WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionRealtek HD Audio Card Not installed - sometimes. EmptyRealtek HD Audio Card Not installed - sometimes.

more_horiz
Hello,

My computer is an Acer 4520, Windows Vista with Realtek HD Sound Card.
I have a strange problem.
My sound card would occasionally would show a big red X on the taskbar. When I click on it, it says I didn't have one installed and going to the Control Panel Hardware Devices it doesn't show up. Then the next time (or couple times) later I would start my computer it would show up. Now, I have gone longer, even a month with out it showing then suddenly it's there working fine.

I have tried to update the driver (when it is working) and it says there are no new updates.
I did find the driver for it and re-installed it at one point, nothing changed.

This last time it happened I didn't see if for a couple months, so I assumed it died. Well, today it's working again?

So, am I really losing it or is there something else going on?

descriptionRealtek HD Audio Card Not installed - sometimes. EmptyRe: Realtek HD Audio Card Not installed - sometimes.

more_horiz
This appears to be what we technicians call a intermediate failure. The sound is in fact dying, but it has not just failed completely. A Complete failure is called a catastrophic failure. You device may have this kind of failure soon. If you are within warranty, I would suggest either having your system serviced or replaced.

If outside the warranty I can recommend both, however in most cases, it will be cheaper to replace than to service.

descriptionRealtek HD Audio Card Not installed - sometimes. EmptyRe: Realtek HD Audio Card Not installed - sometimes.

more_horiz
OK, Thank you ImaBrokeDude!

I am out of warranty. Pretty scary for me to think about getting into my laptop. Is that hard?

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum