How to Disable Installing Classic Desktop Programs in Windows 10

In Windows 10 Creators Update there is a new option in Settings app to help users prevent installing apps outside the Windows 10 Store.

How to Disable Installing Classic Desktop Programs in Windows 10 DPTXDrv

It’s a great feature and will certainly step up the security on your Windows 10 PC. The feature, when enabled, stops junkware and malicious software installation on your PC without your knowledge.

In Windows 10 navigate to Settings > Apps > Apps & features, you can see app installing options. Here, you can choose from the following three options:

# Allow apps from anywhere

# Warn me before installing apps from outside the Store

# Allow apps from the Store only

How to Disable Installing Classic Desktop Programs in Windows 10 UDZy5im

First option (Allow apps from anywhere) is selected by default which means you can install any Windows 10 compatible software from the Internet.

If you select Warn me before installing apps from outside the Store option, Windows 10 will warn you when you attempt to install a program downloaded from the web. You can click Install anyway button to install the software.

If you choose Allow apps from the Store only option, Windows 10 will not allow installing software downloaded outside the official Windows Store.

I recommend you keep Warn me before installing apps from outside the Store option selected to avoid unwanted and malicious software getting installed on your PC.