WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiredWX Christian Hobby Weather ToolsLog in

descriptionBlack screen O Death Please Help EmptyBlack screen O Death Please Help

more_horiz
Can't even boot up in safe mode to run AV. Downloaded Boot up OTLexe to flash drive, now says insert boot disk and hit any key, but will not boot. Shows client mac address no boot filename received.

E-Machine Vista Home:

Please help

Hora

descriptionBlack screen O Death Please Help EmptyRe: Black screen O Death Please Help

more_horiz
Bump, please.

descriptionBlack screen O Death Please Help EmptyRe: Black screen O Death Please Help

more_horiz
Hello and welcome to GeekPolice.Net My name is Dave. I will be helping you out with your particular problem on your computer.

1. I will be working on your Malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.
2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
3. If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to ask.
4. Please DO NOT run any other tools or scans while I am helping you.
5. It is important that you reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
6. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
7. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.

If you can't access the internet with your infected computer you will have to download and transfer any programs to the computer you're using now and transfer them to the infected computer with a CD-RW or a USB storage device. I prefer a CD because a storage device can get infected. If you use a storage device hold the shift key down while inserting the USB storage device for about 10 secs. You will also have to transfer the logs you receive back to the good computer using the same method until we can get the computer back on-line.
After you start your computer using this disk please try to save all your important data to DVD-RW's then run the scan and post the log.

We are going to be using a Windows Recovery Environment to help disinfect the system so it may boot again.

Download the OTLPE Standard REATOGO Windows Recovery Environment.

• Place a blank CD-R disc in to your CD burning drive.
  • Download OTLPEStd.exe and double-click on it to burn to a CD using an ISO Burner. One can be found here.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
  • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
  • Change Drivers to Non-Microsoft
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\_OTL\MovedFiles
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

more_horiz
Dave, thanks for helping:

I have already downloaded the OTLPEStd and Rkill onto a flash drive using this new laptop. I don't think the cd drive was working properly on the infected machine even before the infection. Another mod here at GP was helping me with that, but I don;t think we ever got the CD problem completely resolved. If we can find that thread it has the last log fom the sick machine.

I DO NOT want to infect this new machine, it's a new Toshiba Quad core. I've already had the flash drive in this machine after having it in the infected machine.

I just now ran Norton Utilities on the flash drive and it shows to be clean. I inserted the flash drive in the infected machine and turned it on. All I get is a black screen that says, Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key. When I reinserted the flash drive and hit any key I get the same black screen saying what I posted above.

I will try a CD if you think the Flash drive may infect my new laptop.

Thanks again.
Hora

more_horiz
I will try a CD if you think the Flash drive may infect my new laptop.

OTLPE will not run from a USB storage device. I would like you to try the CD. You can use a CD-RW so you can re-use it if it doesn't work.
OTLPE is a great program and will boot your computer so that you can at least save all your important data. If you use a storage device hold the shift key down while inserting the USB storage device for about 10 secs.This will prevent transfer of infections. If OTL doesn't work please try this one. You may have to change your boot order to boot from the CD or USB drive.

If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

Go to this link to create a Rescue CD or to this site to create a Rescue USB. Carefully follow all the instructions for whichever method you choose.

more_horiz
Nope. I burned OTLPE to a dvd and still get the same. No bootable device, insert bootdisk and press any key. tried tapping f8 for safe mode but no luck.

more_horiz
I burned OTLPE to a dvd and still get the same. No bootable device, insert bootdisk and press any key. tried tapping f8 for safe mode but no luck.

I just want to be sure that you did this correctly. This is an ISO file and must be burned to the CD with a ISO burner. Just burning it to a CD of DVD will not work. Please review my instructions for OTLPE to ensure that it was done correctly.

more_horiz
Ok. I burned the OTLPE with the ISO burner, then booted but still nothing, I pressed delete for setop still nothing but black screen. The REATOGO does not show up.

more_horiz
horahack wrote:
Ok. I burned the OTLPE with the ISO burner, then booted but still nothing, I pressed delete for setop still nothing but black screen. The REATOGO does not show up.

Did you go in the BIOS and change the boot order to boot first from the CD?

more_horiz
It does.t give me a setup option. I can.t get into the Bios to change the boot order.

more_horiz
Please try this: Try OTLPE boot disk in another good working computer. If the disk was created correctly it should boot the computer. Don't worry, it won't harm the computer. Just try it to see if you are able to get the REATOGO screen. I just want to verify that the disk is ok.

more_horiz
Yes. I tried it on the wife's Everex Windows XP anb it works, although it took forever to load up. Her machine runs a tad slow. It may be lightly infected as well.

more_horiz
I don't suppose you have the Vista OS disk? Do you know if the Recovery Console is installed on that computer?

more_horiz
No. I don't have the os disk on any of these machines. As for the Recovery console, I'm not sure where to look. That machine has some problems, probably just loaded down with ad-ware. It will no longer conect to the internet hardwired to my router. I have these two Toshiba laptops that are picking up the Wi-Fi through the router just fine, but the other two that are connected by Cat 5 cable won't conect. The E-Machine that we are now working on was conecting by cable just fine until the Black Screen of Death infection. Now I can't get through the boot up.

I know this one is not going to be a quick fix. Thanks for your time. Awaiting your next suggestion.

more_horiz
Bump

more_horiz
As for the Recovery console, I'm not sure where to look.

If the Recovery Console was installed you should see using Windows Explorer. Just click on the C drive. If the RC is there you should see a partition. You can also try this:

Run the Vista Recovery Console.

1. Eject and remove any discs or memory cards from your computer.

2. Click the "Start" button on the desktop to open the Start menu, click the small arrow icon to the right of the lock icon and select "Restart".

3. Hold the "F8" key on your computer's keyboard as Windows Vista reboots.

4. Highlight and select "Repair your computer" choose your keyboard type and click "Next".

5. Choose your user name, type your password if prompted and click "OK" to access the System Recovery Options menu.

more_horiz
No. Still nothing but the black screen and PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

Then: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

more_horiz
This is looking more and more like a harddrive failure. You could try using this to examine the harddrive.If you don't know the maker of your harddrive you will have to open the box to look at the harddrive or perhaps get that information from Emachines.

Run hard drive diagnostics: tacktech.com
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: imgburn to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here:

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

more_horiz
You may be right, Dave. I have another hard drive here. I'm wondering, if I have to get into the case, anyway, to ID the drive, if I can just plug another hardrive into the E-machine and see if it works. Would the conections be the same. It's a 15 gig Ultra DMA hardrive from a HP Pavillion.

more_horiz
if I can just plug another hardrive into the E-machine and see if it works.

Only if you're prepared to install an OS on that drive.

more_horiz
That hardrive should have XP already installed on it. Would the OS have to be reinstalled just putting that drive into the E-machine?

more_horiz
horahack wrote:
That hardrive should have XP already installed on it. Would the OS have to be reinstalled just putting that drive into the E-machine?

If you put another harddrive into that machine with nothing on it, nothing will happen. You will have to install an OS on the drive. If you put the drive as a slave you will get nothing since your main drive will not boot. Your best bet would be to run the harddrive diagnostics to see what's happening with that drive.

more_horiz
Can't find emachine on the list, or even gateway. This is the hard drive according to a google search on the T5086:

250GB SATA II (7200RPM, 8MB Cache)

more_horiz
This is the only one I could find for Gateway.

more_horiz
I burned the 7510801.exe
file to a dvd, but still get nothing on boot up. Does it require a ISO burner? The one I downloaded has expired.

more_horiz
Does it require a ISO burner?

Yes, an ISO burner. It should create a bootable disk.

more_horiz
Where can I get one? The one you recommended before has expired.

more_horiz
This is the only one I could find but I couldn't investigate further because I don't know what model of computer you have.

more_horiz
The above link won't open. This is a new Toshiba Satellite L775. Should I just uninstall the ISO burner and try reinstalling it. It was working but the 7 day trial demo timed out.

more_horiz
This is a new Toshiba Satellite L775. Should I just uninstall the ISO burner and try reinstalling it. It was working but the 7 day trial demo timed out..

If it's a new laptop why not go back for your warranty? Yes, you can download a new ISO burner.

more_horiz
Because the laptop is not the machine that.s down. I'm pretty sure the burner on the laptop is an ISO burrner.

more_horiz
Because the laptop is not the machine that.s down. I'm pretty sure the burner on the laptop is an ISO burrner..

The ISO burner is a separate program that you need to download and use to create the ISO disk.

more_horiz
Ok. I downloaded another ISO burner. It's called Soft32 Downloader, that is bundled with some other spam, evidently, if I do the quick install. I have to do advanced to keep the unwanted toolbars off my machine. But I can't figure out how to burn the 7510801 file. When I click on the desktop icon it says it is already running. It is version 8.25 I do NOT want to run the "Free Scan on this laptop, just burn the boot disk.

more_horiz
Ok. I downloaded another ISO burner. It's called Soft32 Downloader, that is bundled with some other spam, evidently, if I do the quick install. I have to do advanced to keep the unwanted toolbars off my machine. But I can't figure out how to burn the 7510801 file. When I click on the desktop icon it says it is already running. It is version 8.25 I do NOT want to run the "Free Scan on this laptop, just burn the boot disk..

I downloaded that file and I'm afraid that it's no good for your problem. It does not create a bootable disk and, even if you could create such a disk, I don't think your CD ROM is working correctly. The only solution I can see now is to install a new harddrive and install your OS on it. You can try slaving your present harddrive to another computer and retrieve all you important data.

more_horiz
How can I slave the infected harddrive without infecting the new computer?

more_horiz
horahack wrote:
How can I slave the infected harddrive without infecting the new computer?

You're problem with a defective hard drive.

more_horiz
I think the harddrive was infected before it crashed. The virus maybe caused the crash?

more_horiz
The virus maybe caused the crash?

It may have caused it to crash but I doubt it caused it to become defective.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum