WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionExternal Graphics Card Problem EmptyExternal Graphics Card Problem

more_horiz
I’m hoping someone can help me get an external ATI HD5550 display adapter working properly.

I just took delivery of an HIS ATI Radeon HD 5550 PCIe card. I installed the card in a ViDock 3 chassis for use as an external display adapter for a Dell XPS 16 (Core i7 820, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit). The laptop’s internal display adapter is an ATI Radeon HD 4670, which runs the laptop’s own display and a Wacom Cintiq 21ux through the Display Port. The HD 5550 PCIe is intended to run a Dell UltraSharp 2407FP though the ViDock VGA connection. (The ViDock connects to the Dell XPS 16 through the laptop’s Express Card port.)

I downloaded and installed the latest driver (10-9_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_enu.exe). A message at the end of the installation said the driver installed but “warnings occurred during installation.” The log indicated that each stage of the installation succeeded. There were no error messages.

In Device Manager, the HD5550 appears as “ATI Radeon HD 5500 Series” and is certified as “working properly.” However, in Devices and Printers I see two new icons: one has a yellow warning sign (!) and says “Unknown Device.” The other icon (same symbol) says “Video Controller (VGA Compatible).”

In Control Panel>..>Screen Resolution, the main display (Mobile PC Display) and the Wacom Cintiq are recognized and operating. However, when I press “Detect,” I get a rectangle with the message “Another display not detected.” It can’t find the Dell monitor, attached to the HD5550 VGA port. The monitor is attached correctly.

I tried twice to reinstall, but no luck. Each time I get the “installed with warnings” message, and each time I get the “Unknown Device” icon along with the “Video Controlled (VGA Compatible)” icon.

Given that the HD5550 appears in Device Manager, I'm thinking the problem is the graphics card driver rather than the ViDock chassis that powers the HD5550 and connects it to the laptop. It may be that there are two ATI graphics cards: the internal HD4670 and the new, external HD5550. But I'm guessing. I know very little about graphics cards.

I tried to contact HIS Digital tech support, but their support is a phone number that no one answers. Any help would be much appreciated.

descriptionExternal Graphics Card Problem EmptyRe: External Graphics Card Problem

more_horiz
Sorry for the delay in getting to you...

Please wait here, while I refer you to an excellent Tech Advisor or other staff.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum