WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionMounting problems with CPU Cooler EmptyMounting problems with CPU Cooler

more_horiz
I have had this Gateway 506GR computer for about five years. The CPU Cooler is beginning whine and grind. The motherboard is a Intel D915GAG pentium 4 processor 550 3.4 GHz Socket 775 4 Pin Connector. The old CPU Cooler is a Cooler Master CM V12 (screw in mount). I am about to show my ignorance here: Can I just purchase a Socket 775 cooler (screw in mount)and screw it into the existing mount. Would I have to use the back plate?
One cooler supplier said I had to use it for grounding. I'm thinking that the original mount is grounded.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Ron :hmm:

Last edited by Doctor Inferno on 28th May 2009, 6:57 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional info)

descriptionMounting problems with CPU Cooler EmptyRe: Mounting problems with CPU Cooler

more_horiz
The back plate is not needed for a back plate. I dont think that lga775 stock fan, most likely foxconn HSF screws, are able to fit through your existing back plate. In the end, its quite safe without a back plate because that HSF is very light weight and doesn't require a backplate.

descriptionMounting problems with CPU Cooler EmptyRe: Mounting problems with CPU Cooler

more_horiz
Thank you for your reply. I guess I will purchase a cooler such as the Masscool 8WT 15-17 (LGA775) which has the spring type screws and hope it will fasten to my mobo. I am not familiar with the "foxconn HSF screws". Can these be purchased separately?
Thanks
Ron

more_horiz
TheWeave wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I guess I will purchase a cooler such as the Masscool 8WT 15-17 (LGA775) which has the spring type screws and hope it will fasten to my mobo. I am not familiar with the "foxconn HSF screws". Can these be purchased separately?
Thanks
Ron

I belief the stock fan is also using screw type fan like in the picture.
Mounting problems with CPU Cooler Cooler775
This fan is made by foxconn if Im not wrong.

more_horiz
Hi
The cooler shown in the picture does't screw in. Look here:http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2231&page=6
Evidently my mobo has a backplate installed for the original cooler. I don't want to pull my mobo so I will try a cooler with the spring type screw connectors and hope the the threads match.
I appreciate your feedback.
Ron

more_horiz
Its a screw in HSF-.-, see properly. If you dont want to remove the backplate, you can find other brands which uses the same kind of screws. I dont know what size your screw need to be but I will rather change the whole thing. Good luck on your search.

more_horiz
Thank you. I have ordered a cooler with spring loaded screws. I will let you know this works.
Ron

more_horiz
Hi

The cooler (Dynatron P-985) screwed right in and appears to be working fine. Thanks again for your response.

Ron

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum