WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSymantec error 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem EmptySymantec error 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem

more_horiz
Hello,

I have been trying to send emails through thunderbird, but I kept getting an error about my SMTP server. I searched online and found that checking my anti-virus software may help. I just tried to open my Symantec Antivirus, and this is the message I received:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~2\vpc32.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0dfd IP:010a OP:63 8b d7 e8 7a Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I have the options of Close or Ignore. Do I have a virus, or has my antivirus software simply expired and I need to reinstall it?

Thanks so much for any help, and I think when I solve my antivirus problem, I should be able to send emails again through thunderbird. I can receive them just fine.

descriptionSymantec error 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem EmptyRe: Symantec error 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem

more_horiz
Hello,

Can you post a screenshot of the message?

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Symantec error 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionSymantec error 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem EmptyRe: Symantec error 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem

more_horiz
Symantec error 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem Symant12

more_horiz
*bump*

more_horiz
Hello,

The message you are getting could be caused to malware. Also, I found this fix; http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/16-bit-MS-DOS-Subsystem-Error-Quick-Fix.shtml

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Thank you for your reply. I ran a malware check and found nothing, and I downloaded the fix you suggested at that website. Unfortunately, the first step of using that fix program asks me to insert my Windows XP CD, but this computer was given to me by my university and I was not given the Windows XP CD.

I think my symantec antivirus is broken, for I only get that message when I try to open that program. I just tried to uninstall it, but I was prompted for an uninstall password, which I did not know since I did not install it on the computer - it came with the computer when it was given to me. I have contacted my university and hopefully they can help me uninstall it, and then I can download some working antivirus software.

Right now I am running Avira Antivir since I suspect Symantec isn't working, but what program (it doesn't have to be free) would you suggest for long term protection? Thanks again for the advice!

more_horiz
Hello,

Two good ones I know of are Kaspersky and NOD32. Also, you shouldn't run two antiviruses at the same time.

more_horiz
Thanks for the advice. I successfully uninstalled symantec and am now only running Avira Antivir. I'll search around and see where and how I can get one of the two you mentioned (at which point I will uninstall Avira). Thanks again for all your help!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum