WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionPC not running as well as it used to EmptyPC not running as well as it used to

more_horiz
Hi

I have an ASUS PC about two years old, I have two games I play, Microsoft Train Simulator and Train Simulator 2014, neither is online.

About 6 months ago the both ran well with FPS in the region of 30 - 50 depending on the density of scenery etc, recently I stuffed up the registry and
the PC would not reboot so I ran a Refresh Install and reloaded the games.

No I am getting very FPS, around 12 - 17, both games have always been set to max quality with all setting being identical to before the refresh install.

I have no idea what is wrong, what to test or how to fix it, hopefully I can get some guidance here.

I have run all the Malware tests from the Malware Forum and Kaspersky 10 Boot Disk Virus disk
and the system is shown to be clean.

These are my system specs.

PC
ASUSTeK Computer INC. CM6630_CM6730_CM6830

Windows 8 Professional (x64) (build 9200)
Install Language: English (United Kingdom)
System Locale: English (Australia)
Installed: 24/04/2014 10:41:22

CPU
3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3450
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Drives
5500.98 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
2861.57 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI BD E DH12E3SH ATA Device [Optical drive]

Generic- Multi-Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Seagate GoFlex Desk USB Device [Hard drive] (1500.30 GB) -- drive 1, s/n NA0MERQC
ST2000DL003-9VT166 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5YD6G1YJ, rev CC3C, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD20 EARS-00MVWB0 USB Device [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 3, s/n FDC0FD20EA00000FD0FCAFA1584189, SMART Status: Healthy

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 [Display adapter]
ASUS VS228 [Monitor] (21.7"vis, s/n D4LMQS043596, April 2013)

The BIOS is set to use the GPU and not Integrated Graphics

All ideas welcome

Thanks

savey

descriptionPC not running as well as it used to EmptyRe: PC not running as well as it used to

more_horiz
Start with diagnostics and go from there:

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW
Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
At the top of the search box, right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as adminstrator"
In the black window that opens, type "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Let the program run and post back what it says when it's done.

CHKDSK /R /F:
Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated (Run as adminstrator) Command Prompt. Please do this for each hard drive on your system.
FWIW - I know that the /F is supposed to be redundant, but I prefer to have it run anyway.
When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter. Then reboot and let the test run. It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors. See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file. If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back. Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

descriptionPC not running as well as it used to EmptyRe: PC not running as well as it used to

more_horiz
Make sure to defragment the hard disk drive!
V-Sync (Vertical Synchronisation) is a feature you can switch on in an individual game to limit its framerate so that it doesn’t exceed your monitor’s refresh rate. Most standard monitors have a refresh rate of 60 hz or 75 hz (check this by going to the Display section of AMD Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia Control Panel). If you have a game that’s running at a much higher frame-rate than your monitor’s refresh rate, then the graphics card sends frames too fast for the monitor to respond, causing tearing.

If you’re suffering from this badly, then turn V-Sync on. Plenty of gamers – particularly those into online shooters – are happy to suffer the occasional screen tear and leave v-sync off because it causes slight input lag on the mouse. While this is barely noticeable in most cases, in the realm of online shooters in can cost you your life. V-Sync also limits your frame-rate to factors of your monitor’s refresh rate, so if your frame-rate is 57 fps and your monitor refresh rate is 60 hz, then v-sync will knock your frame-rate down to 30 fps. For that reason, it’s best to leave v-sync off unless you get noticeable tearing.

For example, enabling anti-aliasing within some games can cause the framerate to slow down drastically, while using one of the anti-aliasing methods in AMD Catalyst works much more effectively.

............................................................................................

FreeBooter
PC not running as well as it used to 1363

Co-Administrator

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum