WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionHad Rogue Malware. Can PC be saved? EmptyHad Rogue Malware. Can PC be saved?

more_horiz
Hi Guys and Gals, Newbie here and not real tech savy so bear with me. Heard about your site a few years ago because you were able to save a buddies computer.
So heres what I got and what happened. Dell Dimension E521, Windows XP, Norton 360?. Got a rogue Malware Window defence. It would pop window to download this fix and you couldn't do anything with computer. It was a new bug at the time and the local computer shops had never heard of it but gave some suggestions. So between Malwarebytes and another free program we were finally able to get rid of it, we think. We could now use the computer again but is really, really slow. Because of this we ended up buying a new computer because it was needed for school homework.
I would like to resurrect this computer if possible. I have the start up discs. Is it better to fix the bug or completely wipe out operating system and start over? Or just forget it and buy a new desktop?
There are a lot of pictures on there we would like to recover if possible either way.
What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance.

descriptionHad Rogue Malware. Can PC be saved? EmptyRe: Had Rogue Malware. Can PC be saved?

more_horiz
Hi, lets see what this program show.

Download OTL by OldTimer to your Desktop.

• Close all windows and double click OTL.exe
  • Click Run Scan and let the program run uninterrupted.
  • Under Extra Registry, select Use Safelist if it isn't already selected.
  • It will produce two logs for you, one will pop up - OTL.txt, the other will be saved on your Desktop - Extras.txt. Post both logs in this thread.
  • Please attach both logs.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Had Rogue Malware. Can PC be saved? DXwU4
Had Rogue Malware. Can PC be saved? VvYDg

descriptionHad Rogue Malware. Can PC be saved? EmptyRe: Had Rogue Malware. Can PC be saved?

more_horiz
Well that didn't go so well. Haven't had computer turned on for about 2 yrs. It fired up initially, very slowly of course. Wouldn't let me connect to internet. I was trying to copy diagnostic screen to my documents so I could put on CD and transfer to my other computer to paste on here when system powered off by itself. Will not power up now, power light comes on , fan is running, monitor says no signal. Sigh.

more_horiz
Hello.
Are you able to boot off a CD, or boot safe mode at all? or is the "no signal" sign appears as soon as you turn it on?

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Yes "no signal" as soon as I turn it on. I didn't think of safe mode till I went to bed. Refresh my memory, safe mode is holding esc on start up? By CD do you mean start up disc? I did not try start up disc.

more_horiz
Yeah CD is a disc.

Safe Mode can be accessed by repeated tapping F8 during boot up to access the advanced boot screen.

If there's no signal as even while it's booting, it could be GPU failure? or if it's a full desktop monitor, do you have the correct input device selected?

more_horiz
I tried the safe mode with F8 tapping and also esc button and still got the "no signal". I didn't try the start up disc yet, didn't have time. I haven't changed any input device selected, unless the computor did it on it's own. It's a regular desktop computor. I probably won't have time to mess with it for the next day or so.

more_horiz
I would try swap tests.

How is the desktop connected to the monitor? RGB? try changing the RBG cable, try a different monitor, then as a last resort, a new graphics card, yours could of failed.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum