WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWin 7 Can't Connect to Public wifi EmptyWin 7 Can't Connect to Public wifi

more_horiz
Hello!

I have a new Toshiba laptop with pre-loaded Windows 7. I can connect to my private home wifi with no problems. However, I cannot connect to my workplace's public wifi. The computer sees the network, but will not connect to the internet. I have run the troubleshooter, disabled the firewall, disabled anti-virus - all to no avail. Sometimes the troubleshooter says "Invalid IP address" - other times says is a "connectivity problem" duh! It then gives me an internet link to try - but I'm not on the internet, so.......

There are DOZENS of other computers using this network, and mine works at home. A quick search shows lots of folks having similar problems, but I haven't found any good fixes. Oh, and I'm really illiterate in WIN 7 (I have an XP and an old Win 95) - so keep it simple, please!

Thanks!

descriptionWin 7 Can't Connect to Public wifi EmptyRe: Win 7 Can't Connect to Public wifi

more_horiz
Here's more info: I'm using Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

The computer sees 3 public networks from my worksite, but will not connect to any of them. Troubleshooter does not help. When I view the "map", it shows "Unidentified Network". Troubleshooter now says "There is a problem with the adapter or access point". Device manager says the adapter is enabled and working fine (and it works on my home wifi network).

Also: others have told me that other programs like Bonjour could be the problem. This is not listed under "services" so I guess I don't have it. I also do not have McAfee.

Again this is a brand new computer, not an upgrade. Help!!!!!

descriptionWin 7 Can't Connect to Public wifi EmptyRe: Win 7 Can't Connect to Public wifi

more_horiz
I have the same problem with a Toshiba netbook with win 7 starter

I have connected with this at a starbucks free wifi on the day i got it three days ago, but when i tried to connect to a Fred Meyers free node today I connected to the modem but was not able to get the disclaimer page to open on any of my browsers in order to activate the free wifi permissions (I think that's the problem)

I read on a different site that it might be your anti virus interfering with the connection, so I will have to try disabling my av next time I am at fred meyers and see if that works. (I am on my home internet right now) My AV is Trend Micro Titanium I got free for 6 months with my netbook (best buy deal)

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum