WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionAccidently Disabled Start Up Progms and CAN NOT boot up!! EmptyAccidently Disabled Start Up Progms and CAN NOT boot up!!

more_horiz
MyDell laptop has Windows 7. I did not know what I was doing and just checked disable all in start up programs. Now all I get is a bluish screen. Does not go to desktop or load files. Pressed F8 and tried all the options: Safe mode with networking, command, last known start up, nothing. I did some kind of test that showed hard drive failed and Hard drive cables failed. Can some one help me please?? I certinly shouldn't have messed with it.
Valerie

descriptionAccidently Disabled Start Up Progms and CAN NOT boot up!! EmptyRe: Accidently Disabled Start Up Progms and CAN NOT boot up!!

more_horiz
No reply has been sent since my July 18th problem.

descriptionAccidently Disabled Start Up Progms and CAN NOT boot up!! EmptyRe: Accidently Disabled Start Up Progms and CAN NOT boot up!!

more_horiz
If you're referring to disabling all in msconfig's Startup tab, that should not prevent the computer from booting.

Sounds more like a failed hard drive.

If you have the install disk, you can boot to that and try the system restore.

more_horiz
Yes, that is what I did. Disabled all in msconfig start up tab. It does boot up to the windows start up but does not go to the desk top or anything else...just a white screen. Thank you for your reply

more_horiz
Disabling those entries should not have caused your problem. It's something else.

Why did you disable everything? My guess is that you were already experiencing a problem.

I've seen a white screen caused by malware. Before posting in that forum, try this:

a) Insert the Windows 7 System Repair DVD or Installation DVD and reboot.

b) Select the correct keyboard input method and click ‘Next’.

Note: If you are using the Windows7 Install DVD then at the 'Install Now' prompt (Do not pick the Install Now option) instead choose the 'Repair your computer' option located in the lower left of the display.

c) The System Repair tool will search for a valid operating system and will report that “Windows found problems with your computer’s startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?”

d) Click ‘Repair and restart’

Also see this from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

more_horiz
Thank you for your response. I disabled everything cause my son said it would crash on occasion. He uses it for listening to a lot of music. Anyway, I clicked it without taking the time to look at what I was actually doing. Nonetheless, he purchased a second hand laptop and does not have the Windows 7 Repair or installation CD. What can I do now? Do I need to purchase or can I download from the internet something for free?

more_horiz
Try booting to the Advanced Boot Options by tapping the F8 key while the machine is starting.

You should get a menu of options.
Try:
Last Known Good Configuration.

If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode. If you get it running using Safe Mode, you can go into msconfig again. But like I said, unchecking items in msconfig Startup tab shouldn't prevent the machine from booting properly.

I just thought of something, if you disabled Services using msconfig, that can cause problems.

more_horiz
Yes, that is what I probably did thinking I was disabling the start up items... I am such a goof! ... I tried the advanced boot and the last known config and safe mode. Nothing worked before but I will try again now.

more_horiz
Just tried it and it says "Starting Windows" then Loading window files/starting windows.. then goes to blank screen. Please advise. Thanks!

more_horiz
Something strange is going on here. It should have booted to Safe Mode, if not Last Known Good Configuration.

Do you have any Windows installations disks?

more_horiz
Hey, it booted to safe mode. My problem was I wasn't patient enough to wait for it to come up. It came up when I walked away. Now what do you suggest I do? I typed msconfig in but it does not respond. Not sure what to do next..I do not have windows installation disk.

more_horiz
I booted it to the last known config and it worked! It is now to the desktop. Is there anything I should do to check for a crashing issue..maybe malware or virus?

more_horiz
You can run scans with your malware protection software. What protection are you using?

more_horiz
Avast ...free antivirus

more_horiz
I like Avast. I recommend also using Malwarebytes Antimalware in addition to Avast's Free AntiVirus.

Here's the site: www.malwarebytes.org

It's 25 USD.

more_horiz
ok. Thanks!

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum