if possible - Malwarebytes log.

more_horiz
Hi again....

Everything is going well with the exception of not being able to delete the following file...

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\dp2ajfrnwf.exe << this file

Additionally, I'm still unable to run MalwareBytes at this point. Thank you for your assistance with this...It's greatly appreciated!!!

Here is the latest HiJack This log...

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:19:57 PM, on 9/8/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16876)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\VScan\EngineServer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxdccoms.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\myAgtSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Zamaan's Software\Browser Hijack Retaliator 4.5\BHR.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark 1300 Series\lxdcamon.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
G:\mbam-setup.scr
C:\DOCUME~1\medquist\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-JLV1O.tmp\mbam-setup.tmp
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
G:\winlogon.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = \blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetRefresh] C:\Program Files\Compaq\SetRefresh\SetRefresh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAShCut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Quick Search Box] "C:\Program Files\Google\Quick Search Box\GoogleQuickSearchBox.exe" /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BHR] C:\Program Files\Zamaan's Software\Browser Hijack Retaliator 4.5\BHR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxdcmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 1300 Series\lxdcmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxdcamon] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 1300 Series\lxdcamon.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [cdloader] "C:\Documents and Settings\medquist\Application Data\mjusbsp\cdloader2.exe" MAGICJACK
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\medquist\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Belkin Wireless USB Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Belkin\USB F5D7050\Wireless Utility\Belkinwcui.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {05CA9FB0-3E3E-4B36-BF41-0E3A5CAA8CD8} (Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=58813
O16 - DPF: {149E45D8-163E-4189-86FC-45022AB2B6C9} (SpinTop DRM Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/The%20Secret%20of%20Margrave%20Manor/Images/stg_drm.ocx
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1121120584921
O16 - DPF: {C52439A0-2693-4E40-B141-9F9AD5257241} (Lexmark eDiagnostics Class) - https://ediagnostics.lexmark.com/serval.cab
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_13) -
O16 - DPF: {CC450D71-CC90-424C-8638-1F2DBAC87A54} (ArmHelper Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/The%20Secret%20of%20Margrave%20Manor/Images/armhelper.ocx
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Apartment - ThreadingModel - (no file)
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: EngineServer - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\VScan\EngineServer.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c9eafd4427cab6) (gupdate1c9eafd4427cab6) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: lxdcCATSCustConnectService - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\\lxdcserv.exe
O23 - Service: lxdc_device - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxdccoms.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Virus and Spyware Protection Service (myAgtSvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Agent\myAgtSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe

--
End of file - 10007 bytes

more_horiz
Hi

Please do a scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner

Click on the Accept button and install any components it needs.

• The program will install and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
  • After the files have been downloaded on the left side of the page in the Scan section select My Computer.
  • This will start the program and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while, so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
  • Now, click on the Save Report as button.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

more_horiz
Everytime I try to run the above program that you told me to do, the computer freezes up. Something we have done, however, has successfully removed the original virus which was the Police pro so now I am only dealing with the Protection System that keeps popping up. The only thing that I am successfully able to run is the Hijack this program. Malwarebytes is still not able to run nor is the ComboFix program.

more_horiz
Hi

Your system has a rootkit on it. A rootkit hides the fact that your system has been compromised, therefore making you think one of those infections are removed.

Please download the Sophos Anti-Rootkit Scanner and save it to your desktop.

You will need to enter your name, e-mail address and location in order to access the download page.

• Once you have downloaded the file, double click the sarsfx icon
  • Review the licence agreement and click on the Accept button
  • The scanner will prompt you to extract the files to C:\SOPHTEMP - DO NOT change this location, simply click the Install button

• Once the files have been extracted; using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\SOPHTEMP and double click on the blue shield icon called sargui
  • Ensure that there are checkmarks next to Running processes, Windows registry and Local hard drives, then click Start scan
  • Allow the program to scan your computer - please be patient as it may take some time
  • Once the scan has completed a window will pop-up with the results of the scan - click OK to this
  • In the main window, you will see each of the entries found by the scan (if any)

• If the scanner generated any warning messages, please click on each warning and copy and paste the text of it into this thread for me to review
    • Once you have posted any warning messages here, you can close the scanner and wait for me to get back to you

• If you have not had any warnings, any entries which can be cleaned up by the scanner will have a box with a green checkmark in it next to the entry
  • To clean up these entries click on the Clean up checked items button
  • If you accidentally check a file NOT recommended for clean up, you will get a warning message and if necessary can re-select the entries you want to clean up
  • Once you have cleaned the selected files, you will be prompted to re-boot your computer - please do so
  • When you have re-booted, please post a fresh HijackThis log into this thread and tell me how your computer is running now

more_horiz
I ran the program above program and came back with the results but had no warnings. There are 119 processes that have the green box in front but no checkmarks in them. When I put the checkmark in manually, it says clean up not recommended for this file. I'm not sure what to do at this point?

more_horiz
Hi

Will you please post a screenshot of the program, if possible?

Or, type out the text given for each entry.

Thanks.

more_horiz
Well, the computer suffered a great setback last night. It went from running with popup windows to now being unable to load windows. I haven't tried in safe mode yet but will do so ASAP.

more_horiz
Do you have a CD or DVD burner?

Avira AntiVir Rescue System is a Linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore.
  • Download The Avira AntiVir Rescue System from here.
  • Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD.
  • Then please use that CD/DVD with Avira Rescue System to boot your computer.
You'll get a boot option to either boot from hard drive or AntiVir Rescue System.
Windows Police Pro/other virus/malware.... 2i8vzwo

Press the number 2 on your keyboard to boot into AntiVir Rescue System.

Please wait until drivers are loaded and Main menu shows. Then please select the second option “Scan your system with AntiVir” and hit Enter.
Windows Police Pro/other virus/malware.... 33dxve1

Under Configuration, please select Scan all files, Try to repair infected files and Rename files if they cannot be removed?.
Windows Police Pro/other virus/malware.... 2aaby46

[color:42ec="#000080"]Then please start the scan.

The Avira AntiVir Rescue System wil now

• repair a damaged system,
  • rescue data,
  • scan the system for virus infections.

Post back and tell me what the results are. Does your computer boot correctly in to Windows? Were there any viruses or other infections the rescue system found?

more_horiz
No CD or DVD burner. I was able to get the computer going in safe mode but I'm just so aggravated and annoyed, I'm about ready to wipe it clean but I don't have a XP disk to do that with. I'm going to try to paste the results of the previous scan that I had run on the computer earlier and post that here ASAP.

more_horiz
Hi

Please try to boot in to Safe Mode with Networking.

==

Please download DrWeb-CureIt and save it to your Desktop. Wait to perform the scan, and read the directions below.

• Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program.
    An Express Scan of your PC notice will appear.
  • Under Start the Express Scan Now, Click OK to start the scan.
    This is a short scan that will scan the files currently running in memory.
    If something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it.
  • Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
  • Choose the Scan tab and UNcheck Heuristic analysis
  • Back at the main window, click Custom Scan, then Select drives (a red dot will show which drives have been chosen).
  • Then click the Start/Stop Scanning button (green arrow on the right, and the scan will start.
  • When finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
  • Click Yes to all if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look if you can see the icon next to the files found.
    If so, click it, then click the next icon right below and select Move incurable.
    (This will move it to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if it can't be cured)
  • Next, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your Desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when you have finished.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

more_horiz
Well, well, well....That finally took care of it. It found a total of 4 viruses. I am now able to run the Malwarebytes and am in the process of doing that right now. A question that I have.... What is the best firewall that I need to use to keep these viruses, etc. off of the computer?

By the way, I really appreciate all the time and effort you all have spent in helping us get these things off our computers. You are truly great!

more_horiz
Hi

I will give you suggestions on getting a firewall after your computer is declared clean.

After Malwarebytes has run, post the log in your next reply. If nothing found, your computer will be declared clean.

Post when ready. Smile...

more_horiz
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Here is the log before I selected to delete all the items from Malwarebytes.

Good grief, there were like 30 items on there to be removed.

Database version: 2551
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

9/11/2009 12:32:20 AM
mbam-log-2009-09-11 (00-32-13).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 129325
Time elapsed: 27 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 29

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CoreGuard (Rogue.CoreGuard2009) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UAC (Rootkit.Trace) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\Protection System (Rogue.ProtectionSystem) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hjgruisiwjywwv.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\temp\UACb81b.tmp (Rogue.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\temp\UACcf4c.tmp (Rogue.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruihqswevpege.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruintibfgqsep.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruipubvpmmcxk.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\temp\uac261d.tmp (Rogue.ProtectionSystem) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\temp\uac64a4.tmp (Rogue.ProtectionSystem) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\Protection System\blacklist.cga (Rogue.ProtectionSystem) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\Protection System\core.cga (Rogue.ProtectionSystem) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bennuar.old (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sonhelp.htm (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysnet.dat (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\ppp3.dat (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\ppp4.dat (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uacinit.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\3.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\4.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\5.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\A.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\B.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\C.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\D.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\onhelp.htm (Rogue.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wispex.html (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bincd32.dat (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.
C:\Documents and Settings\medquist\Desktop\winlogon.exe (Heuristics.Reserved.Word.Exploit) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hjgruifrqobwew.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\UACpxssjsaotr.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

more_horiz
Hi

Please remove selected in Malwarebytes, so those entries vanish.

Then, perform a Full Scan, this time. Remove selected, when it prompts. Please post the log in your next reply.

more_horiz
Here is my latest full scan from Malwarebytes...

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2551

9/11/2009 11:52:01 AM
mbam-log-2009-09-11 (11-52-01).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 219129
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 40 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

more_horiz
Sorry, I just now realized that my Malwarebytes had been updated for a while so I'm going to rescan again.

more_horiz
Latest Malwarebytes log after installing updates... All items successfully removed and computer rebooted. So far, computer is working fine. I have installed the Avira program on and it definitely seems to work better than AVG. Would you recommend using the Avira instead of AVG?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2780

9/11/2009 12:14:11 PM
mbam-log-2009-09-11 (12-14-11).txt

Objects scanned: 133280
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 2
Files Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{bf56a325-23f2-42ad-f4e4-00aac39caa53} (Trojan.Ertfor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{76dc0b63-1533-4ba9-8be8-d59eb676fa02} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\temp\UACab7f.tmp (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

more_horiz
Hi

We need to run a stealth Malwarebytes.
So do the following, please:

Please open Command Prompt (Start > Run -- Enter CMD and press OK)

enter the following, in order (make sure the popup that says the Update was successful when it prompts, then do the third parameter):

cd c:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
mbam.exe /runupdate
mbam.exe /quickscanterminate

Then, allow it to run. It should display a log. If it does not, please open Malwarebytes and retrieve it, via the logs tab. It should be at the top of the list. Post the log back here. Then, please reboot your computer.

more_horiz
Here you go...

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2780

9/11/2009 8:13:16 PM
mbam-log-2009-09-11 (20-13-16).txt

Objects scanned: 132122
Time elapsed: 21 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

more_horiz
Hi

Congrats Hooray! your system is clean.

Please read the following information that I have provided, which will help you prevent malicious software in the future. Please keep in mind, malware is a continuous danger on the Internet. It is highly important to stay safe while browsing, to prevent re-infection.

Software recommendations

Firewall

• Tallemu Online Armor: the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version.
  • Comodo Firewall: the free version is just as good as the premium. I have linked you to the free version. The optional security suite enhances the firewall by 40% increase. If you would like to install the suite that includes antivirus, then remove your old antivirus first.
  • PC Tools Firewall Plus: free and excellent firewall.

AntiSpyware

• SpywareBlaster
    SpywareBlaster is a program that prevents spyware from installing on your computer. A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster may be found here.
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    Spybot - Search & Destroy is a spyware and adware removal program. It also has realtime protection, TeaTimer to help safeguard your computer against spyware. (The link for Spybot - Search & Destroy contains a tutorial that will help you download, install, and begin using Spybot).

NOTE: Please keep ALL of these programs up-to-date and run them whenever you suspect a problem to prevent malware problems.

Resident Protection help
A number of programs have resident protection and it is a good idea to run the resident protection of one of each type of program to maintain protection. However, it is important to run only one resident program of each type since they can conflict and become less effective. That means only one antivirus, firewall, and scanning anti-spyware program at a time. Passive protectors such as SpywareBlaster can be run with any of them.

Rogue programs help
There are a lot of rogue programs out there that want to scare you into giving them your money and some malware actually claims to be security programs. If you get a popup for a security program that you did not install yourself, do NOT click on it and ask for help immediately. It is very important to run an antivirus and firewall, but you can't always rely on reviews and ads for information. Ask in a security forum that you trust if you are not sure. If you are unsure and looking for anti-spyware programs, you can find out if it is a rogue here:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Securing your computer

• Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • hpHosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. This prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1, which is your local computer's loopback address, meaning it will be difficult to infect your computer in the future.

Please consider using an alternate browser
Mozilla's Firefox browser is a very good alternative. In addition to being generally more secure than Internet Explorer, it has a very good built-in popup blocker and add-ons, like NoScript, can make it even more secure. Opera is another good option.

If you are interested:

more_horiz
Thank you so very much for all of your help. I greatly appreciate it, you really don't know how much. I am sending a donation for your fantastic work.

I will get the above programs that you have recommended downloaded and running.

more_horiz
You are welcome.

Thank you for choosing GeekPolice. Please leave feedback: http://www.geekpolice.net/Feedback-h15.htm

Smile...

more_horiz
Since this issue appears to be solved, this topic is now closed and being marked solved.

If you need the topic reopened, PM an administrator, moderator, or staff.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum