WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionPotential virus in new folder EmptyPotential virus in new folder

more_horiz
The Malware section is unavaliable, so i posted here for help.

I think I may have a virus on my PC. I was looking on my hard drive this morning when I saw a hidden folder called C_Dilla on my C: drive. I don’t have any program by that name, but my antivirus software isn’t detecting it. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

descriptionPotential virus in new folder EmptyRe: Potential virus in new folder

more_horiz
C_Dilla isn’t actually a virus. It’s part of a technology called SafeCast, which is installed automatically by many applications (typically games) to help protect against unauthorised copying. There’s a full FAQ on this technology on Macrovision’s website at www.macrovision.com/products/safecast/safecast_cdilla_faq.shtml. While its automatic installation is rather irksome, especially as the company refuses to list all of the products using the technology, it doesn’t actually do any harm to your machine. However, if you delete it, then it’s likely that a few of your applications will stop working rather suddenly.

C_Dilla is occasionally referred to as spyware, although in practice it doesn’t report anything back about your computer use. Nevertheless, at least a few spyware checkers – notably Spybot Search And Destroy – have, in the past, had the capability to expunge it from your system.

Other copy-protection systems can be more troublesome. At least a couple have now entered the market that are flat-out refusing to let you run your software if any virtual CD software is detected on your hard drive. Keep a close eye on exactly what programs such as these demand, and do complain if you think they’ve gone too far. Only if we speak up will companies start to listen and learn.

8)

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Potential virus in new folder Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
thank goodness... i appreciate your help, thanks! Smile...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum