WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionUnable to change parental control settings in vista EmptyUnable to change parental control settings in vista

more_horiz
I am using Windows Vista Home Basic. I am using the only administrator account on my computer. I have tried applying parental controls before and it worked. Recently, I was just able to access the parental control settings. But after I restarted my computer, I found that I could no longer access the settings anymore( Please refer to the link ) . I could not even run the auto-reporting feature. I have already checked my msconfig and services.msc, it was clearly stated that the parental controls service was running and that it was set to auto-start. I do not know what is happening. Please advise me on how to solve this problem. Sad tearinghttps://i.servimg.com/u/f89/13/69/31/58/parent11.jpg

Last edited by Lance(HAOH) on 23rd May 2009, 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total

descriptionUnable to change parental control settings in vista EmptyRe: Unable to change parental control settings in vista

more_horiz
The Built in Administrator account in Vista is disabled by default. Your account is setup as an administrator when you first install Vista and create that initial username.

Try rebooting in Safe Mode and logon with the built in Administrator and confirm that "your" account is still setup as an administrator. You may want to setup another username as its possible your account has been corrupted.

How to boot your system into Safe Mode:

1. Restart your computer if it is powered on.
2. Tap the F8 key after your computer initially powers on.
3. Once you see the Advanced Boot Options menu you can stop tapping.
4. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your selection.
5. Select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter.
6. You should see drivers loading, and then Please wait.
7. You should then be at the Welcome Screen.
8. Logon to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.

Below is a link to fix a corrupted Profile:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Unable to change parental control settings in vista Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionUnable to change parental control settings in vista EmptyRe: Unable to change parental control settings in vista

more_horiz
I am certain that my account is not corrupted as there are no signs to tell and I am using my account perfectly well. I have also used safe mode to check out wether my account is the 'real' administrator account on the computer or not and it proved that there was no other administrator on this computer. What do I do next?

more_horiz
The Built-In Administrator account is disabled by default.

Start >> run >> cmd >> When the Command Prompt window appears, enter the command net user administrator /active:yes

When done, log out from your current account. The Administrator account should now be present on your log in screen.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
I am still unable to enable parental controls using the 'real' admin. What should I do?

more_horiz
Once the Administrator is enabled, log in and make attempt to make the necessary changes to the parental control settings.

more_horiz
Doctor Inferno wrote:
Once the Administrator is enabled, log in and make attempt to make the necessary changes to the parental control settings.

I still get the same error message when I am using the 'real' administrator account. What should I do?

more_horiz
Hello,

I would like to recommend you do a System File Checker: This looks for and attempt to repair corrupted system files.

Running the System File Checker:

Start >> run (right click, run as administrator) >> cmd >>Type in sfc /scannow

You should see the following on-screen messages:

Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification % complete.

Once the scan has completed you will receive an onscreen message resembling one of the following:

...found no integrity violations
...found corruption but repaired it
...found corruption that it could not repair

Please reply with the completion message which you received.

more_horiz
I have run the scan.

Please view this screenshot.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f89/13/69/31/58/sfc10.jpg

I have also ran a chkdsk command.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f89/13/69/31/58/chkdsk10.jpg

Here's the HijackThis log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:02:28 AM, on 23/5/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18226)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Windows\system32\schtasks.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAAnotif.exe
C:\Windows\system32\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\FlashGet\flashget.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\hp\kbd\kbd.exe
C:\Windows\system32\conime.exe
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\cdbxpp.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://search.orbitdownloader.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_sg&c=81&bd=Presario&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_sg&c=81&bd=Presario&pf=desktop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: flashget urlcatch - {2F364306-AA45-47B5-9F9D-39A8B94E7EF7} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jccatch.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: FlashGet GetFlash Class - {F156768E-81EF-470C-9057-481BA8380DBA} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\getflash.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KbdStub.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateReg] "C:\Windows\system32\jureg.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UnlockerAssistant] "C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe" -H
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Flashget] C:\Program Files\FlashGet\FlashGet.exe /min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [wpcumi.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\wpcumi.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download All with FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\FlashGet.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\FlashGet.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\wpclsp.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
O23 - Service: wampapache - Apache Software Foundation - c:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.11\bin\httpd.exe
O23 - Service: wampmysqld - Unknown owner - c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.33\bin\mysqld.exe

--
End of file - 7133 bytes

more_horiz
I noticed this line:

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [wpcumi.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\wpcumi.exe

Which points to the Windows Parental Control Notifications (wpcumi.exe) from Windows. In most cases it might be a trojan.

Did you deliberately enable Windows Parental Control?

more_horiz
Yes, I did. But I disabled it later using services.msc
When I enabled it again by using services.msc and tried to use parental controls, I encountered this problem.

By the way, the wpcumi.exe process could not be run. As seen in the HijackThis log, it is set to autostart, but it does not start on boot.

I guess that the file, wpcumi.exe, could be corrupt as services.msc already showed that parental controls were running but when I clicked on the wpcumi.exe file, it would not start.

I also do not think that computer has been infected with malware as my antivirus, avast, blocks virus infected files that are downloaded. My computer also has not experienced any symptoms of a malware infected computer. Anyway, I'll still do a full system scan. What should I do next?

more_horiz
Seeing how you get the error even while logged into the system with the real Administrator account, I suggest/recommend you do a Inplace Upgrade (repair) to Vista using the Vista DVD.

If you do not have a Vista DVD and only have the Recovery Media, you can borrow someone's Vista DVD if they have the same version as you. Just use your Product key if you are asked for it.

Below are the instructions to do a Inplace Upgrade (Repair) on Vista.

Repair Installation:
You may reinstall your copy of Vista while keeping your files, settings, and programs by performing a repair installation or an in-place upgrade with the following steps: (Note: This does not always resolve all issues, especially if the corruption was caused by a 3rd party program or service, you might need to do a clean installation if this is unsuccessful.)

---------------------
Please make sure you Backup any and all important data before proceeding. See: Methods for backing up your files.

Always make sure you have the means to reinstall your programs, either through an install disk or having access to the installation files.
---------------------

1. Insert the Windows installation disc into your computer's DVD or CD
drive. You must start Windows installation while running your existing
version of Windows.

2. On the Install Windows page, click Install now.

3. On the Get important updates for installation
page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a
successful installation and to help protect your computer against
security threats. You will need an Internet connection to get
installation updates.

4. On the Type your product key for activation page, we strongly recommend that you type your 25-character product key to help avoid problems during activation.

5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms.

6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade. You might see a compatibility report.

7. Follow the instructions.

Note: If your installation disk does not include SP1, and you are updated to it, then you will have to uninstall it before performing an upgrade install. Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> View installed updates, then select Service Pack for Microsoft Windows and click Uninstall.

Note: The following settings will be reset to default:

Computer Sound Scheme
Device Drivers
Visual Effects
Windows Mail
Windows Services

If you notice files missing after the upgrade look in the following folders:

C:\Windows.old
C:\$INPLACE.~TR
C:\$WINDOWS.~Q

These files can be cleared with disk cleanup as "Files discarded by Windows upgrade".
Delete files using Disk Cleanup

more_horiz
That did it! Thanks for your help Doctor.

more_horiz
Awesome, glad I could help. Smile...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum