WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionLaptop Freezes/locks up in bios/fails to boot up EmptyLaptop Freezes/locks up in bios/fails to boot up

more_horiz
About six months ago, my hard drive was beginning to fail. So, I replaced it with a brand new one. Then, my video chip failed on my Dell Latitude D630. I replaced the motherboard with a brand new one. I am somewhat familiar with hardware installation so I am pretty confident everything was installed correctly.

I reinstalled the operating system and installed the drivers according to dell's requested operations. Everything worked fine, then I would go to boot it up and the power light would come on for about a second or two and then I would hear the hard drive click off. So, after doing some research I took out all of the hardware components and ran a diagnostic startup and slowly put each piece back in. Started up like nothing happened. It works for a few days then it will randomly lock up. The only way i can tell is by physically switching my wireless switch on and off to see if the light stays on.

I go to reboot and now it gets locked up in the bios; sometimes in the beginning sometimes in the middle and sometimes in the end. So, i repeat my steps above and eventually it works without any problem.

I figured it could be a bad memory module so I purchased a brand new 2GB kingston DDR2. Everything worked just fine. A little while later computer freezes and i have the hard drive issue again (turns off shortly after power light comes on).

Is there anyway I can find out what is causing my computer to lock up? Each time i have been doing something differently. I have reinstalled drivers, hardware components, etc. I am at a complete loss. Dell basically told me i have done everything i can do and just need to continue with trial and error. Bring it on

descriptionLaptop Freezes/locks up in bios/fails to boot up EmptyRe: Laptop Freezes/locks up in bios/fails to boot up

more_horiz
I need your computer specifications and also the model & watts of your power supply unit.

Thanks

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Laptop Freezes/locks up in bios/fails to boot up Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

descriptionLaptop Freezes/locks up in bios/fails to boot up EmptyRe: Laptop Freezes/locks up in bios/fails to boot up

more_horiz
Service Tag: 8KVSQF1 Change Service Tag
System Type: Latitude D630
Battery Power: 11.1V Capcity 85Wh
A/C Adapter: 19.5V

Quantity Parts # Part Description

1 HM450 Base, Notebook, Core Merom T7300, D630
1 CY742 Processor, T7300, 2.0, 4MB, Core Merom, G0
1 0797C Customer Kit, Documentation, Airborne
1 90729 MODULE..., SOFTWARE..., INFORMATION..., NEW TECHNOLOGY FILE SYSTEM...
1 C7524 Module, Cable, INPUT/OUTPUT..., 4 Pin Phone Connector, Black, 6 Feet, World Wide
1 DR910 Module, Card (circuit), Network Bluetooth, 360, Windows Vista OS
1 DX476 Module, Label, Intel, Notebook Centrino Mobile Technology Santa Rosa Merom
1 FW577 Module, Software, VB32, Digital Video Disk Drive, England, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
1 HN079 Module, Hard Drive, 120G, 5.4 Small Form Factor, H080, LatchedAddress
1 HT736 Module, Software, Quick Fix Engineering, VB32, Latitude
1 HX012 Module, Media, Digital Video Disk Drive, Resource Dvd, D630
1 HY692 Ship Group, Notebook, United States, North, D630, Malaysia Direct Ship, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
1 JM200 Module, DVD+/-RW..., Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Latitude DMOD
1 KM501 Module, Software, Wave Systems Corporation, Mid-Life Kicker Notebook
1 MN748 Module, Software, Roxio, Creator Media, 9.0, Relationship Line OfBusiness
1 NP418 Module, Software, Compact Diskette, Powerdvd, 7.0, Digital Video Disk Drive
1 NP470 Module, Software, VB32, Latitude English, Dell Americas Organization, No Docs/diskettes
1 NP526 Module, Label, MICROSOFT..., Vista, Premium Latitude
1 NP583 Module, Keyboard, 87, United States, Dual Pointing, Black V2DAO
1 NT363 Module, Battery, Primary, 85W, 9C SANYO
1 PN345 Module, Assembly, Base, Discrete Video, Broadcom Polaris, D630
1 PN413 Module, Palmrest, Plastic Fingerprint Reader, D630
1 TC720 Module, Dual In-line Memory Module, 2, 667MHZ, DDR2, 2X1GB, 2
1 UN078 Module, Software, Windows Vista Os, Hypertext Markup Language GUIDE, World Wide
1 UP418 Module, Software, DELL-WELCOME, RLOB
1 WK527 Module, Software, Google, Search Business
1 WM662 Module, Liquid Crystal Display 14.1WX+, Briscoe, Samsung
1 XD831 Module, Adapter, ALTERNATING CURRENT..., 90W, Lead Free, DELTA - AC ADAPT, World Wide
1 XM894 Module, Software, Roxio, Creator Dell Edition, 9.0, Relationship Line Of Business
1 YK233 Module, Software, Powerdvd Windows Vista Os, 7.0, Latitude
1 YW740 Service Install Module Software, LATITUDE..., D630
1 YY222 Module, Card , Network, 4965 Latitude, Most Of World 1

more_horiz
I beleive i have solved the problem...the replacement board i bought from Dell had another faulty video chip. Today when I was working on it, the post screen went blue with dotted lines running down the screen. I disconnected the display and hooked up an external monitor because nothing was coming up on the screen anymore. Once i did this, the post screen freezes with the blue dotted lines running down it.

Correct me if i am wrong, but once i disconnect the display and the same problems shows on an external monitor, the problem is the video chip, right?

From what i have read, the nvidia chip on the latitude d630's have been failing considerably, so this would not surprise me...

more_horiz
Yes, it is due to the video card, it could either be faulty or not powerful enough to support the external display.

............................................................................................

Please be a GeekPolice fan on Facebook!

Laptop Freezes/locks up in bios/fails to boot up Lambo-11

Have we helped you? Help us! | Doctor by day, ninja by night.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum