WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionDying HDD, possible recovery? EmptyDying HDD, possible recovery?

more_horiz
Hey there everyone. I recently decided to reformat my computer because I was noticing a severe degrade in performance. After reformatting, and failing to install XP multiple times on original 320GB HDD, I had to swap in my Backup Data 160GB HDD, install XP on it, and eventually hook up the failing Original 320GB HDD in as a second drive so I could get some diagnostics and put some zero-writing and formatting programs to work from an XP environment; which is how I found out it was failing. I'm wondering if it's worth trying to salvage. Here's an everest SMART log.

[ Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 (VFB200R2C1S5NA) ]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 16 76 76 46269336 OK: Value is normal
02 Throughput Performance 50 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
03 Spin Up Time 24 108 108 22872409 OK: Value is normal
04 Start/Stop Count 0 100 100 2037 OK: Always passing
05 Reallocated Sector Count 5 15 15 172 OK: Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 67 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
08 Seek Time Performance 20 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
09 Power-On Time Count 0 100 100 4678 OK: Always passing
0A Spin Retry Count 60 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
0C Power Cycle Count 0 100 100 1700 OK: Always passing
C0 Power-Off Retract Count 0 99 99 2117 OK: Always passing
C1 Load/Unload Cycle Count 0 99 99 2117 OK: Always passing
C2 Temperature 0 157 157 13, 38 OK: Always passing
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 100 100 172 OK: Always passing
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 25 25 1459 OK: Always passing
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 253 0 OK: Always passing

Speedfan SMART was the same, w/ 0%fitness, and 94% performance marks. yik.

I just want an opinion as to whether I can use this an OS drive still, or perhaps as my backup data drive instead? and whether I should bother buying and using a program like Readrite, or if anyone has some freeware suggestions for bad sector recovery or whatever :hmm: .
I'm willing to put in work (Gunsmoke) ;if anyone think it's worth it. Id rather not buy a new drive. Money is tight as I'm sure some of you know and feel that pain.

descriptionDying HDD, possible recovery? Emptylittle more info

more_horiz
just to let you guys know I'm running the Failing, original 320gb hard drive with XP right now, as I wrote these two posts, but the boot time is pretty freakin slow, I've gotten a random read error at boot, and putting data on here is scary so I'm not, yet.

descriptionDying HDD, possible recovery? EmptyRe: Dying HDD, possible recovery?

more_horiz
Have you tried running chkdsk /R on XP?

I'd start with a "chkdsk /R" command. (/R: "Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information"). Fire up a Command Prompt to run that command.

You should also try a complete format and fresh write of the NTFS file system to the drive outside the windows enviroment......ie Do this from the boot disc!

Delete all logical partitions intalled and basically return the drive to factory default settings before trying a new windows installation.

If the drive will still not respond, then it seems it may be some sort of mechanical failure within the drive.

Sadly, this spells the end and no amount of software repair options are going to change anything. A new drive is your only option!

Regards

more_horiz
I have done a "long" reformat and installed XP from boot disc onto the "failing" drive successfully. The problem was that the reformat wouldn't work in the first place so I had to start by zeroing it and reformatting with WDDIAG from within XP(not the only way, but my preferred way). I basically reformatted twice(not to mention all the failed attempts). The drive runs Xp half-decent after it finally worked; it just takes forever to boot up XP and has random read/write errors and visible hickups while I'm trying to use my computer. So far only one forced reboot though.

I also remembered that I was foolish and accidentally downloaded the Chernobyl virus(I believe that's what it was) which I never properly got rid of. After that is when the drive really started acting up. Is it possible for a virus to create bad sectors and other problems with a hard drive? Did I get nuked? Running chkdsk, will post again shortly.

Also I'm very grateful for your answers and opinions. Wish I could pitch in and help answer some of the simpler questions people have.

more_horiz
Its not possible for software to 'physicaly' damage hardware no, but it might have been able to corrupt the Mobo's firmware from within, or the drives boot sector.... Is the drive still visible in your comps bios?

You could try 'flashing' your bios with the latest version before attempting another full format?

We always welcome any input that you can give towards helping other members in area's that you feel you are able!

Look forward to seeing what comes up with 'chkdsk'.

Regards

more_horiz
Well, Chkdsk repair found some file errors, fixed some file/sector errors and it took forever. When I finally woke up and checked my computer the post BIOS screen was there telling me that the SMART status of the HD was bad. Booted up, ran speedfan and ran SMART and while other values actually improved a little, my "reallocated sector count" is down to 1. From what I've read this definitely means I need to replace the HDD. So that's what I'm going to do I guess, too bad it costs money. Why can't Hard drives grow on trees? hehe Smile...

Thanks for recommending good ol' Chkdsk /r, it really cleared up the situation for me. Any recommendations for better HDD care other then defrag? I'm not sure if there's much you can do to try and ensure a hard drive will last long but it would be nice if there was. I've only had this one for almost exactly 2 years(in 3 days it will be 2years to the day), which is really not long enough in my opinion. I won't be able to afford that kind of failure if the U.S. economy goes south... Indifferent or Blank

more_horiz
yeah, I hear ya and know what you mean!

About the only advice i could give is from my own experiences.

I've always used Seagate as Internals coupled with a few WD externals and so far none have let me down (about 7 years continuous use 24/7).

No 1.....I keep my drives cool! (always had above standard cooling in all my PC's because of my liking for overclocking)

No 2..... I have never subjected them to physical abuse. ie bumps and knocks from anything like, moving house or changing office setups etc.

No 3..... I always make sure im careful with regards to hardware changes inside my towers. ie static electricity, power states, hot hook ups etc.

Many people might advise that regular defraging is bad for the drive, however i disagree........my drives get defraged monthly for 7 years now and not a problem!

Some drives have been going strong for 10 years or more now!

Good Luck Dude!

Honored

more_horiz
Wow 7 years, that's kind of amazing. Guess I'll just take better physical care of my Hard drives, especially in the area of cooling. That failed hitachi drive(yeeah, not my favorite brand choice either) always ran a little hot. Overclocking with stock cooling seems like a bad idea at this point, which is what I've been doing. Although the e6600 runs so cool, it's hard not to Smile....

Thank You! Take care

more_horiz
Yep.....heat is the biggest killer of hardware!

Cheers

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum