WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWireless internet connection keeps dropping  EmptyWireless internet connection keeps dropping

more_horiz
Hello,
I'm on dLink wifi in a home network. My laptop keeps disconnecting from the Internet, usually ending up with the "cannot find server" screen. When I open the network centre, it will show "no internet access". After running the troubleshooter diagnosis, it will tell me to reset the router. Whether I do or don't, I just click on Done and poof! it's magically fixed and connected again. The router is fine, had it checked. We also use linksys and the same thing happens. Sometimes I have to connect/disconnect a few times between the two to get connected again.

I have Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network adapter and Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet.

I've searched all over for a solution to this. I've updated the drivers, rechecked the router key, had the router checked, everything I can think of. There are 3 laptops in the house: one XP, two on Windows 7, one using Firefox, the other uses IE. The XP has no problems with this, only the 2 running Win7. Is there a glitch in it? Microsoft says no, of course but they also don't offer any viable solutions to the problem.

What could it be?

............................................................................................

Love and light........safora

descriptionWireless internet connection keeps dropping  EmptyRe: Wireless internet connection keeps dropping

more_horiz
Hi,

I suggest to update your Windows XP to Service Pack 3.
If you already have it, than you should check your Wireless Settings on your XP system, it might be a problem with them, you should check existing connection and if you have problem, set new one.

Also, i suggest you to use WinSockFix, which can be downloaded from link bellow :
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

After that, try again to connect your XP to router.

Let me know results.

............................................................................................

Wireless internet connection keeps dropping  V45u80

descriptionWireless internet connection keeps dropping  EmptyRe: Wireless internet connection keeps dropping

more_horiz
Good morning Nazzgull,

The XP machine is the only one NOT disconnecting all the time. Smile... His machine is just fine.

It's the Windows 7 machines that have the problem. I've read all over the place where this seems to be a widespread glitch but there don't seem to be any solutions anywhere. And of course, Microsoft says there's never a problem with THEIR stuff, it must be me. No way!

more_horiz
Hi, sorry i didn't understand you Smile...

Try to Remove Wireless connection, check this thread :
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/120670-wireless-network-remove.html?filter

After that, DO NOT connect to any wireless connection till we do next procedure.

Please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator.
In Command Prompt please type next command, and after each of them press Enter :
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
exit

Now, connect to your home Wireless network, set as HOME Connection in Network Connections and enjoy Smile...

more_horiz
Hi back Smile...

K, did all that and it worked fine. Let's hope it keeps working.

Thank you for your help.

more_horiz
I'm glad that I helped Smile...

more_horiz
You did help, and I thank you very much.

I do have a new problem now maybe you can help with. The XP machine has been ousted from the dlink network. It is showing up as unavailable. What did I do to it? When setting up my own it asked a lot of questions that I didn't quite understand but went with the recommended or automated settings. Did I secure it against him?

Man oh man I feel stupid sometimes.

more_horiz
I suggest you to run Winsockfix from post above on your XP machine.

If i understand you, you can not connect to your dlink ? Did you set up some password or something like that, wep, wap security ?

If you have any problem, check this article on Microsoft :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx

This is one interesting also :
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/wlan_client_connect.mspx?mfr=true

http://helpdesk.coloradocollege.edu/index.php/connecting-to-cc/wireless/connect-to-wireless-on-windows-xp/
http://www.egr.msu.edu/decs/how-to/connect_to_wireless_network_using_windows_xp

You should be able to connect to your dlink from wireless management window. It's just right click on your adapter near clock icon as tray, just right click on in and Choose wireless network to connect.

more_horiz
Good morning,
Sorry for the delay...weekends are busy here.

During my reinstallation of everything, I managed to somehow secure the network. Sad tearing It ended up as WPA2 Personal with AES Encryption. AND I managed to rename the thing. And I can't get it to go back to normal. I just wish I could get rid of the security and rename it back but it won't allow that, even with totally removing the network and reinstalling everything, it just comes back to the secure thing.

Anyway, I re-did the XP machine to connect to all this, set up his network and put it through the security thing. It works fine now.

Geez, I really shouldn't be allowed to play on here.
Thanks for all your help and the links.

more_horiz
You should use protection, it's much better. If you take it off, some of your neighbors could steel your Internet.

Glad I helped Smile...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum