WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionFormat (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q EmptyFormat (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q

more_horiz
My flash drive was infected with Win 32.Virut.Q. I tried to format it on some computer but I was unable to do it because the virus started to spread the very second I plugged the flash into the computer and since it was working, I got the message informing me that some other program was using the flash and that it couldn't be formatted. It seems that the only thing I can do is to toss my flash and buy another one. Is there any solution to this problem? I tried to format it from DOS but DOS doesn't recognize flash USB drive. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

descriptionFormat (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q EmptyRe: Format (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q

more_horiz
Hello.
Before we do anything, are you willing to format your machine too? without backing up any EXE or SCR files? or any zip files containing EXE/SCR files?

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Format (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q DXwU4
Format (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q VvYDg

descriptionFormat (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q EmptyRe: Format (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q

more_horiz
My flash wasn't infected on my computer. My computer works fine and I have no problems with it whatsoever (I have Zone Alarm Security Suite installed on it). I was helping my friend whose computer had been infected with the virus (I used my flash to give him some files). My flash was plugged into his computer for half an hour or so. But, after that, I didn't plug the flash into my computer because I suspected that it was infected with this virus.

more_horiz
Well don't plug the flash drive into your machine, we HAVE to use your friends machine to sacrifice. Virut is a file infector, there's nothing anyone can do against Virut.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
OK. Please tell me what to do...

more_horiz
I need to know what OS they are using first.
We are gonna use Combofix, but if this machine is Vista, we have to run Combofix a certain way. 😉

more_horiz
No, he is using XP SP2 or SP3 (I am not sure, but I will check it out and let you know)

more_horiz
Okay, before you run this tool, please close down all protection programs, right click their icon in the tray and exit them.
Please make sure your stick is plugged in while you run this.

• Download combofix from here combofix.exe
  • Please disable your local AV (Anti-virus) by right clicking it's icon in the tray, and exit it. See HERE for how to disable your AV.
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe.
  • Follow the prompts. NOTE:
  • ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed.
    ***It's strongly recommended to have the Recovery Console installed before doing any malware removal.***

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will automatically proceed with its scan.

• The Recovery Console provides a recovery/repair mode should a problem occur during a Combofix run.

Format (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q Rcauto10

• Allow ComboFix to download the Recovery Console.
  • Accept the End-User License Agreement.
  • The Recovery Console will be installed.
  • You will then get this next prompt that asks if you want to continue the malware scan, select yes

Format (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q Whatne10

• Allow combofix to run
  • Post C:\combofix.txt back here.

Note:
    Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

more_horiz
Thank you. I will try it. Could you please explain: "Post C:\combofix.txt back here."? Where should I place combofix.txt?

more_horiz
The report is a notepad file, so just open it and the report inside.
Copy and paste the report back here.

more_horiz
OK. I will. Thanks for everything.

more_horiz
Since this issue has been addressed, a "solved" tag will be added and this topic will be closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else, please open a new topic for your questions.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Format (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
Since this issue has been addressed, a "solved" tag will be added and this topic will be closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else, please open a new topic for your questions.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Format (erase) USB flash drive infected with Win32.Virut.Q Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum