WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionComputer keeps freezing WIndows 7 EmptyComputer keeps freezing WIndows 7

more_horiz
Hi,

I can't seem to figure out why my computer keeps on locking up. I was previously running Vista (computer would freeze in Vista) but upgraded to 7 about a month ago. The computer seems to lock up at random times. The cursor freezes up and Ctrl Alt Del does not work as the keyboard is locked up as well. Some days it will lock up once or so and others it can lock up around 7-10 times. I've run a memory diagnostic test and also have run a HDD test for bad sectors (both come up clean). I've cleaned up the registry and make sure to always keep it clean. My specs are as follows,

Intel E2200
4GB DDR2 Ram
WL250GB (Seagate)
Windows 7

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Thanks.

descriptionComputer keeps freezing WIndows 7 EmptyRe: Computer keeps freezing WIndows 7

more_horiz
Hello,

Cleaning the registry may results in removing important keys required for Windows to function properly. I believe it is the cause of of your Windows 7 freezing.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Computer keeps freezing WIndows 7 Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionComputer keeps freezing WIndows 7 EmptyRe: Computer keeps freezing WIndows 7

more_horiz
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Would you recommend that I reinstall 7 or is there a way to restore what may have been removed?

Thanks,
Mike

more_horiz
Hello,

What registry cleaner did you use? You could try a system restore to the point before you noticed the freezing. You could also try repairing Windows instead of reinstalling it.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Hi,

I was using Advanced System Care to perform the registry clean. However, this freezing problem has been occuring prior to me running any registry cleaners. The problem has actually been occuring for some time... I just always thought it was a glitchy O/S in Vista until it continued when I installed 7.

Mike

more_horiz
Bump.

more_horiz
Hello,

It can be difficult to determine what is causing the problem. So we need to perform a clean boot procedure.

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
2. The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options

1. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3. Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
5. Click the Services tab.
6. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7. Click Disable All, and then click OK.
8. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows

1. If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
2. When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

Note:
* You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
* The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
* Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Step 4: Optional step to disable features

If the clean boot fixed the error, you do not have to perform this step.

Important If your problem is not fixed and you do have to follow this step, it permanently removes all restore points from your computer. The System Restore feature uses restore points to restore your computer to an earlier state. If you remove the restore points, you can no longer restore Windows to an earlier state.

This step temporarily disables Microsoft features such as Plug and Play, networking, event logging, and error reporting.

1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
2. Click the General tab, click to clear the Load System Services check box, and then click OK.
3. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

If these steps helped you start your computer in a clean-boot state, you are finished. If these steps did not help, go to the “Next Steps” section. If you have to return your computer to a normal startup state, go to “Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state”.
Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state
After you used the clean boot to resolve your problem, you can follow these steps to configure Windows XP to start normally.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type msconfig, and then click OK.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
3. Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
4. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

more_horiz
Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I tried the above but I couldn't find the following options,
2. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3. Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.

Under msconfig general tab I have the following,

Normal Startup
-load all device drivers and services

Diagnostic Startup
-load basic devices and services only

Selective Startup
-load system services (check box)
-load startup items (check box)
-use original boot configuration (check box)

Anyhow, I did try disabling all non Microsoft services and the computer would still randomly freeze. It's somewhat difficult to figure out what works and what doesn't as sometimes the computer will be fine for most of the day and other times it will continually freeze. I did notice that it tends to freeze with multiple browsing windows open for the internet. However, it locks up using either I.E. or Firefox.

Thanks,
Mike

more_horiz
Hello,

It might be malware, I guess. Open a new topic here for a checkup:

http://www.GeekPolice.net/virus-spyware-malware-removal-f11/

If the problem persists post back here.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum