WiredWX Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionSecunia PSI is no more EmptySecunia PSI is no more

more_horiz
Freebooter, unless things have changed with PSI, I stopped using it ever since they made it all automatic, no user input allowed.  Earlier versions allowed me to flag what I wanted updated and the rest was left un-updated.  I realize the last post was April '18, however, I thought we should determine PSI's current version and its operations -- and report findings in a new thread  Smile...

descriptionSecunia PSI is no more EmptyRe: Secunia PSI is no more

more_horiz
@RolandJS

I heard PSI have been abandoned, i need to change i think few of my tutorials

more_horiz
FreeBooter wrote:
@RolandJS ---  I heard PSI have been abandoned, i need to change i think few of my tutorials

Sometimes, it is best, within tutorials, to make references to a class of utilities, for example:
registry editing utilities (rather than mentioning Resplendence's Registrar Registry Manager)
driver & software updating utilities (rather than mentioning PSI or any other specific name)

more_horiz
Very true.

more_horiz
*PSI project is no more. It's sad. Even Heimdal is increasing its paywall for certain features. We need FOSS updater tool.

more_horiz
Thanks Jay i'm on it!

more_horiz
Cool cool

more_horiz
Jay can you please check out programs at below link.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-software-updater-programs-2625200

more_horiz
I have used FileHippo App Manager before, so it is good and safe - not as efficient.

Heimdal Free is nice, but to auto-update, it seems to not work for free users anymore. 30 day trial will tell you many things about how good it is, so if you don't mind subscription cost, then get it!

SUMo is pretty good, but it has limits (paywall) before you can do a whole lot of good. Premium is worth it, but it is extremely thorough!

I will attempt to test the remainder of the others soon and update this topic. I've been looking for an alternative myself. She Made Me Do It

more_horiz
Thanks Jay!

more_horiz
Okay, so I have decided to test only three more... But first for the others listed on the page: Avira Software Updater (requires subscription if you don't want the ads to upgrade to Pro all the time), GlarySoft Software Update - it is not bad but it does things differently than other updaters and uses FilePuma for source/download (which I don't trust FilePuma as highly).

Soon, I want to try OUTDATEfighter, Patch My PC, and Update Notifier. I will continue to update this topic as it gets done. Smile...

more_horiz
Patch My PC looks promising.

more_horiz
OUTDATEfighter appears to be only Windows 7 and below, so this is out.

Update Notifier is appropriately helpful. However, Patch My PC was definitely the winner and the most recommended free one next to Heimdal Free. Smile...

more_horiz
Thanks for your input Jay!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum