WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionIssues with wireless security EmptyIssues with wireless security

more_horiz
Hello all,

I'm trying to make my modem more secure(Wireless wise). I'm having trouble setting the level of security(Example: WEP-Open, etc..). I'm also trying to input a new network password & it's saying:

The custom pass phrase entered is not valid for the selected encryption type. WEP encryption requires either 10 hexadecimal characters or 5 ASCII characters to enable 64-bit encryption and 26 hexadecimal characters or 13 ASCII characters to enable 128-bit encryption.TKIP (WPA-PSK) & AES-CCMP (WPA2-PSK) require either 64 hexadecimal characters or an ASCII “pass phrase” between 8 and 63 alphanumeric characters.
The DTIM Period you have entered is invalid.
An unknown error has occurred.

I have a 2wire modem & I use it to connect 3 computers to the internet via wireless connection. Plus, It's one of those modems you get when you sign-up for AT&T.

Also, I'm wondering witch is more secure...

WEP-Open

WEP-Shared

WPA-PSK

WPA-PSK & WPA2-PSK

WPA2-PSK

Thank You!

Last edited by 11PM on 9th September 2008, 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

descriptionIssues with wireless security EmptyRe: Issues with wireless security

more_horiz
This tutorial will help you. Take special note of lesson 2, which explains the use of disabling SSID broadcast. Using a WEP key only is not enough and is very easy to hack. I can do hack it with 2 eyes close! So you know how unsecure it is.

You can also take a look at this WEP key generator and choose how many bit you want, since you router requires either a 10 hexadecimal characters or 5 ASCII characters to enable 64-bit encryption and 26 hexadecimal characters or 13 ASCII characters to enable 128-bit encryption.

Good Luck! Honored

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Issues with wireless security Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
But if I disable SSID, I won't be able to connect computers via Wireless connection, right?

EDIT: When I have a 128-bit code, what encryption is the BEST to use out of the ones I listed..?

more_horiz
You have to establish a connection between your computer and the router before disabling the SSID broadcast.

Using the 128-bit encryption is probably enough.

Oh yeah, one more thing I just recalled, you should also use the Media Access Control (MAC) filtering. It lets you create a select list of devices that can access your LAN. While not bulletproof — hackers have been known to crack it — MAC address filtering is a good Wi-Fi security feature that you should implement.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Issues with wireless security Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
Okay thanks. Right On!

more_horiz
11PM wrote:
But if I disable SSID, I won't be able to connect computers via Wireless connection, right?

There is an option in network settings that needs the box checked, 'Connect even when not broadcasting'

more_horiz
I got everything worked out... Even the SSID problem. Big Grin

But thanks! Goofy

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum