WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionsystem security virus Emptysystem security virus

more_horiz
I have windows XP and have been getting all the "system security" pop ups with the fake scans and need to download fixes. I've tried a number of the fixes I've found out on the web but the virus won't let me install/run any softwares or programs. Now the computer won't boot in safemode.
From what I can tell from posted instructions and forums there is not one remedy process that works for all. I really don't have a lot of files saved to backup and wondering if wiping HD clean and reloading OS and drivers is best option.

Thanks in advance for assistance

descriptionsystem security virus EmptyRe: system security virus

more_horiz
Hello stephenjsr,

Welcome to Geek Police, my name is Origin and I will be helping you today. Please keep the following in mind:

• If you do not get a reply from me or another helper within 2 days, please reply to your topic with the phrase BUMP
  • If you have any cracked/pirated software in your computer delete them or we will not help you.
  • Only follow advise from Geek Police Staff and not a regular member.
  • Do NOT run any tool without Geek Police supervision as it could hinder your system useless.

Well yes wiping everything from your OS and formatting is the best way but if you want I will try my best to help you remove it so that won't be the case.

See if you can download HijackThis:

Please download the current version of HijackThis from HERE

• Double click and run the installer.
  • It will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\hijackthis.exe
  • After installing, you should get the user agreement, press accept and Hijack This will run.
  • Select Do a system scan and save a log file. This will open a notepad file of everything Hijack This found, copy and paste it back here.

............................................................................................

While my help is always free, please consider donating to keep this site alive: Donate

system security virus 2wg6fte

descriptionsystem security virus EmptyThanks for the response Origin

more_horiz
I'll try it but what I have experienced at this point is the virus won't let me run anything. I can save to desktop but then it won't let me open to run. It's blocking opening cd's for install like Norton and I've tried loading from a flash saved on another computer. Again it will let me save to desktop but not run. Couple I tried were pctools and spydoctor.
Also if I try to start in safe mode I get the MS blue screen with auto shutdown to avoid damage.
Teh only reason I mentioned wiping clean and reloading is the harddrive is only acouple months old and most of what i use it for is email and web sites like Linkedin, so I wouldn't be losing much.

more_horiz
Hello.
Can you run this version, it's renamed so hopefully, it might work.
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/932rpd

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
system security virus DXwU4
system security virus VvYDg

more_horiz
I didn't try the second one yet but when I access these links the first box asks to run or save. I need to save to desktop then open to run right? I can intialy get all these saved to desktop but once there it will do nothing.

I'll wait for response on second option

more_horiz
Yes, save to Desktop.
As for running it, the first option you tried was Origins link with the official name for Hijack This, but as you saw, the malware blocks it. Leaving us with a problem of finding a way around it, and we have, by renaming it to a system file name (winlogon) which the malware believes is the real thing and doesn't block it. Smile...

more_horiz
That worked but I did not "run" it from desktop I just clicked on run when the second box opened.

Do I just copy and paste or do I hit "analyze this" to upload to trend secure. Also should I keep the log window open to check items later. Lastly this virus typically gives me about 30 -40 minutes then goes to a smaller version of whats on my wallpaper (from them) and have to reboot.

more_horiz
I had to reboot so I have the hijackthis icon that looks like a notepad and the winlog icon on desktop. Haven't tried to open either, not sure if I should do that or start over with the link above

more_horiz
I have the log back up again but don't seem to be able to copy. It only lets me highlight one item at atime even when holding down left click on mouse.

more_horiz
Can you do the keyboard shortcut for select all? ctrl+A?

more_horiz
The problem is I can see the log in the window it was run in but I can't open the file with the log on my desktop.

more_horiz
I did hit the analye this button which I guess sends it to Trend ?? I guess what I'm looking at is the live tool to manage the log.

more_horiz
No, don't use that.
Can you transport the logfile across to another machine via a USB stick?

more_horiz
Looks like it took. I'll take alook and send from other computer.

more_horiz
My gosh !!!
here you go

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:50:34 AM, on 7/9/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\12658014\12658014.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Desktop\winlogon.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://att.my.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: C:\WINDOWS\system32\gsf83iujid.dll - {D76AB2A1-00F3-42BD-F434-00BBC39C8953} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gsf83iujid.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [net] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.net"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [12658014] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\12658014\12658014.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [net] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.net"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [A00F9D411A.exe] C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\_A00F9D411A.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [] C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\n4m7qt51w.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LowRiskFileTypes] C:\WINDOWS\sysguard.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows System Recover!] C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\svchost.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [hsf7husjnfg98gi498aejhiugjkdg4] C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\n4m7qt51w.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ttool] C:\WINDOWS\9129837.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steve] C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Steve.exe /i
O4 - Startup: fmnupd32.exe
O4 - Startup: zqosys32.exe
O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/resource/download/scanner/wlscbase1140.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1245890155411
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: rtasgvfu76ew8ndkfno94 - {D76AB2A1-00F3-42BD-F434-00BBC39C8953} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gsf83iujid.dll
O23 - Service: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: lich - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lich.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: WLANKEEPER - Intel®️ Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic Updates (wuauserv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\

--
End of file - 5552 bytes

more_horiz
Your system is severly infected. Problem with these infections nowadays is, it causes a lot of damage. Even if we clean the malware off your system, I can't guarantee that your system will be clean afterwards, because these infections/bundles leave a lot of leftovers behind that most scanners won't even recognise and logs won't show.
Also, I can't promise you we can repair all the damage it caused... Even after cleaning the malware, you can still get errors afterwards because of the damage. Solving these is not always possible since it will be searching for a needle in a haystack to find the right cause and solution.
So, we can try to clean this up and do what we can, but keep in mind that we can't solve ALL problems this malware already caused.

In light of this it would be wise for you to back up any files and folders that you don't want to lose before we start. Reason I am telling this is because when a system is so terribly infected and we try to clean this up manually, the damage that is already present may interfere with our removal attempts.

• Open HijackThis.
  • Choose "Do a system scan only"
  • Check the boxes in front of these lines:

O2 - BHO: C:\WINDOWS\system32\gsf83iujid.dll - {D76AB2A1-00F3-42BD-F434-00BBC39C8953} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gsf83iujid.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [net] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.net"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [12658014] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\12658014\12658014.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [net] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\net.net"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [A00F9D411A.exe] C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\_A00F9D411A.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [] C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\n4m7qt51w.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LowRiskFileTypes] C:\WINDOWS\sysguard.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows System Recover!] C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\svchost.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [hsf7husjnfg98gi498aejhiugjkdg4] C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\n4m7qt51w.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ttool] C:\WINDOWS\9129837.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steve] C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Steve.exe /i
    O4 - Startup: fmnupd32.exe
    O4 - Startup: zqosys32.exe
    O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: rtasgvfu76ew8ndkfno94 - {D76AB2A1-00F3-42BD-F434-00BBC39C8953} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gsf83iujid.dll
    O23 - Service: lich - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lich.exe

• Press "Fix Checked"
  • Close Hijack This.

Please download and run this tool.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Post the contents of the MBAM Log.

While my help is always free, please consider donating to keep this site alive: Donate

system security virus 2wg6fte

more_horiz
First, I appreciate your assistance to this point and will donate towards keeping this resource available.

Like I indicated earlier I have very little saved on this computer in terms of files to save. Hard drive is only 2 months old and it's not our personal computer so no pictures etc. You mentioned to wipe it clean and reinstall would be the best way. I'm assuming you mean the virus would be totally eliminated along with everything else.
I installed evrything on this harddrive when I got it so pretty familiar with that part but do you have to do some thing to clean existing out first or just reinstall O/S and drivers.

Let me know your thoughts

more_horiz
Okay, if you feel a format would be a better and safer solution for you, then go for it.

more_horiz
I thought it was you but I guess it was origin that said format was the best thing. But you also indicated it would be difficult to completely repair.

Is there a down side to formatting?. I installed the OS and drivers when I got he current HD and it took sometime but wasn't difficult. Is there a process to wipe HD clean first or just reload the O/S and drivers?

Thanks

more_horiz
Nope, formatting wipes everything, including the drivers, that's why formatting is the last resort we use. But on the up side, it wipes the malware too.

Whatever drivers you need, quickly back them up now while you can. Smile...

more_horiz
I have discs for the O/S and all drivers from when the computer was new. I loaded them to the current HD when I replaced the old one. Is there anything else I need and is the process to just reload the O/S and drivers or is there a removal process?

Thanks

more_horiz
Formatting is formatting.

Instructions how to format and reinstall Windows can be found Here

more_horiz
I get the feeling you may get a taste of defeat with a format instead of removal/repair. As malicious as the virus's are and you volunteer your time i wouldn't blame you if thats the case.

thanks for your help, already sent donation and will return if need be.

more_horiz
Hello.
I don't see it that way. I could remove what I can see so far only from looking at the Hijack This log, but may discover something more. I am also thinking about your well being. A machine as badly damaged as this is, is wide open to another infection if we don't lock it down and prevent it happening again.

When I get a machine as badly damaged as this is, I have to ask myself if it's worth the effort cleaning it, because there is some infections out there that can't be cleaned, and in cases like yours, it's a case of where to drawing the line for your safety.

more_horiz
would that indicate the formatting be the safest solution, just risk anything not saved ?

Appreciate it.

more_horiz
Formatting is your choice. We just point our that a machine as badly damaged as this sometimes can be fixed, but the removal methods we use on a machine like this can be even more dangerous than it would be for others.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum