WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionWindows/system32/config/system is missing EmptyWindows/system32/config/system is missing

more_horiz
When i try to start up my system, i get this error:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt...

Windows/system32/config/system

Howver, i hard drive is good, i tried it on another computer and it started up corrctly. The memory and processor are all good as well.

I tried another working HD on the system and got the same error. one was a sata and the other was an ide.
The cables are good as well...

What can be the problem?

............................................................................................

Windows/system32/config/system is missing Educat10

descriptionWindows/system32/config/system is missing EmptyRe: Windows/system32/config/system is missing

more_horiz
That is usually indicative of a corrupt registry, a repair/install fixes that problem. If you have SP2/3 onboard you have to uninstall IE7 or IE8 if you have either and revert back to IE6. You can update again after the repair install.
Have a look Here for instructions

descriptionWindows/system32/config/system is missing EmptyRe: Windows/system32/config/system is missing

more_horiz
so i use the hard drive on another pc and uninstall IE7/8?

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Hiya,
a bad reply from me, do the repair/install. Revert back to IE6 if 7 or 8 whichever you`ve got dont work. Then re-boot and update to IE8. You can go straight from 6 to 8. Make sense??

more_horiz
Rapair and install?

more_horiz
Read the link I gave in first reply, it is really simple to follow. A repair/install copies system files over the top, you will loose nothing.
The only problem is Internet Explorer, because it uses IE6 in the repair/install if you have later versions Internet explorer installed, it will not work on completion.
Because you cant boot you cannot uninstall IE7 or IE8 in preparation, so you have to fix this when the repair/install is complete. All of the instructions are in the link, it is real easy to follow.....

more_horiz
One prob tho...

For some reason... the cd starts up and the suddenly, it says cannot copy the files. i tired 2 different cd and two different drives.

more_horiz
Your losing me here, why would you try two HD`s I thought you had a PC with a problem? error indicates duff registry. Was the second HD to prove the CD`s I`d say they both seem faulty.

How to perform a re-installation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair installation?

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can d/l VSO Inspector Install that on another PC and use it to check the integrity of your Windows CD, make sure the disks are OK...

more_horiz
Here's what I am saying.

When it passes step 1, an error comes up saying that it cannot continue the installation because a file is corrupt.

I tried two different XP cs and two different drives. The same thing happens.

You are saying that my system has crashed, but I took out my HD and tried it on another pc and it worked perfectly.

But i dont know why it wont work on my system.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum