WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSS Virus Removed But Still Causing Problems EmptySS Virus Removed But Still Causing Problems

more_horiz
On my sister's MacBook running a dual boot XP/OSX (Apple side hasn't been able to boot for a year I think), she got the System Security virus. I booted in Safe Mode and ran MalwareBytes. I also ran an Avast! scan and manually deleted files and stopped processes from running on boot. Worked like a charm, except that Internet Explorer and Firefox no longer work. I have tried complete uninstalls and reinstalls as well as changing connection settings but I'm afraid a piece of the virus is still messing with my computer. I can run both programs but they tell me the address can't be found or I'm not connected to the internet. I am still connected to the network and some programs can update themselves.

So I updated all the Java stuff and ran Hijackthis. Please note that she is running SP2 because I can't access the Windows Update site and attempts at a manual flash drive update have ended with errors.

Edit: If it matters at all, in C:/Windows/Temp there are two .DAT files that I cannot move, view, or delete: Perflib_Perfdata_9f8 and Perflib_Perfdata_47c

Last edited by BeardedPeaches on 7th August 2009, 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

descriptionSS Virus Removed But Still Causing Problems EmptyRe: SS Virus Removed But Still Causing Problems

more_horiz
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:31:48 AM, on 8/7/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe
C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleCDEject.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brightness.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
E:\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleCdEject] C:\WINDOWS\system32\AppleCDEject.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Brightness] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brightness.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [16458594] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\16458594\16458594.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe" --force_start_minimized
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [reader_s] C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\reader_s.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [reader_s] C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\reader_s.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - https://upload.facebook.com/controls/2008.10.10_v5.5.8/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe

--
End of file - 4674 bytes

descriptionSS Virus Removed But Still Causing Problems EmptyRe: SS Virus Removed But Still Causing Problems

more_horiz
I'm afraid I have bad news.

Your system is infected with a polymorphic file infector called Virut. Virut is capable of infecting all the machine's executable files (.exe) and screensaver files (.scr). However, the problem is that the virus has a number of bugs in its code, and as a result, it may misinfect a proportion of executable files and therefore, the files are corrupted beyond repair. As of now, security experts suggest that a format and clean install, or destructive recovery if you have an OEM recovery partition, is the best way to clean the infection and it is the best and safest way to return the machine to its normal working state.

Backup all your documents and important items (personal data, work documents, etc) only. DO NOT backup any executable files (softwares) and screensavers (*.scr). It attempts to infect any accessed .exe or .scr files by appending itself to the executable.

Also, avoid backing up compressed files (zip/cab/rar) files that have .exe or .scr files inside them. Virut can penetrate and infect .exe files inside compressed files too.

Recent variants also modify htm, html, asp and php files.

Do not back up to another machine, as it may become compromised. Burn to DVD/CD, or to an external drive which has nothing else on it, and which you can format should it happen to become infected from the backups.

For more information, please see Here

Instructions how to format and reinstall Windows can be found Here

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
SS Virus Removed But Still Causing Problems DXwU4
SS Virus Removed But Still Causing Problems VvYDg

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum