WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionConnected to internet but can't get on the web EmptyConnected to internet but can't get on the web

more_horiz
Running Windows XP on a Dell laptop was running great till got attacked by Personal Antivirus, have restored laptop to a previous date and now when I click on Internet Explorer to go on the web the page comes up then goes away. I can't get any web page to come up at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

descriptionConnected to internet but can't get on the web EmptyRe: Connected to internet but can't get on the web

more_horiz
Hello,

Open CMD, Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults by typing: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults by typing: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Restart your PC.

If it doesn't work, download Winsock XP Fix from here, save it to your Desktop.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Double click on the exe on your Desktop.
Press the "Fix" button, then restart again.

See if you can connect now.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Connected to internet but can't get on the web Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionConnected to internet but can't get on the web EmptyRe: Connected to internet but can't get on the web

more_horiz
What does CMD mean and how do i get to it to open it?

more_horiz
Hello,

Go to Start >> run >> type in CMD

............................................................................................

more_horiz
Ok I did that and a box popped up but nothing about winsock. Tried typing that netsh catalog thing and nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

more_horiz
Hello,

Try using Winsock Fix instead.

more_horiz
I can't get any web pages to even come up so can I save this file to a flash drive?

more_horiz
Yes, transfer it to a flash drive.

more_horiz
Hi,

I've been having the same problem, I tried both CMD methods but the "netsh int ip reset reset.log" won't even get a response

Then I used the winsockxpfix and it STILL hasn't worked...

I constantly get the message:
"accept-encoding: text.html, text/plain
COnnecTIon: cLOse"

This happens in both browsers (IE and FireFox) but I can connect to steam and aim.

Could you help me please?

more_horiz
Hello,

Please start a new topic for your problem.

more_horiz
Somehow my browsers have started to work again, so I won't be needing your help for now.

thanks anyways

more_horiz
OMG please help before I throw this laptop out the window!!! I followed your advice to reset the winsock entries,restarted and worked fine for 1 day and now am back to square 1.. I have restored to an earlier date, got connected to internet but unable to get IE(7) to let me browse the web, the IE page opens then says encountered a problem needs to shutdown and boom it's gone!! What am I missing or doing wrong?
When I open CMD and type in the netsh for resetting winsock then it says restart computer before I do that do I type in the TCP/IP default under that before I restart?

more_horiz
Do you have a flash drive?
Because you can just download the winsockxpfix from another computer and then bring it to your laptop. It didn't work the first couple times I tried, but it worked eventually.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum