WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionPersistent Firmware Virus? EXPERTS PLEASE - Thought I was an IT professional  EmptyPersistent Firmware Virus? EXPERTS PLEASE - Thought I was an IT professional

more_horiz
...but after over a month I have to admidt defeat. Every computer, hard drive, and piece of media I own (maybe even 3 netgear wg111's) transmits this monster.

PROBLEM:
-System integrity is continually compromised, even after extra measures like removing the HD & CMOS battery, and systematically powercycling the system so as to clear temporary memory before attempting OS installs.

DISCLAIMER:
I cannot post the logs as required, as it's not possible. I am only here via a bootable linux CD.

WHAT I KNOW:
-The administrator account gets pswd'd. (I know, my bad)
-The BIOS stays corrupt on 5 of my machines, despite my best efforts to clear all temp mem and even flash BIOS.
-The malicious code is very effective against xp, creating a slew of problems to include BSODs, power faiure, format fails, and freezes... esp during xp install.
-Low level DOD formatting often fails, to include removable media.
-Chkdsk imagines the HD is unrecoverably damaged. (SMART even predicted HD failure on one drive)
-Free DOS, KNOPPIX, and other tools fail.
-I gotta make a prosthetic Bill Gates head, and buy a huge slab of meat to smack the smug out of him.

WHAT I SUSPECT:
-I will prob throw these machines out the 2nd story window if I break.
-Mass consumption of coffee has led me to not trust my farts.

OTHER SYMPTOMS (to begin with first noticed):
-Without cycling power and trying to boot, two errors are persistant across all systems. A PXE error (exiting ROM) whether or not a cd is in... or message Operating System Not Found (unrelated to there being one or not)
-The only way to boot from CD or HD is to use the boot menu after temp mem cleared
-If I get through an OS install, the first sign something is wrong is when I after I install avast, m-bam, and zone alarm (from CD, from clean machine). They begin to malfunction before reboot.
-connecting any of my 3 wg111 adapters will bring death swiftly. Note, the internet connection often becomes intermittent and then is snuffed.
-sleep deprevation, weight gain, and severe longing for my friggin life back... how emo.

Observations:
-I don't feel like less a man for asking for help.
-Just bc I got a few crappy antivirus programs and know how to recover files, doesn't mean I should, even if it is a really, really good friend.
-Imagining I know what I'm doing in one situation can be the groundwork for unimaginable enlightenment.
-My friends know what day of the week it is; I probably should too.
-New ipods come with apple stickers which look super sexy on my toaster and microwave.

descriptionPersistent Firmware Virus? EXPERTS PLEASE - Thought I was an IT professional  EmptyBUMP

more_horiz
BUMP

descriptionPersistent Firmware Virus? EXPERTS PLEASE - Thought I was an IT professional  EmptyRe: Persistent Firmware Virus? EXPERTS PLEASE - Thought I was an IT professional

more_horiz
Post this in the Virus Section where the Virus pros check out post buddy.

descriptionPersistent Firmware Virus? EXPERTS PLEASE - Thought I was an IT professional  EmptyRe: Persistent Firmware Virus? EXPERTS PLEASE - Thought I was an IT professional

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum