WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionBSOD - "Watchdog.sys" EmptyBSOD - "Watchdog.sys"

more_horiz
Hi there.

I don't know if this is where I put this - I was debating asking for help in the GPA student help forum, but I really don't think it's a virus.

Basically, occasionally when I'm running the internet, my computer will hang realllyyyyyy badly. It's not just the internet hanging, it's the whole thing - my cursor will stay like the link hand no matter where I put it on the screen, it won't lat me click on any of the items in my taskbar or system tray, etc. Occasionally, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL or just waiting for it will end with it going back to normal, but just as often, it will end with a BSOD that says something about a bad driver, and the file that's causing the issue is "Watchdog.sys".

Now, I'd been having issues with Avira, and I thought that it was a corrupted Avira file, so I decided to do what I'd been planning for weeks and switched to Avast. Several weeks later, I'm still having the problem.

Usually, while the system's hanging, either a few seconds before it dies or a few seconds before it starts running again, the computer will beep once. This doesn't always happen, though.

Could you help me figure out what's causing the problem, where the file is, and how to fix it?

Also, let me know if this is in the wrong area of the forum.

descriptionBSOD - "Watchdog.sys" EmptyRe: BSOD - "Watchdog.sys"

more_horiz
Hi there,

googled on your topic and found something at youtube that might be helpfull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlT_1ZTtkes
I haven't seen it completely and can't turn on sound, here in the office, but maybe it helps.

good luck with this one

more_horiz
Thanks.

It says that the problem is something about "Hardware Acceleration" and is a problem with Flash Player.

The people say that turning off Hardware Acceleration will help soemtimes, but, I don't know how to do that.

more_horiz
follow this link: http://www.deskshare.com/resources/articles/dmc_turnoffhardwareacceleration.aspx
it shows you how to switch off the hardware acceleration.

have you already tried to surf the internet with another browser than the one you are using right now? that also might make a difference.
well good luck again.

more_horiz
The only other browser I have is Internet Explorer, which I hate with a burning passion.

It hasn't happened in a few days, so I'll see if it happens again before following the steps you showed me.

THanks! Big Grin

more_horiz
since this hardware accelaration seems to have influence mainly on your videocard, you might try to update the drivers of your card and see if this brings the answer and keeps the BSOD away for ever.

more_horiz
Actually, this started happening after I updated the drivers - it seems to only be a problem with the newest drivers.

more_horiz
Well, maybe you should downgrade the drivers to the former ones.

............................................................................................

Everybody talks about how much I drink but nobody talks about my thirst Smile...

more_horiz
Since I haven't been having thre problem, I can only assume that the latest Flash update fixed the issue.

more_horiz
well, this might be the solution, I hope you won't see any of those nasty blue screens for the coming years. :smile2:

............................................................................................

Everybody talks about how much I drink but nobody talks about my thirst Smile...

more_horiz
I hope so too~! I hate bluescreens with a fiery burning passion.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum