WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionCannot run .exes and they disappear into thin air EmptyCannot run .exes and they disappear into thin air

more_horiz
I've tried to download a few games lately, primarily Zenith and Charles Barkley: Shut Up and Jam and with both files after I double click the .exe to install it shows up for a second before going away and taking the .exe with it to who knows where. I've tried running the files with AVG and Comodo anti-virus on and off, neither making any change whatsoever.

descriptionCannot run .exes and they disappear into thin air EmptyRe: Cannot run .exes and they disappear into thin air

more_horiz
Perpleks
The download, is it getting completed or its interrupted?
What browser you are experiencing this?
Have you tried with a different browser like chrome or firefox?
http://www.whatbrowser.org/en/browser/

descriptionCannot run .exes and they disappear into thin air EmptyRe: Cannot run .exes and they disappear into thin air

more_horiz
The problem isn't during mid download, it's after completion. I'm using a chrome derivative but I'll try it on firefox now and post the results here. The file doesn't disappear until I double click it in windows, however

more_horiz
Same problem as before after downloading through firefox, and also the exact same thing happens if I try to run as admin.

more_horiz
Try to download the file to the desktop and Check.

more_horiz
Still no good. Does the exact same thing as before

more_horiz
Open Firefox --> on the address bar type about:config --> among the entries search for browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone --> Double click on that entry, the value will change from true to false --> Restart firefox and then try to download the file again.

more_horiz
Same as it ever was, as soon as I run the application after extracting, it starts to pull up and the just stops working immediately.

more_horiz
Turn-Off the AVG protection for a while (do this if you are sure the file you are downloading is safe) and then download and run the file. Also, provide us the file name of the file you are trying to download.

Last edited by NightFury12 on 21st August 2012, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Still nothing. I'm trying to run zineth.exe from http://arcanekids.com/

more_horiz
Remove the file avgoff2k.dll from this location :
"C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG(Version)\avgoff2k.dll"
for 64bit Operating System:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG(Version)\avgoff2k.dll")
and check the download again.

more_horiz
I haven't got a file named "avgoff2k.dll", I ran a search and it didn't come up and I can't see it in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012"

more_horiz
It looks like its a known issue with AVG(got the info from their forums), as I can see the zenith file is a ZIP file and once you extract it, it is getting removed. SO Disconnect from the Internet --> Remove AVG from Control panel --> Programs and features.
Restart the Computer --> Extract the file from the zip file and try to run it.

more_horiz
Alright, I'll update here in just a minute

more_horiz
As you've mentioned you are running two AV's AVG and Comodo, running more than one AV can cause a lot of problems and pave the way for infections to get in easily. Choose between one of those two.

more_horiz
Even after deleting AVG it still has the issue, perhaps it has something to do with running Comodo?
Now that I've gotten rid of AVG I've only got the one, decision was made for me.

more_horiz
Is Comodo a Free version or a purchased product?

more_horiz
Free version, as was AVG

more_horiz
As both are free versions, you can install them back again from the Internet.

Create a New Administrator account and check the Download once again.

Let me confirm one more time: The zineth.zip is downloaded without issues and it is not getting removed. Once you extract the .exe inside it --> that file is getting removed, correct?

more_horiz
I wasn't worried about getting them back, was just saying I'm not really worried about making a choice I'll stick with Comodo.

The problem isn't during the extraction, I extract the file and one I try running the .exe the file activates for around 2 seconds before stopping running, and then being removed.

more_horiz
Thanks for the summary...Have you tried creating a New Account and checked the Download?

more_horiz
Just created the account, about to try it out

more_horiz
Whats the status?

more_horiz
It failed to run the .exe, but it didn't disappear this time. I'll try running the .exe as admin this time

more_horiz
Still no luck, but also still didn't get removed

more_horiz
Download the Zip file again and check.

Download Comodo and do a over install on your Computer:
http://antivirus.comodo.com/internet-security-for-home.php

See if you can download the Comodo from the above link.

more_horiz
I was able to download the new comodo, and everything there went smoothly. I tried running Zineth again and that didn't run, but the exe didn't get removed this time.

more_horiz
Run the AVG Remover(x64) from here: http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities

Restart the computer--> tap the F8 continuously --> in the Advanced Boot menu options select safe mode--> Hit enter --> Once you are logged in try to extract the file once again from the zineth.zip file and then try to Run it.

more_horiz
Ran the remover, still nothing doing. Didn't work in safe mode either

more_horiz
Download Google Chrome and then try to download the zip file once again and check.

more_horiz
Try to download the zip file from here: http://sdrv.ms/PEiIIK

more_horiz
Trying the download now

more_horiz
Same as it ever was

more_horiz
Open Comodo --> click on View Antivirus Events --> Check the entries and see if you can find any entry related to the removal of the zenith.exe

more_horiz
Found it, last quarantine was 8/21/2012

more_horiz
But that was two days ago, and I still can't run it

more_horiz
Malware name "TrojWare.Win32.Game"Thief.Magania.~YB@225330048

more_horiz
GameThief* not Game"Thief

more_horiz
Perpleks,
Before proceeding further, start a thread in the Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal: http://www.GeekPolice.net/f11-virus-spyware-malware-removal
Request their assistance regarding this infection, I'm not trained in Malware Removals and infections.
I would say if the AV says that the file is malicious I'll stay away from that file.

more_horiz
Mmkay, I'll go check there, but it also says there's this file "redblade" and in fact it is the virus on every quarantine since August 12th

more_horiz
You had two AV's AVG and Comodo, having more than AV running in a computer can cause some terrible things like making it easier for an infection to get in.
We came to know that this file is an infection according to Comodo. So I directed you to the experts to get a clean system health certificate, to make sure nothing else is lurking in the background. Better safe than sorry.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum