WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionComputer keeps shutting down EmptyComputer keeps shutting down

more_horiz
Okay, so my dad gave me a computer that he no longer wanted b/c it had Windows XP on it and he wanted Windows 7 and he found it more cost effective to just buy a new computer. When he wrapped it up it was working fine (of course) but when I hooked it up from this end it wasn't. The issue is it won't stay running. I push the on button and sometimes it starts up and sometimes it doesn't. When it starts up it will run for a few seconds and then shut down again....I've gotten as far as seeing the Windows XP symbol but that's it. It is a Gateway Desktop computer. Could it be the on button has a short in it or could it be something else? Thank you for your time in trying to help me figure this out.

descriptionComputer keeps shutting down EmptyRe: Computer keeps shutting down

more_horiz
Hi,
Lets check BIOS settings first. When you press power button to turn your computer on, press DEL on your keyboard till you get to BIOS screen. Now choose "Load Optimized Defaults", now press F10 to Save, confirm with Y as Yes and your computer should restart.

Tell me if you still have booting problem.

more_horiz
When I said that I saw the XP screen I mean out of the number of times I tried to turn it on I saw that once....and now it isn't even turning on at all Sad tearing I'm assuming it is the turn on button but the reset button doesn't even work and that is separate wiring so not sure what is going on.

more_horiz
You can not turn it on ? Would you like to open your Desktop case and check cables for power ? Are they still property connected to motherboard pins, you'll see them at one of the corners of your motherboard, and few cables which took to the power buttons. Check them.

more_horiz
I double checked all the power cords and everything looks good in that regard. It still won't turn on so not sure what that's all about.

more_horiz
Hi,
Than you have problem with PSU, you'll have to buy new Power Supply. I suggest you 500 Watts.

more_horiz
Okay, that is a Power Supply Unit...do I replace that entire box? I've never done that before...is it difficult? Also the computer did start to boot up again today but it wouldn't let me go into the bios screen at all before shutting down. Now I live in nowhereland so I'll have to order that part in so I want to make sure I get the right one...do you recommend I order directly from Gateway? Thanks for everything...much appreciated!

more_horiz
Yes, replace whole PSU. It's pretty easy, just open your computer case and you'll have to took out two or one connectors from motherboard. It look like this :
Computer keeps shutting down PSU_connectors_ATX12V

So, you can't miss them. Just follow wire from your PSU to motherboard. You'll also have to unplug all of your hardware from Power Supply. HDD have one, CD Rom, etc.. you'll know, all wires from PowerSupply should have been unplugged. Than you can easy took PSU out from your computer case.

You can buy any model of PSU if you like. But, for best performance and long life, you should choose Chiftec, CoolerMaster or any other manufacturer that is popular in your city. I don't know your system configuration, so I suggest you to buy 500 Watts which is normal power for normal computer. If you have some high gaming PC, than you should take PSU with more watts.

If you have more question, feel free to ask.

more_horiz
We do have a coolermaster in it currently...only 400 Watts at present...will replace with the same...if I have any more questions I will certainly ask...thank you so much for your time ;)

more_horiz
Nice, but maybe you should took a bit more powerful PSU, 450 Watts or more.. Your choice now ;)

more_horiz
hahahaah I mean will replace with a Coolermaster but with more wattage ;) Thanks again.

more_horiz
Okay so I finally got around to replacing the PSU and no such luck...it still shuts down before it can boot up....it starts and gives the illusion that its going to start only to shut down before it even starts again. What is the next step.

more_horiz
You have some serious hardware problem. Take your computer to nearest PC Tech & Support, they should test all components from their service.

more_horiz
K so it isn't an easy fix....good to know. I am going to take the new PSU and put it into the other computer and I'll just dump this one as it is not like its new or anything...I'll just take the components that are working and use it for parts. Thanks so much for your time.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum