WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

pollVista or XP

Vista
81%
XP
19%
Total Votes:

descriptionVista vs XP EmptyVista vs XP

more_horiz
That Stinks
This is one of the first of the ‘100 Reasons you’ll be speechless’. It did that alright because, fresh out of the box, Vista Business took many minutes to reveal its full glory, the long periods of darkness relieved occasionally by the mouse pointer appearing with the circle spinning like a top.

About performance, the 100 reasons list says this: ‘New technology in Windows Vista makes your PC significantly more responsive while you are performing everyday tasks. Improved start-up and sleep behavior helps both desktop and mobile PCs get up and running more quickly ...’

Don’t believe a word of it - Vista runs many more services than XP and uses far more resources as it looks after itself. That’s no surprise, since new Windows releases have always been heftier than previous versions, and Microsoft’s architects have always relied on Intel to restore performance. Put another way, ‘whatever Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away.’

XPpwnsVista

Vista’s advantages over XP are largely cosmetic, despite what Microsoft says, while some of its drawbacks are very real. For a light-hearted take on this comparison, check this story which uses reality inversion to great effect by introducing XP as the successor to Vista and going on and on about the many improvements XP introduces.

Bottom Line: If you have a well-working XP set-up on your PC, keep it. There’s little you can achieve with Vista that you can’t do faster with XP. If you run professional graphics applications, the lack of support for the OpenGL graphics library under Windows Vista is an extra handicap. The same applies to CPU-intensive applications like video transcoding, where Vista lags a long way behind XP.

The old XP theme doesn’t look too bad if you change the blue borders for silver ones (Control Panel>Display>Themes) and replace the green lawn with a pretty picture (right-click on picture>set as desktop background). If you’re still hankering after Vista’s eye-candy, there’s plenty of it and it’s mostly free.

Vista Style is a popular choice. Vista transformation pack is another. Be warned that some of these transformations can have unintended effects on system stability.

If you still have your heart set on Vista, the best way to avoid the steep upgrade price is to buy it with a new PC. My Vista Business edition came with a bargain Acer Aspire laptop I bought on sale (twin AMD Turion cpus, 1gb of RAM, nVidia go 6100 graphics).

The final insult for this user who bought a brand-new laptop with Vista Business installed is this piece of advice: ‘If your PC is rated lower than 2 or 3 [on the Vista Experience Scale], it might be time to consider a new PC ...’

Well, sometimes a good way to tune up your pwnt Vista computer might be by these few
1)Getting rid of excess baggage
2)Stop auto-start applications
3)Vista’s Ready Boost feature[reported 13% improvement(for 1gb=>2gb USB flash memory stick)]
4)Serious Tweaks for Serious Types
5)Keeping the Edge

............................................................................................

Vista vs XP Firenamecopytt4.th

descriptionVista vs XP EmptyRe: Vista vs XP

more_horiz
Vista runs many more services than XP and uses far more resources as it looks after itself. That’s no surprise, since new Windows releases have always been heftier than previous versions, and Microsoft’s architects have always relied on Intel to restore performance. Put another way, ‘whatever Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away.’

How do you know this?

If you run professional graphics applications, the lack of support for the OpenGL graphics library under Windows Vista is an extra handicap.

I didn't know that. But you forgot to add that only Vista supports DirectX10, which is a good thing.

............................................................................................

Vista vs XP Segmen10

FunSubstance is the place to go for daily entertainment.

more_horiz
Vista is a whole lot better than XP, if you are a average computer user, of course you won't find any difference.

Vista has so far sold more than 180 million Vista licenses. Same thing happened for XP when it first came out, everybody remain using windows 98 and 2000. Well, it's just happening for Vista again.

No doubt it will happen again for the upcoming Windows 7.

Ask any geek, they'd say Vista is better than XP. Awesome (sparkly)

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Vista vs XP Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
Wow 180 million licenses, that good

Vista vs XP L20flloxphl70hr41o7o
sig made by agent cosmic.

more_horiz
ive heard this myth that if u run windows xp (any ver) on a computer built for windows vista it will run uber fast?

more_horiz
Basically, opinion of other people

--------
XP
--------
Pros:
Less drivers issue
Rare blue screen of death

Cons:
No enhanced features that is featured in vista

--------
Vista
--------
Pros:
Enhanced security
Enhanced features (Window movie maker)
Beautiful look
Direct X10 (+higher fps)

Cons:
Frequent blue screen of death.
Window defender could not detect any error after blue screen of death.
Ram consuming

The debate

In my conclusion, Vista still need time to mature and XP have aready reached a very stable stage due to the long run. Overall, even for gaming, u dont need 100+ fps for any first person shooter, 80-90 is more than enough for the current games.(our eye only can see to a maximum of 25frame per sec)Overall, window xp still the best gaming solution currently with low ram comsumption and less driver errors.

Window xp is my choice!

more_horiz
PCs these days usually come with at least 2GB of RAM, and my Vista Ultimate memory consumption seldom goes beyond 45%. Vista also has a ability of keeping the memory to allocate it to softwares only when needed.

Check this out too, it's known as the Mojave experiment when users are told that they are using Windows 7 and they actually said it's good when they are actually using Vista.

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

But overall, XP is still a great leap from Windows 98. But I prefer Vista. Honored

~let the debate continue......

Vista vs XP Lambo-11

more_horiz
AuroraRange wrote:

I thought that was a long time ago?

Vista vs XP Segmen10

more_horiz
I would say so too. After SP1 I think it's less frequent.

Vista vs XP Lambo-11

more_horiz
Agent Cosmic wrote:
AuroraRange wrote:

I thought that was a long time ago?

Like i said, vista is maturing. hope it will work out well like xp after bug fixes in service packs. although the sp1 is introduced, afew blue screen of death is still inevitable. Too early to decide which OS prove to be better.

Vista vs XP MysigROG365x140withmark

more_horiz
Vista is winning in the poll, cool

RAW!!

more_horiz
Blue screen of death is inevitable, can't really judge by that.

Vista vs XP Segmen10

more_horiz
Combat arms support window xp! Goofy
Vista vs XP Combat10

Vista vs XP MysigROG365x140withmark

more_horiz
If you have good system specs, of course vista is better.

i use both and prefer vista.

more_horiz
AuroraRange wrote:
Combat arms support window xp! Goofy
Vista vs XP Combat10
aurora, lols of course! its supposed to support xp > vista cos more still use xp now tho

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum