WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptioncracked screen, need external monitor guidance Emptycracked screen, need external monitor guidance

more_horiz
my daughter dropped her laptop this weekend. The screen is now cracked and completely unreadable. I need to try to activate an external monitor but am having no luck with other avenues. The computer is an HP Pavilion G6, running Windows 8. It is password protected. I understand I need to boot the computer, wait til windows is running and enter the password. After that I have tried to activate the external monitor function by hitting the F4 key, the Function/F4 combo and I have also been aware that there may be a menu I cannot see... At this point I have not been able to get the external monitor to pick up... Can anyone help? Much appreciated. I simply need to know if she damaged the entire laptop and it's toast, or if I can replace the screen....

Thanks!
Stacey

descriptioncracked screen, need external monitor guidance EmptyRe: cracked screen, need external monitor guidance

more_horiz
Hey there, on HP systems, the BIOS should occupy both screens on start-up, this will let you know if the output is working properly as it is part of the POST (Power On Self Test).

Once windows has booted (assuming you can tell) Hold FN then press F4 four times then release FN, this show tell windows to turn off the build in display and only display on the external monitor.

descriptioncracked screen, need external monitor guidance EmptyRe: cracked screen, need external monitor guidance

more_horiz
Thanks for the attempt... Pretty sure it's toast. No sounds, no external monitor, shuts itself off.... All very bad signs. I appreciate the attempt.

more_horiz
One other alternative is Win + P.

Assuming the system is capable of doing so, this key combination is used by windows to project to a second screen as well.

On the other hand, you may be right, it might never make it to windows because POST failed. This could explain why it may shut itself down.

I'm sorry to hear that your device has failed.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum