WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionDirty volume!! EmptyDirty volume!!

more_horiz
hi

I wonder if you can help me. Every time i turn on my computer it comes up with "the volume is dirty" and then starts verifying all the files. Any suggestions on what i can do? the computer is a dell and its windows XP. I'm a complete novice with computers so go easy on the tech words!

Cheers

Stephen

descriptionDirty volume!! EmptyRe: Dirty volume!!

more_horiz
The problem was caused by information having been being sent and then interrupted. It would be like if you were to put a kink in a hose. This could have happened from not shutting down your computer properly.

First try this:
1)Start Menu
2)Programs
3)Accessories
4)System Tools
5)Automatic Recovery or System Restore

Unfortunately, I did some research, and you have two options. We can help you just not see the error message, or you will have to reformat your hard drive. Reformatting the hard drive will remove everything from the hard drive including any programs you have installed.

more_horiz
Thanks for the reply. Reformatting sounds a bit scary! Is it easy to do? I'm not sure I still have all the discs that I sed to install when i first got the computer. Would Dell provided them to me or do you think I'd have to pay for them? I have done sytstem recovery before. I presume i have to go back to before the problem started. Is there a way of knowing how far to go back?

maybe just getting rid of the message woudl be simpler.

Does this problem slow down the computer as mine seems very slow!

Cheers for any advice.

more_horiz
Hello, there is another solution I would like to suggest.

This happens because when your windows is started the Chkdsk system; autochk.exe scans the drives. If an error is found, autochk performs a chkdsk /f check on theat volume. Chkdsk /f will try to fix any problems found.

To fix it, go to Start >> Run >> Type in cmd >> Type fsutil dirty query d:. After that, type CHKNTFS /X D:. This command will disable the disk check the next time you boot up your computer.

Restart your computer and open CMD again and type and now do a Chkdsk manually by typing Chkdsk /f /r d:. After that, type fsutil dirty query d: and Windows will confirm that the errors are corrected.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Dirty volume!! Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
Hi Doctor inferno

I did as you said. I got to the cmd bit and when i typed in fsutil dirty query d: it says "the parameter are incorrect"! Am I typing it in wrong? Should I not leave spaces between each word? I tried that but it came up with the same thing.

Sorry to be a pain but any help appreciated.

Cheers

Callum

more_horiz
Hello,

Try to us C instead of D.

fsutil dirty query C

............................................................................................

Dirty volume!! Lambo-11

more_horiz
hi

C worked until I restarted the computer. When I typed in Chkdsk /f /r c: it says "Chkdsk cannot run as the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

I presume that is a no as I'll be back to where I was before. Any thoughts?

Cheers

more_horiz
Hello,

Select Yes (Y).

Dirty volume!! Lambo-11

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum