WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionManually assigning ip addresses to devices on my home network... EmptyManually assigning ip addresses to devices on my home network...

more_horiz
heres the setup:
Belkin Wireless N Router F5D8236-4 Stock Firmware
Linksys Wrt54G Wireless B+G Router DD-WRT Firmware
Xbox 360
Desktop
2 Laptops
Wii

The Linksys is acting as a client bridge (so it can save me 200+ft of cable going upstairs). Everything works fine using the stock DHCP on the Belkin...but i'd like to use a manual ip assigning system. The Xbox 360...i have tried with manually assigning the ip and i either get a NAT type Strict Failure...

I would like i said like to use the manual ip assigning just because it would be easier for me to know the ip for if a visitor comes to my house and i am streaming a movie.

descriptionManually assigning ip addresses to devices on my home network... EmptyRe: Manually assigning ip addresses to devices on my home network...

more_horiz
You would need to disable DHCP on the Belkin and then manually assign each device on the network (through windows) a static IP address!

Firstly you need to find the current IP information of your devices as subnets and default gateway information must remain the same.

To find out what you current IP address information is, you can follow these steps:

1. Open a command prompt
2. Type ipconfig /all in the command prompt console and press Enter
4. The results displayed will tell you the device's current IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway as well as the current DNS Servers among other things.

To reconfigure the IP address settings of a device in Windows, follow these steps:

1. Click Start followed by Control Panel
2. Click Network Connections
3. Locate the device you want to configure
4. Right-click it and select Properties
5. Under the this connection uses the following items: window, scroll to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)] entry and click on the Properties button.
6. Select the radio button next to use the following IP address and enter the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway of your choosing (use the information extracted above as a reference)
7. Select the radio button next to use the following DNS server addresses and enter the DNS server IP addresses from the information extracted above.

Because the belkin is wireless, i would do away with any bridging and set up a wireless LAN instead which you could connect the x-box too quite easily.
I would still utilize DHCP but having the LAN WEP secured gives you the opportunity to allow only those with your authority access to your network.

Once they are on, your DHCP server (belkin router) issue's the device a dynamic IP which is easily accessible from the routers configuration setup, accessed from your web browser!

Regards

descriptionManually assigning ip addresses to devices on my home network... EmptyRe: Manually assigning ip addresses to devices on my home network...

more_horiz
Thanks...but prob. 15 minutes after I posted this I finally got the Xbox 360 to stop saying the NAT type Strict issue i was having.

My setup now is like this:
WIRED
1st Floor
Cable Modem>Belkin Router (WPA2 Security)
Desktop (2 LAN Cards installed)
2nd Floor
WIRELESS
Linksys (Client Bridge)
Xbox 360

Wireless / Wired
15.4 inch Laptop
10 inch Laptop

This way I want have a 200 foot RJ-45 cable going through my parents living room just to get to my room.

I am using OpenDNS for my DNS being that it speeds my connection up and improves gaming.

Every thing seems to work fine now.

I have a question about whether theres away to get better coverage on the Linksys WRT54G router (DD-WRT firmware). Right now I am getting around 40-55% signal...it's not that big of a deal but it would be nice if there was a way.

............................................................................................

Thanks in advance and may God continue to bless you!

more_horiz
You could add a wireless repeater or fit your router out with a high-gain antenna!

Other tips:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx

Regards

more_horiz
i assigned the client bridge to a repeater...imma see how that does for a few days....now only if i can get vista to stop giving me the BSOD... i kinda know where it coming from....i think it coming from me trying to do a Bridge Connection.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Great.....let us know how go!

more_horiz
So far pretty good... just one thing is catching my eye in particular. That is the difference is wireless and wired speed, I know they are supposed to be different but how if any way could I increase the speed for my upstairs part of the network.

My Cable Internet Connection down speed 5120 kbps, up speed is 640 kbps. Thats the max I can get with the Cable Company.

URL for Cable Internet Connection: http://www.jetbroadband.com/pages/RustburgResidentialInternet.php

more_horiz
The device's distance from the router, obstacles within the range (ie walls, etc), low gain antenna (I believe that stock antennas are all 3dbi horizontal gain, which translates into a vertical loss), and the bottleneck at the repeater are all causes for 'poor performance' in wireless speeds in your case!

Your already running open DNS you say!

I'm assuming the Belkin is 802.11g?

You could convert your current router antenna/s to 'directionals' by adding reflectors to them.

In very little time at all, some aluminum foil, an old cereal box, a little Elmer's, and your 'omni' antenna is now 'directional'.

You have a couple options to play with to see which works best for you.

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/default.htm

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/default.htm

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/default.htm

Regards

more_horiz
Okay, thanks again. I'll look at the sites here in a little bit. Yes my Belkin is Wireless B + G + N.

more_horiz
Let us know if this helps!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum