WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionHow to stop Windows 10 download EmptyHow to stop Windows 10 download

more_horiz
I have my brother-in-laws' laptop and my personal desk top that both with windows 7 and both just had a full factory reset. My desktop because I downloaded windows 10 and a week later it completely crashed, the laptop because of a virus or 2... or 8. Bottom line is this. I am looking to stop the windows 10 from downloading permanently on both computers. I'll ask how to remove it after install from my wife's laptop on a different thread.

The laptop - I have removed KB3035583, KB2952664 and KB3021917. I've basically followed these directions here-
"Click Start and search for Disk Cleanup. Right-click the application that appears, and select Run as administrator. Select the drive you want to clean up -- this should be your system drive -- and click OK.

Click on Clean up system files, and select the drive again. In the list you’ll see Temporary Windows installation files. If this contains a sizable number of files, select it and click OK to remove the contents. This will clean out everything in the $Windows.~BT folder, but not in the $Windows.~WS directory (Disk Cleanup doesn’t target this particular folder at the moment). You can delete it manually though.

As for preventing the files being downloaded again, go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall or change a program. Click View installed updates on the left. Use the search box to locate the following updates: KB3035583, KB2952664, and KB3021917 (Windows 7) or KB3035583 and KB2976978 (Windows 8). Right-click each one and select Uninstall. When done, go to System and security in the Control Panel, and select Windows Update > Check for updates. Right-click each of the above updates in turn and select Hide update."

I did show hidden files and everything. Now the windows 10 icon in the bottom right corner is gone Hooray! But it's still trying to download windows 10 when doing updates. The windows 10 doesn't show up on anything I have checked when trying to do updates but keeps say "Downloading Windows 10" after starting the updates. Even just one update (it says 1 update selected) for a security update and it starts to download windows 10 instead. I have turned off auto update in the control panel. How can I stop it from downloading on the laptop? And how can I prevent it from ever doing it again?

The Desktop - I have followed the same instructions as stated above on the desktop, but the windows icon is still in the bottom right corner. Now it hasn't tried to force the update down my throat AS bad as with the laptop, but I don't want to get to that point. I already downloaded it and tried it on the desktop and had to format my HDD and reset to factory because it locked up. It would freeze and stutter, just so slow. Then it didn't want to turn on. No problems before! I should have done a backup right before doing to the big download....oh well. I didn't know if that had any affect on a solution.

Bottom line - I would like to remove the icon and prevent the windows 10 download on the desktop, stop the download on the laptop and prevent it from ever happening on both machines. Can you help? Thank You!

............................................................................................

Life is extremely short.... One VERY long day at a time. Can't Believe It

descriptionHow to stop Windows 10 download EmptyRe: How to stop Windows 10 download

more_horiz
Update on the desktop. After restarting again the icon disappeared, but the kb2952664 came back or I missed it so I deleted it again.

............................................................................................

Life is extremely short.... One VERY long day at a time. Can't Believe It

descriptionHow to stop Windows 10 download EmptyRe: How to stop Windows 10 download

more_horiz
You could try this.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum