WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionLaptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode - Page 1 EmptyRe: Laptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode

more_horiz
2 GB.

descriptionLaptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode - Page 1 EmptyRe: Laptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode

more_horiz
Hello. Lets free up some resources first and see if it makes any difference.

• Open HijackThis
  • Choose "Do a system scan only"
  • Check the boxes in front of these lines:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

• Press "Fix Checked"
  • Close Hijack This.

Reboot normally.
Try running a virus scan now in safe mode and let me know if there's any difference.

............................................................................................

Site Admin / Security Administrator

Virus Removal ~ OS Support ~ Have we helped you? Help us! ~ GeekChat
- Please PM me if I fail to respond within 24hrs.
Laptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode - Page 1 DXwU4
Laptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode - Page 1 VvYDg

more_horiz
Ok, I got rid of those files with HJT. I'm going to reboot and try a full scan in safe mode, so I'll check back with you as soon as I'm done. Thanks...

more_horiz
I was able to run a full scan with Malwarebytes without the computer shutting down, but when I rebooted to regular mode it shut off a few seconds after the Acer screen popped up. However, I powered it up again afterwards and it didn't shut off.

more_horiz
This is the report from Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2024
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

4/22/2009 7:20:21 PM
mbam-log-2009-04-22 (19-20-21).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 156951
Time elapsed: 29 minute(s), 30 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

more_horiz
Well, the scan ran to completion after freeing up some resources, so hopefully it stays that way.

............................................................................................

more_horiz
True, but I just ran Avira in safe mode and the machine shut down again. It took me three tries just to power it up completely.

more_horiz
Hmm. Sounds like something hardware related could be happening if it took over 3 times just to boot normally.

Moving this to software, lets see if Doc has any ideas.

more_horiz
Hello joeK64,

This could be due to overheating especially when it took you 3 tries to turn it on again.

I would like you to use the computer normally, and see if it shuts down automatically.

Another possibility would be a faulty PSU (Power Supply Unit)

Also, is there a particular percentage during the scan when your computer shuts down?

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Laptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode - Page 1 Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
No, it happens during various stages of the scanning process.

more_horiz
For the most part, the computer doesn't shut down when I'm on the internet, but I've had problems before with this same issue. The first time this happened to me, it got so bad that it would shut off constantly within a few minutes whether the computer was hot or cold. I took it to a shop to be repaired and they did a clean install, but instead of using Vista proprietary to Acer(I have a Aspire 5520-5912 laptop) I believe they used a version meant for Dell computers. It also came preloaded and I am unable to get another copy of it from Acer on disk. In addition, I always used an additional computer fan to keep the CPU as cool as possible, and now my Outlook program doesn't work because I used Revo Uninstaller to delete Firefox. I really don't know what to do anymore...

more_horiz
One last thing that I forgot to mention - I ran a full scan with Avira in regular mode yesterday and the machine didn't shut off, but it did shut off when I ran Avira in safe mode.

more_horiz
If it happens during various stages then I don't think it has to do with malware. Only 4 possibilities I could think of:

1. Overheating
2. Faulty power supply unit (PSU)
3. Faulty motherboard
4. Corrupted Windows, but still, I have never heard of a corrupted Windows shutting down by itself.

This may not be the best solution, but I recommend performing a format of Windows, since there's nothing else to try.

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Laptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode - Page 1 Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
I'm beginning to agree with you, and I'd like to do the reformat since it's the only option that I have. I ran the online scan from ESET yesterday and it showed no signs of any threats, and I ran Malwarebytes again in Safe Mode and it completed the full scan with no infections, but the computer did shut down one time when I rebooted to regular mode. The problem with the reformat is that I tried to contact Acer and they couldn't(or wouldn't) help me because my computer is out of warranty, and I really cannot afford to buy a copy of Vista to do a reformat or clean install at this time because I am unemployed at this time. If you know of any other options, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

more_horiz
JoeK64 wrote:
I'm beginning to agree with you, and I'd like to do the reformat since it's the only option that I have. I ran the online scan from ESET yesterday and it showed no signs of any threats, and I ran Malwarebytes again in Safe Mode and it completed the full scan with no infections, but the computer did shut down one time when I rebooted to regular mode. The problem with the reformat is that I tried to contact Acer and they couldn't(or wouldn't) help me because my computer is out of warranty, and I really cannot afford to buy a copy of Vista to do a reformat or clean install at this time because I am unemployed at this time. If you know of any other options, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

linux is freeware

Laptop shuts down during virus scan in safe mode - Page 1 MysigROG365x140withmark

more_horiz
Aurora Range:

Sounds interesting - I always wanted to learn Linux anyway. I'm downloading Kubuntu right now and burning it to CD to test drive it. I do have one concern though: I use Verizon wireless broadband for my internet connection, and I'm not sure if they make software that's compatible to Windows.

more_horiz
I'm sorry, I meant compatible with LINUX, not Windows. I've had enough problems with the latter OS to begin with...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum