WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionUpgrade to 64-bit (Windows Vista) EmptyUpgrade to 64-bit (Windows Vista)

more_horiz
Hey,

So I bought windows vista, the 64-bit version... however, it seems that I'm only using the 32-bit version and since I have 8gb of ram I want to take the advantage of that. I've probably searched at the wrong place but I can't find a way to "patch" my system. It would be very appreciated if you could help me with this tiny (?) problem Smile...

descriptionUpgrade to 64-bit (Windows Vista) EmptyRe: Upgrade to 64-bit (Windows Vista)

more_horiz
InsanityVonMike wrote:
Hey,

So I bought windows vista, the 64-bit version... however, it seems that I'm only using the 32-bit version and since I have 8gb of ram I want to take the advantage of that. I've probably searched at the wrong place but I can't find a way to "patch" my system. It would be very appreciated if you could help me with this tiny (?) problem Smile...

You cant 'patch' your system to be able to use all 8gigs of ram because its limited by the architecture of the operating system.

From Wiki :

In computer architecture, 32-bit integers, memory addresses, or other data units are those that are at most 32 bits (4 octets) wide. Also, 32-bit CPU and ALU architectures are those that are based on registers, address buses, or data buses of that size. 32-bit is also a term given to a generation of computers in which 32-bit processors were the norm.

The range of integer values that can be stored in 32 bits is 0 through 4,294,967,295 or −2,147,483,648 through 2,147,483,647 using two's complement encoding. Hence, a processor with 32-bit memory addresses can directly access 4 GB of byte-addressable memory.

descriptionUpgrade to 64-bit (Windows Vista) EmptyRe: Upgrade to 64-bit (Windows Vista)

more_horiz
So how will I be able to get 64 because that's what I payed for.

more_horiz
InsanityVonMike wrote:
So how will I be able to get 64 because that's what I payed for.

I don't understand, You should be able to install both 32bit and 64bit version. The 64bit windows vista should be included in the box. If not, grab your copy from here or torrent/rapidshare, just use your original license.

more_horiz
We do not encourage torrent/P2P.

If you dual boot, you can get 32/64 bit at the same time, but Doc will talk you through that if you want to do that.

64bit works differently to 32bit, you will notice not all programs you run in 32bit work in 64.

more_horiz
Belahzur wrote:
We do not encourage torrent/P2P.

If you dual boot, you can get 32/64 bit at the same time, but Doc will talk you through that if you want to do that.

I've heard about dual booting and it's quite interesting in this case - does it slow down the computer?

Belahzur wrote:
64bit works differently to 32bit, you will notice not all programs you run in 32bit work in 64.

Such as? Any particular programs?

more_horiz
Pretty much 98% of programs on the internet, you have to download the 64bit version of their programs, that goes for antivirus' too.

I know nothing of dual booting because it modifies boot.ini and that file is needed, if that file doesn't exist, then you can't boot.

more_horiz
Hm... how do you know for sure what version you are using? I got the fact when I entered the background settings. It's really odd that I don't have the 64-bits version since it says on the dvd "This dvd contains 64-bits version only" (translated).

more_horiz
There are signs around the machine.

Two signs are as follows:

C:\Program Files(x86) <== see the (x86)?
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 <== allows 64bit files to run in 32bit mode.

That's just the basics some users notice, if your advanced and know what your doing, some of our tools give off signs too.

more_horiz
Yes, both those are visible. But how come it says in my background settings that I'm only using 32?

more_horiz
Not sure, possibly that it thinks it's 32bit because the SysWOW64 allows 64bit to run under 32bit mode.

more_horiz
Okey, but it shouldn't prevent me from using 8gb of ram, am i correct?

more_horiz
I doubt you could use ALL 8gigs LMBO or ROFL But yes, it shouldn't prevent you from using your available system resources.

more_horiz
Belahzur wrote:
I doubt you could use ALL 8gigs LMBO or ROFL But yes, it shouldn't prevent you from using your available system resources.

hehe, no of course not but it's a hell more than I would otherwise Goofy Thanks for your help!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum