WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionProblems with my laptop EmptyProblems with my laptop

more_horiz
I have some major and minor problems with my laptop. I'm not sure if it's hardware or what. I want a new one with bigger hard drive, more RAM and such, but just can't afford it at the moment. So, I'm hoping that some of you can possibly help me figure out what is going on with it.

Here's my laptop information:
Acer (bought the end of 2006, I believe)
Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP3
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3400+
789mHz 448MB RAM

First, for the minor problem. Something seems to be wrong with my AC adapter/power cord. Also, the battery is horrible, therefore I HAVE to have it connected to the AC adapter because the battery doesn't last long enough. Anyway, there's a short or something in the power cord because the laptop shows the battery icon and shows low battery a lot even when the power cord is plugged in. I can wiggle the power cord a little, and the screen gets brighter and the icon disappears and I'll briefly see the power cord icon, sometimes the cord with another little icon on it showing it's charging that quickly disappears. I guess these minor problems could be solved by buying a new battery and AC Adapter. I might do that if I can get the main problems below fixed....don't want to put any money into this if it's just gonna die on me anyway.

A little over a month ago, I had quite a bit of software on it that I wasn't using anymore, so I decided to uninstall it to have more hard drive space. Some of the software was things such as WebShots Desktop, IWinGames/Family Feud, Google Earth, Skype, Orb, VeohTVBeta, Virtual Earth Beta, Google Media Server. There were a few others like the MySpace Karaoke vocal thing...don't remember what it was called, etc. Oh, and also I had uninstalled Avast Anti-virus (went back to using AVG for one thing because I couldn't get AVG to uninstall...lol) and also uninstalled Commando Firewall. For one, my computer started seeming so much slower with either or both the Avast and Firewall (were downloaded at the same time), so I decided to just uninstall them along with all the other unused software.

Anyway, not long after this, my computer speakers started sounding horrible. It's hard to describe, very slow and just a funky VERY distorted sound. Then, around the same time, the computer started running VERY slowly...I mean taking at least 30-45 minutes to finally go from booting up to the desktop (and I don't have a bunch of programs needing to start up...only Anti-virus). Well, I didn't understand this because I thought the computer would run much faster after taking a bunch of those programs off. Well, somewhere in the process, it seems something got corrupted or damaged.

The first thing I thought about the speakers was drivers. So, I downloaded a more current driver version and that didn't fix it. The sound was like that even with headphones plugged in.

I wasn't sure (and still not sure) if the sound thing and the computer going so very slow were a related problem or not.

I had done a little research on the internet and had found that my laptop's symptoms could sometimes be related to bad RAM (which I was hoping for instead of motherboard). So, I made the Windows disk of the RAM test thing and changed the boot up order so it could boot the CD. It did find errors. But, I also did the Memtest 86 or whatever it is, and it found no errors...running all day and all night long.

Well, I really didn't want to lose everything and reinstall Windows, so I tried a restore point back to a previous date. Well, the computer was running much faster and the sound was working. But, I noticed that a bunch of those software I had previously uninstalled were back again, of course, since I did the system restore. So, I deleted those again and checked the sound and how the computer was running after rebooting and all was fine. So, I created another system restore point for then.

Well, it was only a couple of weeks till the computer was running very slow again and the sound messed up again. The only thing I had done was do AVG updates and do Windows update (because of the system restore..it went back to before those updates). Then, I also started getting a blue stop error screen KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR 0X0000007A. It was also going to checkdisk on starting up. The only errors I noticed that it supposedly fixed was something to do with an AVG folder and a Mozilla Firefox folder...didn't really understand it. Also, I was having issues with Internet Explorer (some things I still have to use that browser for). It would close and would tell me that an add-on called agcutils.dll was running when the error occurred. Well, after researching that, it seems that it is part of the Webshots Desktop that I had uninstalled, but evidently it still left some stuff on. I was able to get back on Internet Explorer by disabling that add-on in Internet Explorer. Also, I don't remember exactly...I was having some hibernate problem as well and not going to screensaver...it would just stay on desktop if I just left it open when it's idle.

So, I did another system restore back to that same one I had created. Sound worked again and all. This time, the only thing I have done is updated JAVA and AVG updates. I still haven't done the Windows update even though the security thing is still showing down in the taskbar because I'm wondering if it had something to do with my problems.

But, now so far, I'm still having a problem. As of right now, the sound is still working. The computer is a little slower, but nothing compared to how slow it was when the sound was messed up. But, today I have gotten a blue stop error screen. This time telling me KERNEL_DATA_STACK_ERROR 0X00000077. Then, the computer went to checkdisk, but I canceled it because I didn't have a lot of time and I needed to get on the computer real quick. And, I've gotten some beeps. I got 2 beeps and maybe a minute or so later another beep and a little while later another beep. All the while, I was trying to make sure my stupid cord is connected good so that I could get a chance to jot down what the screen said at the time it beeped. So, I'm not sure if any of the latter beeps might be because the power cord wasn't connected or what, so I'm not sure if those are separate beeps for different errors if they are indeed a sequence code or whatever. Anyway, I did jot down what it said at the time it beeped:

It was a black screen and said:
BIOS V.2.00 Phoenix something (didn't catch all of it)
VGA BIOS ATI UMA V008.050I.017.000.18675

640K System RAM Passed
446M Extended RAM Passed
256kB L2Cache

System BIOS Shadowed
Video BIOS Shadowed
ERROR: 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0 (can hardly read my writing here....was jotting it down quickly...lol)
F1 - Resume F2 - Setup

Sorry this is so long, but I'm just trying to give all the details I can possibly remember to try to figure out what the problem is.

I thought about buying some more RAM and just trying it just to hopefully eliminate it being a RAM problem.

Anyway, does anyone have any input on this as to what the problem could be? Please! I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I forgot to add...I've run AVG, Ad-aware, Super Anti-Spyware, MalwareBytes and nothing has been found.

Last edited by LadySmith on 2nd March 2009, 7:22 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to add that I've run AV and anti-spyware/malware already)

descriptionProblems with my laptop EmptyRe: Problems with my laptop

more_horiz
Ok, let's eliminate the problems one by one, starting with the first few.

First off, the power. Lithium ion batteries, be it for cell phones or laptops will wear down and loose it's cycle durability over time. So it's normal for this to happen. As for the power cord, it may be caused by wear and tear, when you plug it in and out, over time it wears out. You can get a replacement for both the cords and batteries.

The sound problem you are experiencing is most likely due to the sound drivers. Using another driver may solve the problem, grab it here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=23&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Select the operating system you are using and download.

I see that you have only 448 MB of RAM of which I am sure is the main cause of the slowness you are experiencing. XP's recommended RAM is 1GB, optimal is 2GB.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Problems with my laptop Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
Yeah, I figured the battery was probably worn out and the AC adapter. I will try to get new ones if I can get the other problems solved.

OK, I will download the driver as soon as I get back from picking up my son from school. But, for right now I don't have a sound problem. (Was just letting you know all the symptoms and weird things that's been going on with this laptop to hopefully pinpoint the problem.)

But, the thing is..I had already done that (downloaded driver) before I ever chose a restore point and it didn't fix the problem, which now I know the updated driver isn't there anymore since I restored it to an earlier date.

Last night after posting this, I totally shut down the laptop. When I turned it on just now some weird things happened.

I got a black screen that says the following:
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright C 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(x) 181301
810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller V. 2.13 (020326)

PXE-E61: Media Test Failing, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

This kept repeating and repeating...no way to get onto the computer, so I turned it off via the power button.

Then, when I turned it back on, it went to Chkdsk and the things it showed were moving really, really fast..so fast I couldn't read them. Then, it actually stopped at 30 percent and seemed like it was stuck there, but the things it showed, kept repeating...

Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\(weird characters that I don't have on my keyboard) Invalid time stamp

Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\(weird characters) Folder has non-zero file size

Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ (weird characters) first allocation unit not valid. The entry will be truncated.

These same things repeating over and over and I also spotted:

Removing invalid long folder entry form\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Removing trailing folder entries from \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Then, it stuck at 30 percent (Let it sit over an hour and it seemed to not be going any further.

So, I turned it off via the power button and turned it back on and this time cancelled the Chkdsk so I could get on here and post this.

Oh, I and I will get some more RAM, possibly gonna order at least 1G if not 2 from Crucial.

What could all of this be?

more_horiz

Indicates that you have a faulty hard disk, which is why Chkdsk started.

I very busy these few days, so my replies might be slower, will get back to you soon.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:

Indicates that you have a faulty hard disk, which is why Chkdsk started.

I very busy these few days, so my replies might be slower, will get back to you soon.

Ugh! Just what I need.

Last night I got a Microsoft Windows dialog box that said
The system has recovered from a serious error. A log has been created.

It mentioned some things to look for in event viewer including if there's any disk errors, especially concerning Event ID: 51 or Event ID: 55.

I checked that event viewer and there were several disk errors with Event Code: 51

I've never changed a hard drive on a laptop. Is it too hard? Is it even worth it with what seems like all these problems? I mean, surely it's cheaper than buying a new computer.

more_horiz
I was gonna start looking at hard drives. What kind do I need for this Acer Aspire 3100? I have no idea. What specifications and such?

Any recommendations as to the best prices would be great too.

more_horiz
It's not very difficult to change a laptop's RAM and hard disk in my opinion.

What hard disk sizes do you prefer?

Your notebook uses IDE, so you will have to find a hard disk which connects using an IDE cable.

Also, can you post your event viewer log?

more_horiz
I'm not sure what size hard drive I'll need....probably at least 250 or 300 or so because this one is 80 and it's just NOT enough room. Also, the one on my desktop PC is like 140 or 160 or something like that and it's about full too, so I would need something bigger.

I know that RAM and hard drive isn't hard to change in a desktop PC because I've done that, but I wasn't sure about a laptop -- never been on the inside of one.

Hmm...I didn't know this one was IDE, I was thinking it was SATA and that's what I had been looking at.

The model number for the current one I have in here is ST98823A. I think that's Seagate. From what research I've done it's 5400 rpm 80 GB Ultra ATA-100 whatever all that means.

OK, and I'll try to put that log here. I had to save it as a .txt file because that .evt file doesn't pull up for me. It may have to be broken up into a few posts as it's rather long. If you need more specifics on anything...the properties of any of them, jus let me know and I can do that and try to figure out how to post that.

Log below for today:

3/4/2009 8:00:20 AM Disk Warning None 51 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
3/4/2009 7:58:55 AM Disk Warning None 51 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
3/4/2009 7:58:55 AM Disk Warning None 51 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
3/4/2009 7:58:50 AM BROWSER Warning None 8021 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\LAURA-CQF573RYQ on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{E4A908E9-6D60-4A0F-9E07-3C95104CBDE9}. The data is the error code.
3/4/2009 7:58:40 AM Tcpip Information None 4201 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{E4A908E9-6D60-4A0F-9E07-3C95104CBDE9} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
3/4/2009 2:44:45 AM Tcpip Information None 4201 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{E4A908E9-6D60-4A0F-9E07-3C95104CBDE9} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
3/4/2009 2:44:35 AM Tcpip Information None 4202 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{E4A908E9-6D60-4A0F-9E07-3C95104CBDE9} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.
3/4/2009 1:44:27 AM Disk Error None 11 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
3/4/2009 1:18:55 AM DCOM Error None 10010 ACER-C28991BD48\Family ACER-C28991BD48 The server {F1911C41-D26B-4046-A91A-97AC89E8B3C6} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
3/4/2009 1:03:51 AM Service Control Manager Error None 7011 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the WZCSVC service.
3/4/2009 1:03:51 AM Tcpip Information None 4201 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{E4A908E9-6D60-4A0F-9E07-3C95104CBDE9} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
3/4/2009 1:03:39 AM Application Popup Information None 26 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 Application popup: Low Battery : You should change your battery or switch to outlet power immediately to keep from losing your work.
3/4/2009 1:03:39 AM Application Popup Information None 26 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 Application popup: Critical Battery : You should change your battery or switch to outlet power immediately to keep from losing your work.
3/4/2009 1:03:36 AM ACPIEC Error None 1 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 \Device\ACPIEC: The embedded controller (EC) hardware didn't respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible.
3/4/2009 1:03:36 AM Tcpip Information None 4202 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{E4A908E9-6D60-4A0F-9E07-3C95104CBDE9} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.
3/4/2009 12:56:07 AM Disk Error None 11 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
3/4/2009 12:38:28 AM Disk Warning None 51 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
3/4/2009 12:26:47 AM Tcpip Information None 4201 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{E4A908E9-6D60-4A0F-9E07-3C95104CBDE9} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
3/4/2009 12:26:12 AM Application Popup Information None 26 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 Application popup: Low Battery : You should change your battery or switch to outlet power immediately to keep from losing your work.
3/4/2009 12:26:12 AM Application Popup Information None 26 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 Application popup: Critical Battery : You should change your battery or switch to outlet power immediately to keep from losing your work.
3/4/2009 12:26:07 AM Tcpip Information None 4202 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{E4A908E9-6D60-4A0F-9E07-3C95104CBDE9} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.
3/4/2009 12:05:07 AM Disk Warning None 51 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
3/4/2009 12:05:07 AM Disk Warning None 51 N/A ACER-C28991BD48 An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

more_horiz
Let me know if you need any other days because it's rather long.

more_horiz
According to a site I checked, it stated that the laptop runs on IDE.

http://www2.dealtime.com/xPF-Acer-Xp-Media-Center-Edition-mobile-Amd-Sempron-3400-512MB-512-0-DDR2-533-SDRAM-6

You also stated that it is Ultra ATA, it is an enhanced version of the IDE interface that transfers data at 33, 66 or 100 Mbps. These enhancements are also called "Ultra DMA," "UDMA," "ATA-33," "ATA-66," "ATA-100," "DMA-33," "DMA-66" and "DMA-100."

I will take a look at the log tomorrow and get back to you, need to go to bed now.

more_horiz
Hmmm...that particular one has a 60 GB HDD where mine has 80...not sure if they still used the IDE for mine.

Mine still has the sticker on it with some of the specs and it says 80GB PATA HDD whatever that means.

I guess one sure way to tell would be to open it up and look...lol

OK, I appreciate it. Get some sleep.

more_horiz
Also, it seems Seagate has a 5 year warranty (which I assume means on the same hard drive or one comparable...same size and all). Well, I've only had this computer since like December 2006. Does that mean that even though my manufacturer warranty is out on my laptop through ACER that I could still get a HDD from Seagate? Or, is that only if you actually purchase the HDD separately?

more_horiz
yeah, PATA, ATA, ATAPI, IDE all has the same meaning. You can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Advanced_Technology_Attachment

I'm not sure if you are entitled to the warranty, but my guess is that you are.

I also have a feeling that the problem your are experiencing is caused by bad sectors. But since it's under warranty, you can get it repaired or replaced.

more_horiz
OK, I've ordered some more RAM for my laptop and am waiting for it to get here. I'm also gonna buy a new power cord and possibly battery.

Also, I've checked with Seagate and they're not letting the hard drive be covered under their 5 year warranty since it came with the laptop....said to contact computer manufacturer, which is Acer. Therefore, it is out of warranty.

So, any ideas on the best price for a hard drive for this Acer laptop? I would like something bigger than the 80G that's in it, but if it's more affordable, I could deal with that and maybe get an external hard drive. Either way, I've got to get a new internal laptop hard drive.

Is there anything that can be done to try to repair it without getting a new hard drive?

Also, I don't think my Windows XP Media Center Edition CD came with my laptop, but it does have the sticker on it with the ID number. How will I be able to load Windows on the new hard drive when I get one? I do still have my Dell Desktop Windows XP Professional Edition with SP1 that came with my desktop, but would it work since it came with a Dell computer if I use the ID number on my laptop since it's Media Center Edition on an Acer?

Thanks in advance!

more_horiz
Bad sectors can be removed by performing a full format of the hard drive. Insert your current Windows XP Media Center Edition CD and do a full recovery to factory state. It should solve the problem without having to get a new hard drive.

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
Bad sectors can be removed by performing a full format of the hard drive. Insert your current Windows XP Media Center Edition CD and do a full recovery to factory state. It should solve the problem without having to get a new hard drive.

I don't have the Windows XP Media Center Edition CD. I don't think it came with my laptop. It does, however, have the sticker on it with the ID tag or whatever it's called.

The only Windows XP CD I do have is the one that came with my Dell Desktop. It's not Media Center Edition. It's XP Professional with SP1. Will that work using the number from the sticker on my laptop? Or if I can find someone with Media Center Edition, can I use their CD, but use my sticker number?

more_horiz
If the CD didn't come with the laptop, it should have asked you if you want to burn a copy when you first turn the laptop on.

And yes, if you can find another Media Center Edition CD, it should work with the serial under your laptop.

Your laptop should also have a recovery partition, which has the same data as the Windows XP Media Center Edition CD, to access this recovery partition, follow these steps:

1. Power on the computer
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the Alt key and press the F10 key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery.
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click Restore to Factory Default Settings
4. Click OK to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press OK to reboot unit

Note that all data will be lost during this process and your computer will be brought back to it's original factory state and settings.

more_horiz
I do have a couple of CDs I burnt when I first got the laptop, but I wasn't sure if it's the Windows XP Media Center Edition CD.

I have them labeled.. One says Acer Backup Disk 1 and the other says Acer Back-up Disk 2 (Backup Image).

Is that what I need?

Would that practically do the same thing as using the recovery partition?

more_horiz
Yes, the CD and the recovery partition has the same image in it. The CDs are usually used as a last resort when you can't even access the recovery partition.

Follow the steps I stated in my previous post to perform the recovery via the recovery partition. The recovery process will be much faster compared to using the CDs.

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
Yes, the CD and the recovery partition has the same image in it. The CDs are usually used as a last resort when you can't even access the recovery partition.

Follow the steps I stated in my previous post to perform the recovery via the recovery partition. The recovery process will be much faster compared to using the CDs.

OK, I will do this as soon as the AC adapter/power cord I ordered comes in...hopefully sometime this week because now the power cord finally died to the point I can't even get it to come on. (I'm typing this from my desktop now)

I've also got RAM ordered (2G) that should come in sometime this week as well.

Hopefully, with the new RAM and power cord and doing the recovery, it will run like new again. I'll let ya know. Thanks so much for your help so far.

more_horiz
OK, I got my new RAM and AC adapter/power cord.

I tried the recovery you mentioned. It got to around 38% or so and had an error that said:
Restore failed!
Reason: 0xf0000006
"

Then, when it restarts it has a black screen with white letters that say:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

When I press any key to restart, it just says the same thing over and over so I have to manually turn it off.

So, then I tried the recovery via the CDs.

This time, it got to about 50% and then I got an error that said:

Restore failed
Reason: 0xf0000005

Again, when it restarts, it has the black screen with white letters stating:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

Is there anything that can be done now?

more_horiz
I'm still having this problem. Anything that can be done? I mean...what are the recovery partition and recovery CDs for if it won't restore?

more_horiz
Regrading NTLDR missing, please see this article:

Boot into your BIOS by pressing the Del button at start up. Select Advanced boot settings and change the first boot device to your hard disk, make sure it's not CD-ROM drive or USB devices.

Save the settings exit. See if the problem still exist.

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
Regrading NTLDR missing, please see this article:

Boot into your BIOS by pressing the Del button at start up. Select Advanced boot settings and change the first boot device to your hard disk, make sure it's not CD-ROM drive or USB devices.

Save the settings exit. See if the problem still exist.

I went into the Boot options in BIOS and the first boot device is the hard disk. I didn't have to change it.

Again, I tried the recovery and the restore still failed. When the computer starts, I get the NTLDR missing screen.

more_horiz
Read this article:

www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Let me know if it helps.

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
Read this article:

www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Let me know if it helps.

I appreciate this article...full of a lot of good information. But, I'm not sure I quite understand how I can fix this problem. I tried to follow this according to my problem and feel like I'm getting nowhere.

The only discs I have are the recovery discs. I don't have any software CDs or driver installation CDs at all.

I'm not sure if I can make a Windows XP bootable CD because the only ones I see listed there for that is XP Home or Professional and including SP1 and SP2 for each. My laptop has Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Even if I got a new hard drive, I'm not sure how I would reinstall the Windows XP Media Center Edition (would it work through the recovery CDs?). I do have the little sticker number thingy on the bottom of the laptop, but just don't have the CD.

I've tried the recovery console and recovery via CD and it fails.

I'm just confused on what to do.

more_horiz
Hold tight... I'm thinking of a solution for you, I have never experienced such a thing before.

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
Hold tight... I'm thinking of a solution for you, I have never experienced such a thing before.

Thanks! I appreciate it so much! I'm patient about this. I mean, I know nothing else to do.

more_horiz
One more thing I need to know, does your laptop still run fine? Like can it boot into normal Windows mode?

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
One more thing I need to know, does your laptop still run fine? Like can it boot into normal Windows mode?

No, now since it had went through some of the recovery (but never finished...failed), I'm assuming it wiped some of it clean, at least what it needs to boot. Now, when I turn it on is when I get the NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart screen. Pressing any key just makes this same message over and over. The laptop isn't usable at all at the moment.

more_horiz
Have you thought of anything on this yet? I miss my laptop!

more_horiz
Hm.. About "NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart" have some solution, might someone help..

1.If your lucky, go to BIOS and change First Boot Hard Disk.
2.Go to BIOS, change First Boot - to CD/DVD ROM. NOw retset your computer.
When you got message "Press any key to Boot from CD.." press something on your keyboard.
When Windows Setup come on, just press R on your keyboard for Recovery Console.
Chose what you wish, and type this inside:

Code:

copy D:\i386\NTLDR C:\NTLDR

*Important!
- Probably you install windows on C. partition, so i put C:\NTLDR .Change it if your not..
- CD/DVD Rom - i put D: , dunno what's yours.. So change it for your computer.. If you have E: just put E:\i386\NTLDR.. Your choice.

Now restart computer, and wait..

If this not help you, you probably have problem with Hard Disc, some parts are broken. Only what you can do - Backup your files.. That's all.
Hope some of this solution will help you.

Problems with my laptop V45u80

more_horiz
Nazzgull wrote:
Hm.. About "NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart" have some solution, might someone help..

1.If your lucky, go to BIOS and change First Boot Hard Disk.
2.Go to BIOS, change First Boot - to CD/DVD ROM. NOw retset your computer.
When you got message "Press any key to Boot from CD.." press something on your keyboard.
When Windows Setup come on, just press R on your keyboard for Recovery Console.
Chose what you wish, and type this inside:

Code:

copy D:\i386\NTLDR C:\NTLDR

*Important!
- Probably you install windows on C. partition, so i put C:\NTLDR .Change it if your not..
- CD/DVD Rom - i put D: , dunno what's yours.. So change it for your computer.. If you have E: just put E:\i386\NTLDR.. Your choice.

Now restart computer, and wait..

If this not help you, you probably have problem with Hard Disc, some parts are broken. Only what you can do - Backup your files.. That's all.
Hope some of this solution will help you.

I never got a chance to do the "copyD:\i386....", etc.

I followed your instructions...went to BIOS and the hard disk was the 1st boot option. Then, I went back into BIOS and changed it to the CD/DVD-ROM drive to be the 1st boot option. I put the Recovery CD 1 into the drive (because that's all I have are the 2 recovery CDs) and restarted computer.

I didn't get the message"Press any key to Boot from CD.." , so I didn't get to Windows Setup and get to press the R for Recovery Console and therefore didn't get to copy that NTDLR file.

The CD just was automatically loading and it showed something about Loading RAMDISK (I think) image. Then it went to the Recovery and again it got to about 50% and said "Restore failed! Reason code 0xf0000005"

I'm not sure what that means. If I try the recovery from the Alt-F10, it only gets to like 37 or 38% and gives me Reason code: Oxf0000006. But, every time I'm trying to do the recovery, it gets to the same Source and Current File no matter what % it got to...and those are:

Source: 90EA5110.035
Current File: ehome\Positioning16x9.wmv

I understand that the hard drive may just be bad mechanically or something, but if I got a new hard drive, would I be able to install the Windows XP Media Center Edition using my Recovery disks? Or, would I have to find someone that actually has the Windows XP Media Center Edition and install it on there (I do have the Key Code sticker thingy on the bottom)?

I just don't know what to do because I'm worried I wouldn't even be able to install Windows on it.

more_horiz
If I get a new hard drive will I be able to use the recovery by Alt-F10 or the recovery disks to reinstall the Windows XP Media Center Edition?

more_horiz
I'm not sure if it will help, but if replacing the hard drive helps then it's a hardware fault which is only 10% likely where the IDE cables are faulty. Do you have another XP disc perhaps you can get from a friend?

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
I'm not sure if it will help, but if replacing the hard drive helps then it's a hardware fault which is only 10% likely where the IDE cables are faulty. Do you have another XP disc perhaps you can get from a friend?

Oh, so you're saying it is more than likely bad IDE cables instead of the hard drive or vice versa? I don't want to invest in a new hard drive if that's not going to solve my problem unless it's a really good deal on a bigger one or something.

How am I to know which it is...HDD or IDE cables? What can be done about faulty IDE cables?

I'll have to check around and see if any of my family or friends has a regular XP disc because all I have is the Dell version of Windows XP Professional SP2 and the Acer recovery disks.

I really appreciate your working with me on this...and your patience. I'm about to go crazy without my laptop!!!

more_horiz
Your hard drive might have some bad sectors, or possibly even failing. Changing your had disk is the only solution I can think of.

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
Your hard drive might have some bad sectors, or possibly even failing. Changing your had disk is the only solution I can think of.

When I get a new hard drive, I'll let you know how it goes.

more_horiz
Will this hard drive work for my laptop? I'm confused about all the SATA, PATA, ATA, IDE, stuff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148073

I'll shop around and see what the best prices are....but this one seems like a decent price to me....if it is compatible with my laptop.

I actually found the same thing on Buy.com for $62.99. Just hoping this will work in my laptop.

Last edited by LadySmith on 16th April 2009, 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : found a cheaper price)

more_horiz
LadySmith wrote:
Will this hard drive work for my laptop? I'm confused about all the SATA, PATA, ATA, IDE, stuff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148073

I'll shop around and see what the best prices are....but this one seems like a decent price to me....if it is compatible with my laptop.

I actually found the same thing on Buy.com for $62.99. Just hoping this will work in my laptop.

OK, I ordered the above hard drive (hope it works for my laptop...if not, I can return it so please let me know).

But, I do have a question...am I supposed to format the new hard drive in any way or make a partition in it or anything?

I would like to have a small partition with the recovery console on it if possible.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance!

more_horiz
No need to format, just place it in the laptop and run you recovery disc. If you want to partition you need to get another software which doesn't come cheap.

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
No need to format, just place it in the laptop and run you recovery disc. If you want to partition you need to get another software which doesn't come cheap.

Thanks. Will that hard drive work in my laptop? I'll let you know when I get it and get it installed and OS on there...hopefully it will be running again. (Can't wait to use my new RAM that I previously got either!)

more_horiz
OK, got the new hard drive today. It will work for my laptop because it is the same thing that was in it (Seagate Momentus) except this one is 160GB vs the 80GB that was in it.

I tried to use the Acer Recovery Disk 1 and got the same darn thing! The restore failed Reason code: 0x0000005. Then when it restarts, it says the NTLDR is missing press any key to restart.

UGH!!!! I don't know what to do!!!

Now, I took the new RAM out, put the old one back in and gonna try it.

I'm absolutely stumped on this!

more_horiz
There most probably is a fault with the recovery disk.

more_horiz
I guess that's the case. The CDs aren't scratched up or anything. I made them right when the laptop was brand new and immediately put them in their jewel cases.

I guess I should have made more than one copy.

I'm gonna check around with friends and family and see if they have Windows XP Media Center Edition CD that I can use (I do have the key code sticker on the bottom of laptop).

If no one has one, I don't know what else to do other than take it to a computer repair place, which was what I was trying to prevent in the first place.

more_horiz
I can't find a Windows XP Media Center Edition CD from anyone. Every one I know either has only their recovery disk, a OS install disk like Dell or something (like I have for my desktop) or they have nothing at all.

I did take the new RAM out and put the old back in and tried the recovery and still the same thing.

Ugh! I don't know what to do!

more_horiz
I just wanted to update...

I never could find anyone with a Windows XP Media Center Edition CD. So, I ended up taking my laptop to a local computer shop since my recovery partition nor my recovery disks weren't working.

They wanted me to bring it with the original hard drive and RAM in it so they could test it.

They called me in a day or two and told me that indeed the hard drive was bad and wanted me to bring the new hard drive and RAM I had bought.

I picked it up today. They had installed the new hard drive and RAM, installed Windows on it, did all the updates, flash players and such, put anti-virus on it and only charged me $42.

So far, so good. I do have a new question regarding the RAM, but I'll post a new topic.

Thanks everyone for your input in trying to help me with this issue.

T

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum