WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionMicrosoft Account Issues In Windows 8 EmptyMicrosoft Account Issues In Windows 8

more_horiz
Hi Guys.

My problem is, I have just bought a new HP Laptop, preloaded with Windows 8. When I was setting it up, I was asked to enter my email address and password. Which I duly did and then sent it off for verification. Imagine my surprise when it came back, stating, no such address. I now know the reason for this, but there is nothing I can do about it. 
 Since then I can not go any further because 1, they do not recognise my email and 2, because my password does not have enough characters. 
I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Can you help please.

Oldruss.

descriptionMicrosoft Account Issues In Windows 8 EmptyRe: Microsoft Account Issues In Windows 8

more_horiz
Windows 8 is still pretty new to me. I think they are referring to a Microsoft account. If you don't have a MS account, you need to create one.

Is there a link to create a new account?

Also note, this HP laptop probably did not come with the restore disks that are required in the event of a hard drive failure. Once you get going on the machine, there should be a utility to create the disks. I suggest that you do so. You'll probably need 5 DVDs.

descriptionMicrosoft Account Issues In Windows 8 EmptyRe: Microsoft Account Issues In Windows 8

more_horiz
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, your right. You do have to have a Microsoft Account and your address has to be in anything BUT a POP format. Its a pity this warning is not given before you start. Also, most importantly, your password must have at least 8 characters, but less than 16. This information is required before you start, so you need to set up an account on another computer  first.
As for the link to create a new account, yes there is. BUT if your email address is not recognised and your password is to short, you are deep in manure. To change your email address, you have supply a password. And if your password is wrong, refer to email. Catch 22!
And don't bother trying to contact Microsoft Support, for exactly the same reason.
 Don't get me wrong. I in fact, quite like the Windows 8 OS. Its just the set up that is frustrating me.

more_horiz
How about that. Thanks for the followup info.

When I set up my Windows 8 machine, I somehow created my account using my gmail address.

more_horiz
That's the only way to do it. Use Gmail, Hotmail, Windows Live etc .

more_horiz
Sorted!! What I ended up doing, was changing my settings to what Windows 8 calls a Local Account rather than a MS Account. I then set up a Gmail Account with the appropriate numbers of characters (between 8 & 16) and then went back to my Account setup in Win 8. This time I was able to input the relevant info without being asked to supply my old address and password. SOLVED!!

more_horiz
That's good to know. Before I go looking, where did you find that setting? I don't have a Windows 8 machine running right now.

Thanks

more_horiz
The easiest way to change it, is to  slide the mouse to either RH corner, go to Settings Charm and click on it. At the bottom of the selections you will find the legend "Change PC Settings".
 Then in the list of options, click on users and that will bring up either "Switch to Local Account" or
"Switch to Microsoft Account" (Default). Proceed from there.

more_horiz
Interestingly, I had to do this today. A friend of mine is in the hospital. He called asking if he could borrow a laptop.

I created a new account fireproof him. Used the Local Account option.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum