WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionBrowser Redirects - High System Resource Use - Rootkit Infection ? - Page 1 EmptyRe: Browser Redirects - High System Resource Use - Rootkit Infection ?

more_horiz
Yes, Windows 7 comes with a Recovery Console. This will take the computer back to the day it was purchased. This is for Vista but it's almost identical to Windows 7

Run the Vista Recovery Console.

1. Eject and remove any discs or memory cards from your computer.

2. Click the "Start" button on the desktop to open the Start menu, click the small arrow icon to the right of the lock icon and select "Restart".

3. Hold the "F8" key on your computer's keyboard as Windows Vista reboots.

4. Highlight and select "Repair your computer" choose your keyboard type and click "Next".

5. Choose your user name, type your password if prompted and click "OK" to access the System Recovery Options menu.

Here's a link that will help.

descriptionBrowser Redirects - High System Resource Use - Rootkit Infection ? - Page 1 EmptyRe: Browser Redirects - High System Resource Use - Rootkit Infection ?

more_horiz
Thanks, Dave.

I appreciate your analysis of the logs that I sent you and for giving me the confidence to proceed with this repair

I took the path of least resistance on this one. My wife said she had back-up copies of anything on her HDD that mattered....and that losing anything else made no difference to her. So, I simply formatted and reinstalled the OS. She is back in business with a fresh computer.

BTW, are you guys still offering the GeekPolice Academy ? GP has helped me several times over the years and if your team is willing to adequately train me to fight and remove malware, it would be my pleasure to begin my studies...so that one day I can help others on your site - the way that GP has helped me.

Again, many thanks for your assistance.

more_horiz
BTW, are you guys still offering the GeekPolice Academy ? GP has helped me several times over the years and if your team is willing to adequately train me to fight and remove malware, it would be my pleasure to begin my studies...so that one day I can help others on your site - the way that GP has helped me.
Again, many thanks for your assistance.

Make sure you scan the saved data with at least two updated AV's before putting them back on the computer.

Here's the link for GPA.

more_horiz
Thanks, again. Her laptop is out-of-the-box fresh and working great.

There were no documents on her computer, so no worries about that. The only items that will be put back on it are the photos she had. Rather than replace them from her back-ups on her USB-drive, I am going to replace them from the original source - which is her camera's SD card. I am also going to format the USB-drive before it is used again. Do I need to hold "Shift" key for a few seconds when I place it in a USB port on the computer ? How does holding the "Shift" key help during this process ?

I will follow the link to the GPA and put in my application to be considered for admission !

Thank you.

more_horiz
I am also going to format the USB-drive before it is used again. Do I need to hold "Shift" key for a few seconds when I place it in a USB port on the computer ? How does holding the "Shift" key help during this process ?

That's another good idea. Holding the shift key down while inserting the memory device prevents the autoruns from running. Here's a good little utility for USB devices.

Download Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine and save it to your desktop.

* Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop and a folder named USBVaccine will be created.
* Open that folder and double-click on USBVaccine.exe to start the program.
* Click Run
* Click the button to Vaccinate computer.
* Insert your USB flash drive.
* When the name of the drive appears in the dialog box, click the button to Vaccinate USB drive(s).
* Exit Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine when done.

Note: Computer AutoRun Vaccination will prevent any AutoRun file from running, regardless of whether the removable device is infected or not. USB Vaccination disables the autorun file so it cannot be read, modified or replaced by malicious code. The Panda Resarch Blog advises that once USB drives have been vaccinated, they cannot be reversed except with a format. If you do this, be sure to back up your data files first or they will be lost during the formatting process.
Good luck.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum