The answer appears to be: slowly, if at all

(Computerworld) Techies appear to be flocking to Google Chrome, which may lead many consumers and small businesses to follow.

But will enterprises also take to Chrome? After all, they remain stubbornly loyal to Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer despite Mozilla Firefox's growing popularity.

The answer appears to be: slowly, if at all. While developers may enthuse over Chrome's clean look and fast rendering of Web pages, they will chafe at the additional grunt work needed to rewrite and test to support Chrome.

"The only thing that would make me want to test on Chrome is if the client wants it or if Chrome gets significant market share," said Greg Raiz, a Web developer and owner of Raizlabs, a Brookline, Mass., custom software maker. "Honestly, it's a business thing."

An even bigger obstacle are IT managers and CIOs, for whom raw browser performance is only one of many factors to consider.

"I'd have to make sure Chrome worked well with all of our other apps. What is the business value in that?" said Robert Fort, CIO at Virgin Entertainment Group Inc. The Los Angeles retailer is standardized on IE 7 and other Microsoft software, while all of Fort's developers work in Microsoft's .Net.

"I give Google all the credit in the world for innovative solutions ... but to Microsoft's credit, they've got a lot more of an enterprise attitude," Fort said.

He also worries about the employee retraining and application testing that would be required if Virgin started officially supporting Chrome...............

More: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9114063&source=NLT_WK&nlid=2

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Will enterprise IT dump Internet Explorer for Google Chrome? Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.