WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionTrouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus EmptyTrouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus

more_horiz
Hello all, I've searched the site and not found this exact form of trojan mentioned. I ran my AV software (it runs automatically and deep scans everyday, updates virus definitions all day long) and 2 days ago, my results came back with a virus as listed in the title line. The 'risks' or files infected or affected were not something I needed on my computer so after they were quarantined, I went into quanrantine and deleted them. I didn't re-start the computer after that - so not sure if that is why I still have the trouble - on my scan results this morning I have 2 more threats (2 'files' infected) however, they are listed in files that don't exist that I can find (I did a search) for the exact folder the report said they were in - and found no such folder. My question to you is this - they are supposedly located on an external HD I have attached as my main 'back up' / storage place and they are supposedly in a file called G:\System Volume Information\_restore........ and then a long string of characters consisting of mixed letters, symbols and numbers. There are 2 files, almost identical except for the last 2 characters before the file extension - which of course is a .exe file.

So - my worry is if I delete these two files, will I disable my external drive and/or cause it to be inactive or not accessible, thus losing access to all my data stored there? (It is connected to my computer and 'shared' among 2 other computers in the house - that rarely access it - but just in case the need arrives, it is set up so I can.)

Please let me know - I use Vipre 2012 and also a pop-up blocker and firewall. I haven't had any trouble until these last couple days. The stupid thing I did-I clicked on an email I received the other day - and was going to move it to spam and apparently my finger was too quick and I double clicked on it rather than single click and move or spam. I don't know if that was it - but thats all I can think of - other than a 'free' program that was downloaded who knows when but that was the name of the files that were 'infected' the 1st day I found the virus - which was an OCR program that must have been downloaded many months ago - as I didn't recall doing anything like that recently and I'm very careful not to DL things without scanning them 1st. (I recently dl quite a few videos from YouTube to compile a DVD of old country / christian music videos for a Christmas gift - but everything scanned clean before I converted and burned them.)

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this - my OS is Windows XP - and I use Mozilla for my browser, never IE - except I do have Messenger (MSN/Hotmail) that I use from time to time.

God bless everyone here - what a great place to have found - I hope that I can get some help with my problem, and I hope to be able to go online and search for issues I've solved that I might be able to offer help on myself.

descriptionTrouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus EmptyRe: Trouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus

more_horiz
No, your external drives will be fine, system volume information is just system restore.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Trouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus DXwU4
Trouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus VvYDg

descriptionTrouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus EmptyRe: Trouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus

more_horiz
Belahzur - Thank you so much for your quick response. Can you tell me, will deleting those files from the computer then get rid of that trojan?

I'm thinking I will need to go and delete any suspected emails from the date that I opened the one I suspect cause the problem, but I don't know for sure. I am currently scanning individual folders on that drive to find out if I can find the 'source' of the trojan - to see if any 'hangers on' are left out there.

What are your thoughts on this?

I am not able to make a contribution monetarily at this time, but certainly can see how this would be something that I will do in the future - this site is a treasure for those who have some knowledge, but not enough to safely help themselves, and who can't afford the $30.00 an hour to talk to someone on the phone or whatever to get it taken care of.

God bless and thanks again!

more_horiz
You can remove them safely, system restore isn't anything needed by the OS.

Yeah, scan the drives and remove anything suspicious and anything you don't trust.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Trouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus DXwU4
Trouble with Trojan.Win32.Buzus VvYDg

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum